Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How much collision insurance do I need for car rental?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to rent for one week through Hertz directly, as I can use my American Express Reward points. Collision is not included and is not mandatory. Should I get some for piece of mind, and if so, how much? Also, what is the necessary coverage for Italy? I want to make sure that we have everything we need for a stress-free Honeymoon! Thank you!
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Woops! This post is for car rental in Italy.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 08:01 AM
ira

Hi Jenna,

This link will give you some good information
http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/rentcar.htm

>I want to make sure that we have everything we need for a stress-free Honeymoon!<

Have you and your fiancee drven in Italy before? If not, you might want to reconsider if you want a stress-free honemoon.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 08:05 AM

Someone may have a more accurate answer, but this is the first time I've heard of an Italian car rental that didn't require and include the insurance, including collision. Am I wrong?
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 08:09 AM

You said you were an Amex member, so why don't you just take their relatively new $24.95 rental package..it includes up to $100,000 collision along with all the other...check it out..a good deal....
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 08:59 AM

I believe Patrick is correct - in Italy you get, and pay for, the CDW whether you want/need it or not.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 01:55 PM
sandi

Maybe the Rewards Points can be applied to the actual rental, but have to agree with other poster that the insurance is included in the price - this is Italy. Check with Amex as to how to handle the insurance portion.

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 01:59 PM

When I rented in Italy from Hertz, the CDW was optional.
See if your American Express card will fully cover you in Italy.
If you want a stress free honeymoon, you might consider whatever will give you a ZERO deductible.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 03:04 PM

Hmmm. Please double check me on this, because I called Amex 3 times about their car rental insurance that comes with my card as a benefit. In VERY small print Italy is one of the countries that is EXCLUDED. At least this is the way I read it and perhaps I am mistaken. I know one of the other countries excluded is Israel.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 10:11 PM

PLMN, I'm thinking that the Amex card won't cover Italy because the car rental agreement/pricing itself covers Italy (mandatory).
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 03:05 AM

Get it to absolutely zero deductible and make sure there cannot be any hidden charges by the company for "loss of use" in case the auto is damaged.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 03:08 AM

I seem to recall that on my other credit cards that offer car insurance in foreign countries that Italy was also excluded.

I am trying to find the paperwork and will post the appropriate sections as soon as I can find them.

Be back shortly.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 03:21 AM

AMERICAN EXPRESS:

"Car rental loss and damage insurance provides the Cardmember, if the Cardmember is the primary renter, (as defined below)with insurance coverage for damage to or theft of most Rental Autos when the cardmember uses the card (as described below)to reserve and pay for an auto rental from any commercial car rental company. ("Rental Company&quot other than those located in Australia, Ireland, Israel, ITALY, Jamaica, and New Zealand. (1) This coverage is always EXCESS insurance."

I called the company to double check and was told it was so.

Have I been given misinformation? The way this reads backs up what I was told. And this clause is pretty much what my other card insurance programs are I think.

I can't remember where I heard it but I thought I was told this is pretty usual because renting in those countries is a high liability.

What is the scoop on all this?

I got tired of checking all my cards for a way to get the insurance from them by using their cards so I just got the all inclusive set up from AutoEurope.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 03:31 AM
ira

Hi Jenna,

I suggest that you purchase the Super CDW TP package.

You can find details at the Hertz website under "Rental Qualifications and Requirements".
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 07:11 AM

I always take the Auto Europe all inclusive rate for France...this time I also purchased the AMEX $24.94 coverage. This will cover the Collision $1,000. deductible and the Theft $1,200. deductible...Yes, you are correct, Italy is excluded for coverage....guess that tells you something!!!
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I ended up going through Hertz directly(using AmEx membership rewards to pay for some of it, but not using the card to pay as Italy is not covered). I also am purchasing the Super CDW for an additional 77E for the week, which will give us a zero deductable (thanks Ira).
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 02:41 PM
ira

You're welcome, Jenna.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 06:52 AM

From a pure cost/benefit view, CDW is a terrible waste of money unless you are a truly horrible driver. However, it could well be worth the peace of mind it can provide. Keep in mind that even "100%" coverage often has some exclusions.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 06:58 AM

CDW is very worthwhile as it removed the need to pay an excess. With hire cars you're often far less cautious than with your own vehicle. I nearly always have a little knock here or there with them, CDW will give you and your wallet peace of mind.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 07:25 AM

We only book through AutoEurope because EVERYTHING is included and there is ZERO deductible for collision. See if AMEX will pay for that instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -