car rental in italy?

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 01:56 PM
beth

car rental in italy?

Should we book this now, in the States; or are the guidebooks just paranoid?

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Rex

I don't know what the guidebooks are telling you to make you paranoid, but if the question is about getting better rates here - - well then I actually DO recommend that you book a rental here, before you go. start by looking at www.autoeurope.com - - and they set a standard you should insist on: no cancellation penalty whatsoever - - in case you find a better deal, unadvertised at the counter of any other car rental company.

But that doesn't address the question of whether you should rent a car at all or not. It depends on what your itinerary includes, and how many cities where cars are unwelcome, expensive/difficult to park and/or unnecessary.

Italians do drive fast on the autostrade, and they think little about whizzing past you on a tiny streetwhere there seems to be one inch clearance between your vehice and theirs - - and the walls of the buildings are just about as close to your outside fenders. Yes, the insurance is mandatory, and you will probably get warned to take certain precautions south of Rome to prevent vehicle theft.

But a car allows you to find the real Italy on your own real timetable.

Yes, Rome, Florence and Milan contain pieces of the real Italy too. But they are (each) just one (or a few) snapshot(s) of some of the sides of Italy.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Wayne

I think Rex said it all, except that if you don't already know, it will be more expensive to rent a car in Italy than in any other western European country. Yes, you should shop; and yes, autoeurope is usually your best bet. But take an autoeurope offer to one of the big U.S. rental companies and see if they will match it. Autoeurope is a broker for rental companies, and in theory the companies themselves could make the same deal (but be warned, normally they won't). Perhaps the price of rentals is what you meant about the paranoia of the guidebooks.

Regardless of any other consideration, once you have made a firm decision to rent a car, go ahead and find the best deal and make your reservation while still in the U.S. It won't get any better in Italy.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 05:16 PM
to the top

topping

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Alec

Typically you save around a half by booking in advance than renting once you are in Italy. A recent example for a compact car for one week: prebooking $230, walk-in $465.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 05:22 PM
Mary

I posted a message earlier about our great experience with Nova Rentacar four our trip in Italy. Their price beat all other offers by a bundle.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Bill

Was that rented ahead over the internet? or arranged once you got there?

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Carol

We used AutoEurope here in the states and they booked our car through Avis - $500 for 10 days, midsize car. I just happened to ask the customer service person if there were any deals going on and he said "Yes, a free upgrade just came over this terminal" so be sure to ask.