car rental in Nice

Search

car rental in Nice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2005, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car rental in Nice

I was wondeering if anyone has any advice on renting a car in Nice and driving through Provence. I will be arriving in July and I am concered re: traffic and confusion. Also on the retrun end do I need a car in Nice? or would you suggest drop off at airport and spend the day and night touring Nice on foot. I will be travelling with my 6 year old daughter so I am a little worried about getting lost.

thanks for the help.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Please forgive my spelling. I was attempting to type around my cat and daughter. Believe it or not I was an English major. eek
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 05:39 AM

Traffic will be heavy in July, but I think you need a car. We've found roads easy and well marked. Use the Autoroute's for quicker, less congested distances when you can, but you won't beat a car for driving around Provence exploring little villages. Make sure you are armed with lots of coins to put into the machines at parking lots -- the machines are easy to figure out, but take coins only and then print you a sticker to put on your dash that allows you to park for whatever time you have paid for.

Best place for pick up is at the airport as you avoid any city driving. And I'd turn in the car on return. You don't need or want one in Nice, in my opinion.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 05:41 AM
jay

Having a car to tour the area is a nice luxury. You dont need a rental in Nice and can do the city no foot and public transit.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 06:08 AM

By far the easiest pick up in Nice is at the airport. But we have also picked up at the train station and it wasn't that bad.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 06:23 AM

Just returned from Nice on Wed. Rented a car in advance with Sixt. I drive a stick shift car, but was quite pleased to see we had an automatic. This is one of the places that is all sharp curves and stopping on hillsides and mountains. Drove the area before with a shift, but would definatley say spring for the automatic. The small mercedes is a great car and automatic.

Can't remember the series # but if you want I will look it up for you. Saved a lot by booking in advance with Sixt.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 06:42 AM

Are these parking lot machines something new? My experience has been that you keep the ticket and use the machine to pay when you return to leave.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 07:32 AM

We find the easiest pick-up spot for a rental in Nice is the Europecar office next to the Hôtel Le Meridien, just off the Promenade des Anglais. You can reserve through AutoEurope or directly with Europecar.

I agree that you don't need a car while in Nice, as most attractions beyond Vieux Nice are easily reachable by bus.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 03:30 PM

I wouldn't say the easiest place to pick up a car is the airport...I agree w/Underhill. The car rental agents at the Hôtel Le Meridien, just off the Promenade des Anglais are super convenient and the roads are EASY to navigate in and out of the city - Just follow the Promenade down or up and it easy to get to any autoroute. We usually use Avis when in France(always is cheapest for us)...and their office is next door to AutoEurope under the Meridian and the Mercure/behind the McDonalds.

But you don't need a car for Nice itself...
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 03:43 PM

We picked up in Provence at Avignon and dropped it off in Nice - city location.

Travel Nice by foot and pick up car on the way out.

Driving through Provence was delightful. The only thing to get used to are those traffic circles...it still takes me a time or two to feel comfortable merging in and then off on my route.

The good news is that it is virtually impossible to miss a town...several roundabouts in a row will have signs pointing to town you want to go to.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 04:44 PM

We've rented with autoeurope and Avis and have had very good experiences. Whatever you do--DON'T rent with Hertz. We did in Nice once and it was a nightmare.

Have a great trip.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 05:30 PM

"Author: RonZ ([email protected])
Date: 03/14/2005, 10:42 am
Message: Are these parking lot machines something new? My experience has been that you keep the ticket and use the machine to pay when you return to leave."

Well, different towns have different systems, but I've seen the pay as you leave places a lot more in the US than in France, where I'm much more likely to see the pay and display a ticket method.
One funny story, though, in Ajaccio, Corsica, we kept our car at a lot where you get a ticket when you enter, but pay when you leave. We parked all day and night, but when we left for the day early in the morning, the gate was up and there was no one to take the money. The same thing happened the next day. So it became a lot of free parking!
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 05:18 PM

Is the car rental location for Sixt a good one for getting out of Nice? For Auto Europe is it the Gustav or Theirs St. locations you're recommending? Thanks!