Search

Suggestion for 10 days

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2019, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestion for 10 days

Hi Everyone,

My friend and I would like to visit Italy in November. We have 10 days in Italy with a day before and after for travel. We don't have anything set yet but she would like to visit the sites in Rome and I would like to see Tuscany and or Venice. I realize Tuscany is a very large area and it has been suggested that I stay in Florence and day trip out to some of the towns. The general thought is fly into Venice and fly out of Rome. We weren't planning on renting a car but am not opposed to the idea. We were thinking of trains between the major areas. We hadn't figured out the transportation for the day tripping yet. Someone also suggested going to Sorrento but I wasn't sure if that would be too much in the time we have. I wanted to see what those are more experienced suggest. Thanks
Old May 7th, 2019, 12:47 PM

At this stage it is best to spend some time with a guide book. I find getting random suggestions a but overwhelming, but certainly Venice-Florence-Rome would be your typical first trip itinerary. That would leave little time for the Tuscan countryside, so you could either give one of those cities a cursory glance or save them for a return trip.
Old May 7th, 2019, 12:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You've already got the trip planned! Seriously

Fly into Venice, stay 3-4 days, to Florence for 1-2 days, then Rome for the rest of your time, 4-5 days.

Fly into Venice and out of Rome, train between the three cities. Easy peasy.
Old May 7th, 2019, 12:51 PM

We've taken several 10 day-ish trips to Italy; that's about the length of time we can get away for and can afford.

You will get so many ideas and everyone will recommend where they went and what they liked.

I think you can do all three of these if you're OK with moving fast and can fly in to Rome or Venice, and out of the other.
Please let us know what it is you really want to see and do, otherwise every expert that's been to Italy will tell you about their trip and how they did it.
Old May 7th, 2019, 12:52 PM

Just do Venice, Florence with day trip to Siena a perfect Tuscan hill city just an hour by bus from Florence.

Venice 3 nights
Florence 3 nights
Rome 4 nights

Yes trains are great and cars useless in cities - book your own at www.trenitalia.com or www.trenoitalo.com - 2 competing railways using same tracks and stations - www.seat61.com has great tips on booking own trains - general train info BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com. Not enough time to do more or rent a car.
Old May 9th, 2019, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate it. A couple of additional questions.

1) Day trips from Florence--Sienna was mentioned which was one town I was looking at but I was wondering if there were any other areas you would suggest a day trip to? Or a tour that you would recommend that will let me see more of the Tuscan countryside? I'm not a huge city fan so a trip of all cities is a bit weird for me.
2) Are there any day trips from Rome that you would recommend? I know someone said that trying to add another location is not feasible but can you day trip to Pompeii or Capri or the Amalfi Coast? Can any of the recommendations be done by train or word I need a car?

Thank you again for the help. Usually when I travel I stay local and visit the country so this is a different planning experience for me. PS if you have any suggestions on where to stay in Venice, Florence or Rome (safe, clean, close to the sites) I'd love to hear them.
Old May 9th, 2019, 05:11 AM

I would suggest three nights in Venice, three nights in Florence, and 4 nights in Rome. This probably leaves you one extra night, which you can add to one of the three cities after you've decided exactly what you want to see.

A day trip to Siena is certainly a possibility, but another possibility is to take an organized tour into the countryside. There are lots of tours to choose from. My daughter took a wine tour, which she enjoyed. It took them to several cute little towns, to one or two vineyards, and included lunch at a vineyard. If you have a short time, this type of trip makes efficient use of the time. Other places that are easy to visit from Florence are Lucca, Pisa, and Arezzo.

You haven't given us much of an idea of how you'd like to spend your time. Are you very interested in history or art? If so, which periods interest you? Are you interested in fine dining or wine? Are you into shopping? What sorts of things? Do you want to hike in the countryside or just see it? We could give you much better ideas if we knew more about your interests.
Old May 9th, 2019, 05:42 AM

Lots of great advice here. If it were me (and it was, this is pretty much our first trip to Italy... like many others) I would do:

Venice - 2 nights. I found this to be the perfect amount of time here. Obviously depends on your interests but I think the extra night is better served in Florence or Rome. But to each their own!
Florence - 3 nights. My suggestion is to no commit yourself to day trips in advance. We did that on our first trip (luckily they were refundable). Once we got to Florence, we absolutely fell in love and didn't want to leave. We ended up exploring the Tuscan countryside on our honeymoon instead. Florence is magical!
Rome - 5 nights.

In Florence, we love renting Airbnbs in the Alto Arno. There is a wonderful trattoria, Cammillo Trattoria (Borgo S. Jacopo, 57/r), that we adore. We tend to stay within a couple of blocks of there, prime Alto Arno.

For Rome, I find its one of those cities where it pays off to stay central. And make sure you are walking distance to a metro station. 5 nights might seem like a lot when you only have 10 to play with but Rome is HUGE (and wonderful). You will stay busy.

Have fun. That first trip to Italy is magic
Old May 9th, 2019, 07:07 AM

I would also give only two nights to Venice. I suppose you’re flying in there, so you’ll have part of Day 1 when you can walk around and take in the sights and vibe of the city. This is also the best way to get over jetlag.

The next day do a tour of the Doge’s Palace and/or climb the Campanile. Do a walking tour, either with a tour operator or self-guided. Get lost and explore the place.

Day 3 take an early train to Florence for 3-4 nights. As bvlenci suggests you may like to take a tour into the Tuscan countryside. We did one a few years back, we visited San Gimigano, Siena and a Chianti winery where we tasted 3-4 wines, followed by lunch. It made for a pleasant day, I’d been before but DH got to see a bit of Tuscany. But we had six days in Florence, with this one day trip, so you may want to consider the option based on your interests.

I would allot the remaining time to Rome, IMO there’s more than enough to see and do there. You could maybe do a day trip to Naples and Pompeii, but it would make for a very long day. Adding the Amalfi Coast to the mix would be way too much I feel.

Once you decide what you want to see and do pre-book all your museum timed tickets so that you don’t wait in line, easy to do online. But also keep some slack time to just wander around, stop for a gelato, have a picnic with a bottle of wine and some cheese and bread, making your own sandwiches.

You’ll get more specific information once you tell us what your interests are. With DH and I it’s always history, architecture, museums, etc.
Old May 10th, 2019, 08:38 AM

Geetika's suggestion for Venice is nice, but it's two quite full days, so it would require three nights. If you get there early enough on your first day, and if you aren't exhausted after your trip, you could do a brief version on the first day, and get away with two nights.

There are many day tours of the Tuscan countryside, all very much the same. Your hotel can probably recommend one. I wouldn't reserve until you get there, as you may change your mind.
​​
If you don't take an organized tour, you could see some countryside taking the bus to Siena, but you'd see more with a tour.

If you're not much interested in art museums, you can spend the first day on a self-guided walking tour. If you want to see some Renaissance art, go to one of the museums that has no reservations and no lines, such as the Bargello. Or visit the Basilica of S. Maria Novella, a beautiful church full of works by famous artists.
Old May 10th, 2019, 08:59 AM

Since cities aren't your thing, I strongly suggest you take a day or half day for Torcello while in Venice. It's magical, and I will always go back when in Venice.

While in Rome, the easiest day trip with the most bang for your time and money, IMO, is Ostia Antica.

For Florence, you've already been given the excellent suggestion to take an organized day tour of the Tuscan countryside. I don't even drink wine, but if it was the way to see the countryside and a few small towns, I would take a wine tour.

For hotels: what is your budget, in euros please?
Old May 10th, 2019, 09:41 AM

Hadrian's Villa and Tivoli with it awesome garden of spouting fountains in a monastery garden, is also a god day trip by bus from Rome. But Ostia Antica is really nice - a Pompeii sans super crowds.