Looking for Tips for a Trip to Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a 10 - 14 day trip to Italy in June, 2012 and am looking for suggestions for an itinerrary. We are a family of 6, 2 adults, 3 teenagers and an 8 year old. I was thinking Rome, Tuscany and Venice but am totally open to suggestions. Thanks!
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 10:19 AM

You need to tell us why you want to go to Italy in the first place and what are the interests of you and the family. It will ne much easier to make suggestions if we have input on your interests. Do you like museums, architecture, hiking,beaches, mountains, churches, etc.?
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 10:28 AM

Is the number of days actual days on the ground or does it include the day you arrive and the day you leave (you really can;t count either one). If you have 14 full days on the ground your schedule makes sense. If you have only 10 days - but really 8 on the round - you should limit it to 2 places.

With 4 kids I would look at renting an apartment (or you will need 2 triple or 3 double rooms). An apartment will give you the option to do breakfast at home if you want - as well as some snacks -- which with 3 teens can drive your food budget sky high. (Sodas in Italy are tiny - an 8 oz can - and expensive. With 4 kids they can easily cost more than $40 a day. And if any of the teens are boys who are big eaters (I remember how my brother could empty the fridge in a couple of hours) you don;t want to be paying restaurant prices for all they eat. Also, this way you will have a LR to gather in - rather than all squashing into one room for planning/organizing etc.

If you have enough time I would pick up a van when leaving Rome and use it in Tuscany (you will need it to get around) and drop it in when arriving in Venice.

One thing you might consider is reversing the trip - since the flights out of Venice to the US are very early in the day - while there are several flights from Rome back to the US at reasonable hours.

If you search below there are numerous threads about renting apartments - which I would advise you do early - since with 6 you will need an apartment larger than most (they tend to be 1 bedroom with a sleep sofa - but you will need 2 and probably want 2 baths as well - quite rare).
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 10:33 AM

That is the exact itinerrary that I took my husband on in Oct. of 2010 to celebate our 25th wedding anniversary only we started in Venice & finished in Rome. We stayed 6 days in Venice & loved every minute of it. I believe it is best to stay in Venice to enjoy the everyday life there, get lost in the streets, and enjoy it after the tourist have left. And once you get lost, if you have a map, it's not hard to get unlost - but in the mean time you enjoy Venice. We rented an appartment for the majority of our stay in Venice & moved to a hotel for a short while. I'd recommend an appartment. In Tuscany, we stayed at a B&B called Fattoria Tregole (www.fattoria-tregole.com), wonderful place & Edith is a delightful hostest. They have several choices for rooms + small appartments that should fit your family. We spent 4 days in Tuscany & next time would like to stay closer to 6 or 7 days. We took the train from Venice to Florence and then rented a car. My husband had no issues driving in Tuscany or Rome for that matter. I purchased a book about Italy from Barnes & Noble which gave the street signs along with their meanings to help him drive. For Rome, we stayed out of the city at LA POSTA VECCHIA Hotel. It is a lovely hotel, VERY expensive, and a long drive to Rome if the traffic is bad. It is right on the Sea & the accomidations were wonderful but next time I'll look for an appartment in Rome. Rome was great for the history & I'm glad we visited but for us 4 days was enough of the hussel & bussel. I am currently working on a trip for next June to take our kids & spouse (18,19,20, & 22 yr.+wife) for a 16-18 day trip. Most likely, it will be to the same spots; probably start in Rome for 4 days, Tuscany for 7 days & Venice for 7 days....I can't wait! Hope you have a wonderful time! Oh, one of the top 5 recommendations we received: when looking for a place to eat,look for a place that the locals will eat. Don't go to the touristy places. The food will not be as good, nor the service. Some of our favorite memories are of the resturants that your every day places Italian eat at, and don't worry about speaking the language, it always seems to work out. Another good recommendation: purchase Rosetta Stone. You'll be amazed at the words you'll pick up & how it will help. Have fun, wish I was going too
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 10:42 AM

Nice plan 4 days or so in each city.

ricksteves.com

eurocheapo.com

virtualtourist.com

good info

With 6 family rooms in otels booking.com Otel.com

Italyby.com for apartments more expensive a little nicer.

seat61.com family group rates are cheap on Italian trains

tigercarrental.com nice in rural areas have done it

but expensvie a liability in big cities.

Also be aware that each city as a new euro 2 euro/pp/pd

city tax that might be pretty expensive so factor that in.

Happy Planning
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 10:42 AM

I just re-read your question, and saw your dates. Some how I thought it was this summer yet but it looks like we are planning to go to Italy about the same time next year. I would also tell you, you're not working on this too far in advance. Pick up a few books on traveling to Italy & check out other threads in this web site. This site gave me lots of support & ideas from others who had traveled to Italy.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 10:51 AM

I voice a different opinion on Venice. Unless you are planning to do day trips from Venice, 3 nights is enough.
The city is very, very crowded because of the cruise ships and the hotels are very, very expensive. I would spend more time in Tuscany if I were you. Since you will have a car, I would choose one or two locations from which you can visit
hill towns etc. The food will be better in Tuscany, also. Your younger members might be a little disappointed that the food differs from that thought of as "Italian" in the United States. I suggest the Donna Leon mysteries before you go to Venice. You could even make a game of searching out the detective's favorite hangouts while there-a favorite pastime for British tourists! Have fun!

Pat
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 11:24 AM

We traveled to Italy with our 13 & 16 year olds 2 summers ago. They really enjoyed Rome (spent 3 nights would have liked longer), were bored to tears in Tuscany (we did 3 nites); enjoyed Venice (3 nites)....& we also took 4 nights in Amalfi/Capri which they also really enjoyed...& ended our trip in the Italian Lakes which they liked...depends on your kids, but Tuscany was the least enjoyable part of the trip for us as a family with teens.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 12:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
we spent a week in venice with our kids then aged 16 & 19 and it was not too long. if it had been we'd have got the train to Padua or Verona for a day. so 4 days should be fine, especially if you rent an apartment - normally they have a 3 night minimum.

then I would suggest moving to somewhere like siena for the middle of your trip - hire a car and you can use it as a base for touring the area. WHy not an agriturismo? for the reasons spungecake gives. I have found with teenagers especially that it is very nice to have shops and other places of interest to wander around in the evening. your teens will be able to wander off by themselves for short periods and people-watching is an entertainment in itself. they will be bored to death in a villa or flat in the countryside, though access to a swimming pool would help. the other advantage of staying in a town is that once you have returned, the adults in your party can have a drink without worrying about drink-driving. [this may or may not be important to you!]

then onto Rome - a fantastic finale to your trip. again, an apartment is the way to go.

for a trip of this length, three bases will be quite enough.

have a great trip!
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 12:25 PM

Chuck,
Consider just Rome and Tuscany, the less moving the easier it will be. This will give you some ideas for Tuscany http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 02:30 PM

I so agree with our annhig that teens enjoy being off on their own in the evening where there is some action. I tried to tell some family member that a few years ago but they went ahead and rented a place in the countryside of Tuscany. They loved it and "knew" their two teens would also especially since there was a swimming pool on the property. Well the teens didn't and spent the entire time each and every evening whining and sulking that "there is nothing to do!" and there really wasn't.

I have always found teens enjoy Venice and Rome the most and Florence is the third on the list, well unless you end up in Capri and meet your first love that is. All teens are different of course as are all travellers. I would suggest getting your teens involved with doing research, Chuck, and have them give you feedback as to what interests they have regarding your trip. Having said that a family trip to Italy will make for a lifetime of beautiful memories!