car rental question

Jul 15th, 2012, 11:44 AM
ez1
Original Poster

car rental question

I'm trying to rent a car for 6 days in October in Puglia. Called autoeurope in the US and there is no way I can convince them to give me the prices I see on the Italian site. They are telling me they don't even see the cars that I see on the Italian site on their list. My question is: Is there some reason I should not book directly with AutoEurope Italia on their website? I don't speak Italian but have no problem understanding/navigating the site (including excess liability waiver).
Also, for 4 people and luggage (transporting luggage from Bari Airport to masseria, and then to Lecce) what would be the minimum size car to rent? We will probably have 4 regular size suitcases and 2 carry ons. (We'll be traveling for nearly 4 weeks ...) I'm thinking of a Fiat Ulysse or Citroen C8... both 7 passenger vans. Also considering 2 cars for luggage, and then using one car for day trips. I would be very grateful for any advice you may have.
PS Sorry if this is posted twice... my first message seems to have disappeared
Jul 15th, 2012, 02:04 PM

try: www.carrentals.com

i've had great luck with them
Jul 15th, 2012, 02:51 PM
ez1
Original Poster

I'm trying to get the best insurance. Auto Europe seems to offer the most comprehensive coverage, although carrentals does have good prices. Still wondering about the size car. Thank you for your recommendation.
Jul 15th, 2012, 03:03 PM

You will need a full size wagon or a van. You will never get that luggage in a sedan. Also look at Kemwel.com---a sister company of AE with full coverage insurance.
Jul 15th, 2012, 07:15 PM
ez1
Original Poster

Thanks Bob. Checked Kemwel, which is even more expensive than the US AutoEurope. I'm taking your advice and renting a 7 person van, and st cirq's advice to contract directly with Italy. Saving about $1,000. Unvbelievable.
Jul 15th, 2012, 10:56 PM

I've had good luck with http://www.economycarrentals.com/ in Turkey, Sicily and Poland.
Jul 16th, 2012, 06:19 AM
ira

Hi ez,

>Is there some reason I should not book directly with AutoEurope Italia on their website?<

If they offer the same car and the same insurance, no.

Have you tried www.kemwel.com? They are an AE affiliate. Same service, usually lower prices.

Jul 16th, 2012, 06:26 AM

Hi ez

Are you looking at http://www.autoeurope.it or http://www.autoeuropa.it ?

Similar names, different companies.
Jul 16th, 2012, 09:38 AM
ez1
Original Poster

Looking at autoeurope.it for Puglia. Also for the Tuscany portion of the trip (Arezzo area)seriously considering economy car rentals. Their rates are competitive and the site is in english.