Search

car rentals

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 07:41 PM
bob k

car rentals

we travel frequently but have never made it to ireland in the past...now we intend to do that at the end of February...i know not the best time of year...<BR>i am aware that the usual waiving of insurance, based on your credit card coverage, is almost non-existent in Ireland, based on their history, i guess....BUT it seems that there is a rip-off underway....everyone i check with wants to charge me twice as much for the 10 day rental when you include the insurance....the 10 days of insurance is about 25% of my massachusetts car insurance (some of the highest insurance rates in this country)<BR><BR>does anyone have any suggestions or any way around this issue?<BR><BR>thanks<BR><BR>bob k

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Chris

There are Mastercards that will cover the CDW in Ireland. One I believe is Capital One. You may have to have a certain level of card.<BR>Even if you purchase the insurance from the rental companies, there is sometimes a deductible that you will be responsible for if there is damage to the car. The amount varies with the type of car you rent.<BR>And then some companies will sell you Super CDW, which will cost even more, but will cover more damage.<BR>Good luck.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:58 AM
MC

Using a MasterCard is the only way to waive the CDW. And make sure you check with the company you're renting from to make certain your MC qualifies.<BR><BR>Rip off? Probably. But if you want to rent a car in Ireland you're gonna have to deal with it. Don't let it ruin your vacation.<BR><BR>If you do a search at this site you will find all sorts of contentious and entertaining discussion on this topic.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Mavis

We used Mastercard and booked through Autoeurope, declining extra CDW insurance, and had no problems at all. Autoeurope suggested we have a letter fr. Mastercard, we didn't but we did bring the policy description. Re: rates, Autoeurope has a page where they will better any cheaper rates you find and after going through a number of on-line agencies we found a very reasonable rate fr. Dan Dooley which Autoeurope beat by 10%. Remember you will also have to pay, when you pick up the car, a fee for picking up/dropping off at an airport and a road tax. <BR><BR>We have travelled in Ireland a number of times with rental cars and always take particular care to go over the damage report on the vehicle we have before we leave the lot. If there are any problem areas I take about five or six photos walking around the car just to have as proof in case I need it. Also check the gas. For some reason, and this has only happened to us in Ireland and Spain, they will charge you for a full tank of gas but you may not have one. Have fun.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Mina

I don't know if they still do this, but if you have Diner's Club, check their policy. They may cover CDW in Ireland. I also read that usually it's only mastercard platinum that covers it.<BR><BR>And I'm all for the super deluxe insurance. I lost a rearview mirror (and I have no idea how it happened). The extra insurance cost me 40 or 50 euro over 11 days. The mirror would have cost about 90. I was only surprised I didn't blow out my tires too(which are also covered with the primo insurance from Dan Dooley, BTW).

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 05:52 PM
bob

thanks all of you for your suggestions...i have a couple of m/c cards so will check them out including capital one....<BR><BR>bob

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 06:44 PM
cd

Please post the Mastercard Capitol One reply. We were in Ireland and purchased the insurance offered by the car agency except we did not purchase the full coverage and should have as we ended up paying 700.00 in deductions. We just called Mastercard today asking about coverage in Mexico and was told yes and that the only places they would not cover is Ireland, Israel, and Jamacia

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 07:16 PM
Laura

Just got back.Diners Club most definitly covers CDW.I got the card just because it covers CDW!

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 04:33 AM
xxx

What's CDW?

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 03:57 PM
Laura

CDW is Collision Damage Waiver.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 06:22 PM
Summer

We just booked with Dan Dooley (over the phone, 800 number). Cheapest rate I could find anywhere on the web (including their own website &amp; autoeurope).<BR><BR>My sister's Platinum MBNA MasterCard is covering the CDW (both for herself &amp; an additional driver, my father, as long as the car is charged to her card). I had her call and check. I am going to call MBNA this weekend and ask them to mail me a copy of their coverage policy. Many people online have recommended taking a paper copy of the MasterCard coverage with you on the trip.<BR><BR Summer

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:05 AM
bill

Here is the website for the auto insurance through MC. It is not the bank that provides the coverage (at least that is what the bank told me), but MC themselves. You must check with the company to make sure they accept the MC coverage. I don't believe that it is Capitol One that actually provides the coverage.<BR><BR>http://www.mastercard.com/cardholderservices/guidetobenefits/masterrental_insurance.html<BR><BR>Bill

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 12:27 PM
kathy

According to the mastercard website, damage TO THE CAR is covered, but NOT liability for other car, personal injury or property damage. I always thought my own car insurance would pay, but just checked, and I'm not covered! Anyone know HOW liability is covered?

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 01:02 PM
bill

Hi Kathy:<BR><BR>Hey, I just wrote to you on Everything Ireland. <BR><BR>Car rental companies in Ireland are required to provide what they call third party liability. That is part of your rental. It is different here in the States. I just confirmed that through O'Scannlain travel.<BR><BR>Bill

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 01:13 PM
kathy

Hi, Bill!<BR>We're meeting up all over the web! <BR>Thanks for the info...I finally laid the CDW to rest - MC covers it...accepting CDW INCREASES your liability since you have a deductible.<BR>And liability is covered automaticly. Why in heavens name would anyone PAY for CDW????

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 02:11 PM
bill

A agree Kathy. I worked with O'Scannlain/Hertz this year and got a great price for the car. I haven't seen one better yet, but I may. The advantage is that they are letting me drop off an pick up a second car at Galway Airport, which I will be driving right past on the morning of my halfway point. MC allows you to rent a new car from a different pick up point and continue the coverage. Hertz did not charge extra for this. This allows me to rent for more tha 15 days. Some of the rental companies charged extra for non-airport drop offs. MC also sent me a full copy of their deal and a letter of coverage. I finally think I have this figured out, but it took me a couple of tries.<BR><BR>Also, on the Diners Club deal, they allow up to 30 days coverage and they include Ireland. They are expensive though $90-300 per year.<BR><BR>Bill