Car Rental near Dingle

Jan 18th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Car Rental near Dingle

Hi Everyone! My husband and I will be in Ireland from June 10th thru the 23rd.

We will fly into Dublin on the 10th and spend a few days.

We have http://www.couminolecottage.com/ from the 13th til the 20th. Instead of renting a car in Dublin and driving down, we thought we would take the train to Tralee, rent a car, and drive to Dingle. I'm having a problem as to where to rent a car. The train goes as far as Tralee, but I need to be able to pick up a car there. So far, I can't find anything. I'd appreciate some help there. If none is available, we could take the train to Kilarney, or elsewhere.
Next quandry, we leave Dingle on the 20th, leave Ireland on the 23rd, and still want to fit in golf at Ballybunion and climbing Croagh Patrick before departing Shannon on the 23rd.
Are we too pressed for time on these last few days? We could leave our cottage a day early if needed.

Forgive this disjointed post, I would really appreciate any help, especially for a train location near Dingle with a car rental.
Jan 18th, 2009, 04:16 PM

The train to Tralee goes to Killarney, first. While there MIGHT be some car hire options THERE, your best bet would probably be to take a taxi from the Killarney Station to the Kerry Airport and get a car from THERE.

http://www.kerryairport.com/car_hire.html

Bob
Jan 18th, 2009, 04:19 PM

Tralee is surrounded by tourism destinations, but is not itself a major tourist centre. So I would not be surprised if you found it difficult to hire a car there. I think you might as well take the train to Killarney. The extra distance involved is not great, and is on a relatively good road -- better than the Tralee-Dingle stretch..

You could do your golf as a day outing from Couminole.
Jan 18th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the advice!

I'll look into Killarney for the train.
Jan 18th, 2009, 06:57 PM

Hertz has an office in Killarney; at least they did in '03 when we were there. Not that I would recommend them, but they are there.
Feb 5th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

This may be a stupid question, but, I'll risk it. If we take a train from Dublin, do you check your bags, are golf clubs difficult to check?
Feb 5th, 2009, 09:52 PM

You can arranage to pick up a car in Killarney (or Dublin) and return it at Shannon Airport. I have used Budget in Killarney several times and found them to be reliable. I always book in advance of my trip online at the US Budget site.

Have you checked the train route from Dublin? The trains in Ireland are not always the most convenient route from point a to b. You may be able to drive just as quickly from Dublin to Tralee or Killarney.
Feb 6th, 2009, 05:37 AM

Here's a website with rail station information in Ireland. http://tinyurl.com/bgmlew (for Tralee) and http://tinyurl.com/agyyrt (for Killarney). They list a number of services (but not rental car service) but you could call the station phone number there and ask about what is available nearby. Ireland I believe has a number of "local" rental companies that may be a good value such as Dan Doolin.

Feb 6th, 2009, 02:31 PM

You can get a car in Kilarney. Renting in Ireland, though, has pitfalls...weird rules, extra charges. You should talk to someone who knows about it. I use Andy at gemut.com...800-521-6722
Feb 12th, 2009, 08:36 AM

Enterprise Car Rentals are across the road from the train station in Tralee