Reload this Page >

car rental in athens

Search

car rental in athens

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 10:11 PM
James Rosenberg

car rental in athens

I will be arriving late at night in Athens and I'm looking for a good car rental company. Who would you recommend?

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Sue

I'd think two or three times before renting a car in Athens, but I imagine you have reasons for doing it. I would rent thru Auto Europe here in US www.autoeurope.com It might be a problem picking a car up late at night, but one would think there's be a way to do it.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 06:17 AM
aNN

Make sure you keep all correspondence to/from Autoeurope, I traveled with my friend & her family last month. Her father picked up a car from them in Athens and they tried to charge him some kind of "pick-up" fee that was never mentioned on any of the correspondence. Apparently it was not too pleasant, but they DID NOT end up paying that extra fee.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Yiannis

James,<BR><BR>All the major US companies are represented in Greece, and most of them have offices at the airport. Airport pick-up has extra fee which usually is considerable amount, so have in mind. The other thing I have noticed throughout the years is that my friends who visit from the US usually get better rates when reserving from the US, the opposite from what happens with hotels.<BR>

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Tricia

WE used Swift (the car rental suggested by Matt Barrett's website) we found them very helpful and accomadating as well as having the best prices.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Walter

aNN: Perhaps it was the Athens' city tax? <BR>I knew beforehand although I don't remember how (website, reserving by phone, paperwork) that AE doesn't cover this local tax (~10e?). Or in a case like Italy a "Road Use" tax (~2.5e/day). Regards, Walter <BR>