car rental gas question

Search

car rental gas question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car rental gas question

I am filling out an internet form for a car rental out of Toulouse France. I assume I want diesel gas-right? But what does this mean- "Diesel guaranteed (only available on EDMR, CDMR, EVMR, IVMR and SDMR)" ? Are those types of cars?
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 11:13 AM

They are categories of cars: for example, economy, 4-door, manual transmission....not specific cars. Yes, you want diesel.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 11:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Diesel is better -- cheaper and that stations and better mileage. 75% of the cars in France and Belgium are diesel.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 11:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Diesel is better -- cheaper at the stations and better mileage. 75% of the cars in France and Belgium are diesel.

(not sure what happened above)
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I have been reading all the car rental info and I have to say I am so flummoxed. Full coverage doesn't seem to be "full"! One says there is potentially 800 euros deductible-others don't say anything so now I trust nothing. So we need extra coverage for glass, for theft, if we want personal coverage...adds up so fast! Does anyone know if there is a company that is clear and spells out all the costs ahead? I don't want to sit there in the train station pondering some contract in French! oh my.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 11:58 AM

Many of the very expensive insurance plans offered by rental companies are only secondary plans and most have very high deductibles.

The best overall insurance plan I have seen is that which is offered by American Express. For approximately $25 you receive full primary coverage on a rental of up to 42 days.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...do?source=CCSG

Alternatively, you might want to check into Insurance 4 Car Hire:

http://www.insurance4carhire.com/ind...D=1301&curID=3
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 12:03 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
As I learned the hard way, whatever you decide, it is always best to put in the correct type of petrol into your rental car.

http://www.travelswithmaitaitom.com/...th_Spello.html

Old Apr 18th, 2011, 12:20 PM

When I saw this title of this thread, maitaitom, your name popped right up! LOL

Italyagain, after you get your rental fixed, do read tom's report! If you don't become a fan, then you must stay home.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 01:05 PM

If you rent for less than 31 days, call your credit card company to see if your credit card will carry the CDW with no deduction. You then decline the CDW when you sign the rental agreement with the agency in Toulouse. The card might even include theft protection.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

I think I will sign up for a capital one credit card or an amex card. Seems worth it. I am really appreciating all this advice!!!
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Sarastro-Have you used the insurance4carhire? Anyone else? It sounds decent. That with a credit card seems like a good combo.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 04:03 PM

I think that just using your credit card and declining all the other offers is the best. I have done this in France at least 3 times over the past decade (Visa). Be sure to call and double check before you go - 1) to let your credit card compnay know you will be abroad and using the card and 2) to verify the coverage and what you need to do. Usually once you use the credit card, you have to decline all other types of insurance (they are primary and really all you need - and mine included theft as well - either that or in France it is mandatroy in the rental price - I forget which. Point is you don't need to pay again for that). Do a search of this subject here on Fodor's.

Do be aware that as Michael said, some cards have different lenghts of time that they will cover you - 15 days for some, 31 days for others (most).
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 07:44 PM

Maitai - Your diesel story happened to me, but in reverse. In 1969 I was stationed in Louisiana and owned my pride and joy, a beautiful Mark II Jag. Red leather, polished wooden dash, fold down picnic table built into the seats - the works. I was driving to a meeting in New Orleans and was both running low on gas and late on time. Pulling into a station, I told the gas jockey to fill 'er up and went to the pay phone to call that I would be a bit late. Returning to the car, the guy was just hanging up the diesel hose. "You didn't fill that with diesel" I croaked. "Sure did" he said proudly "all these furrin cars take diesel."