Car Rental Insurance

Jul 5th, 2002, 03:34 AM
GJ

Car Rental Insurance

We're heading the England this fall for two weeks in the countryside. I've got a car rental reservation but my US car insurance doesn't cover me in the UK. Does anyone know of any travel insurance plans that cover driving? The daily option available through the car rental company just seems overpriced. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jul 5th, 2002, 03:48 AM
Keith

You should be covered at least by third party insurance automatically in the UK (ie you're covered for damage to someone else but not the car you're driving.) Personally, I would take the option offered by the car rental company. It's a criminal offence to drive without proper insurance; and it'a unlikely that the car rental company will let you drive the car if the insurance doesn't meet their requirements (not what you want to discover when you arrive on holiday!)

Jul 5th, 2002, 04:02 AM
Tony Hughes

Strongly agree with Keith. It's probably more than you were bargaining for GJ, but it cuts out a great deal of hassle if you take the insurance the rental company offer you.

Jul 5th, 2002, 04:19 AM
Jim Rosenberg

I third that. Yes, it's a bad deal in terms of coverage vs. cost, but it greatly reduces the likelihood of hassles from the rental company itself when you return the vehicle -- and that's in addition to any perils you may encounter on the road. I just chalk it off as part of the expense of renting a car abroad. Domestically, I invariably turn down the insurance and opt for my own policy's coverage and the backup of the credit card company's policy on CDW.

Jul 5th, 2002, 05:05 AM
Dick Yeager

GJ,

If you use your Visa or Mastercard to pay for the rental, they automatically provide the insurance you need. Check with your card company.

There have also been hundreds of posts on this board about the same subject. Do a search.

Dick

Jul 5th, 2002, 05:53 AM
Lisa

Check with your specific credit card company. Each card has different specifications (and if you have 2 VISA cards, check with each of them as well). Some cards will not cover some countries, and they all have a different list. Some cards have other quirks, like the deposit and the rental must be paid with their card, and you can't change from one card to theirs at the time of rental.

This is such a frequently asked question that it is also on some of the websites of your card-issuer, or is one of the options to press when you call the 800#!

Calling the credit card company is a good way to educate yourself.

Lisa

Jul 5th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Martin

I have taken out insurance several different ways but feel the most comfortable with AutoEurope's 'inclusive' plan which covers most insurance needs. You can't beat the cost, and you are still getting a car from a reliable rental company(Avis, EuropeCar, etc). If you wait to get it on arrival the price will be much higher. I also have a credit card which 'supposedly' will cover some insurance, but they require proof of fault, etc before reimbursing you. Take a look at AutoEurope's cost & you may decide to cancel your current reservation.

Jul 6th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Carla

We were in England in May and I misjudged how far left I was and scraped a parked car. Fortunately, I had bought the insurance offered by the rental company. Yes, it was expensive, but there was no hassle at all about the damage (fortunately minor) to both cars. I was glad to let British insurance companies handle everything and not have to deal with working through my credit card company. It was well worth the extra cost.
And the man who's car I scratched was very nice about it. Probably got a lot of kicks out of telling people how he got his car repainted because of an idiot american woman who shouldn't have been allowed to drive in Britain!

Jul 6th, 2002, 06:14 PM
JN

Best deal for car insurance I found is to use your credit card but also to purchase travel insurance from Travel Guard(travelguard.com). They cover travel emergencies and rental car CDW.