Emilia Romagna Agriturismo stay

Feb 10th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Emilia Romagna Agriturismo stay

Dear Fodor Travelers,

My wife and I and our 9 year old son will be travelling to Italy and specifically Emilia Romagna to see Bologna, Parma, Ravenna, Modena and other towns.

We would like to stay in an agriturismo since we have heard wonderful things about them. Does anyone have any recommendations for agriturismos in Emilia Romagna? Thanks in advance.

Nancy and Neal
Feb 10th, 2009, 01:23 PM

If you will have a car, there is apparently a lovely Agriturismo outside Parma..I have it marked for a future trip:

http://www.agriturismoleoni.com/
Feb 10th, 2009, 01:24 PM

sorry..the farm is there, whether or not you will have car..should have read before I posted..anyway,it looks wonderful and I hope to visit one day soon.
Feb 10th, 2009, 02:12 PM

Sorry I cannot give you a personal recommendation for an agriturismo in that area -- and I think it's a great idea and hope to be doing the same in the future -- but I would like to pass along some tips:

Please consider visiting Torrechiara, just a stone's throw outside Parma, with your 9-year old.

http://www.parmaitaly.com/castellik.html

The joy of agriturismos is often the sumptuous, multi-course family meals they serve in the evening, but be careful that your 9-year-old will have something to do or enjoy them. They often start after 8pm and go on for hours, with longish waits between courses.

If you are going in summer, this is a notoriously muggy part of Italy. You might want a swimming pool, and even I would probably want AC (I usually hate it.) Be sure you have screens on the windows.

The Anatomic theater in Bologna may be of intense interest to a 9-year-old, and in Ravenna, it is worth going into the church of San Francesco and taking a peek under the altar. It will cost you a euro to turn on the lights for the surprise.

Also, if you want a day at the beach, I've often wanted to go to Cesanatico, which has many attractions for young people, but Leonardo Da Vinci designed the port.

Feb 10th, 2009, 08:48 PM

It depends also on the season you will come in Emilia-Romagna.
My suggestions are four; the following:
1. very close to Bologna AGRITURISMO CAVAIONE www.agriturismocavaione.it
smart place to visit Bologna and the whole region.
2. close enough to Ferrara and not far from Ravenna, in a very sweet location AGRITURISMO CAMPELLO, in Codigoro www.agriturismocampello.it
Delicious dinners here as they are very clever to cook; and a very good location to visit Romagna.
3. Very close to the famous spa town Salsomaggiore Terme, in the hamlet Cangelasio, the AGRITURISMO ANTICA TORRE www.anticatorre.it
Maybe the best choice if you care alot to have very good dinners.
Good location to visit Emilia.
4. in Faenza, the town of ceramic, I suggest the AGRITURISMO LA CURBASTRA www.agriturismolacurbastra.it
with swimming-pool.

Have a lovely trip, ciao.

Vincenzo
Feb 11th, 2009, 04:33 AM

bookmarking
Feb 11th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the suggestions. This gives us a great selection to choose from.

And Zeppole, thanks for the recommendation on what to do with our son and also the lateness of the dinners. We usually eat earlier so we will have to feed him before dinner
Feb 12th, 2009, 09:13 AM

hi nancy,

in 2001 we stayed at http://www.castelloluzzano.it/eng/homeing.htm

it borders liguria and e-r.

i highly recommend it. Our apartment was perfect. it had all that we needed. the area is stunning with vineyards all around. very low key. nothing fancy. a place where you can really unwind and relax. if you love good wine, food and scenery you will love it.

I know little about wine and am no expert. I did love their wines.
i wish more was in the USA. Their Barbera was the best i have had.

we had a rental car. we have driven in italy several times and had no problem. we did day trips to several little towns in the area.

the hostess' and host were so nice to us. offering any info and suggestions. Giovinalla walked us up and down the vines telling us what grape varieties they were and about her family and the land.
it was heaven i tell ya....