Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Reliable/affordable car rental companies in France

Old Aug 31st, 2019, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bonjour. I am beginning my research, but thought I'd inquire of the collective "you." Can you recommend a car rental company for a one way rental in the south of France? I've heard some horror stories, and don't want to experience my own. Which companies have you had good/bad experiences with?

Thanks!
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 02:29 PM

Don't know about one-way rental, but I had a hassle-free experience with Enterprise at Toulouse Airport.
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 02:31 PM

We rent 2-3 cars almost every year from Kemwel/Autoeurope. They are the same company and are brokers who will set you up with cars from Europcar, Hertz, Avis, etc. We almost always end up with a Europcar - and they do not charge a one-way fee - as yet.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 02:39 PM

My Enterprise rental was booked through Auto Europe.
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 02:40 PM

We have been using Kemwel for years before they merged with Autoeurope, and have used them twice this year after they merged. We have never had any problems. We rent from Marseilles Airport. We typically end up with Europcar or Hertz.
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 03:02 PM
kja

I always work with gemut.com, which works with AutoEurope, a broker for several reputable companies (e.g., Europcar).
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 04:56 PM

If you can drive a standard shift and are willing to have your Visa card carry the CDW, the rental will be much less expensive, whether or not you use Autoeeurope/Kemwel. For these brokers, you would have to choose what they call the "basic" rate.
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 07:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
My preference goes to Europcar, but AutoEurope will give you the rates of all of the major rental companies.
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 01:21 AM

I used AutoEurope for 30+ years. Was always supremely happy with their service, even when something went wrong (and over 30+ years, a few things did). Their 24/7 English Customer Service line is, I'm guessing, a godsend for a lot of people.
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 06:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I agree that AutoEurope is an extremely powerful mediator when there is any sort of conflict. The rental companies absolutely need it for a very significant share of their business.
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kja View Post
I always work with gemut.com, which works with AutoEurope, a broker for several reputable companies (e.g., Europcar).
Likewise.
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 07:07 AM

Using Autoeurope gives you access to more than good rates. With their free phone lines, they can resolve all sorts of problems at pickup, during the rental, and at drop off. It will be difficult to find better service, in English, than that offered by Autoeurope (Kemwell).

If your one-way rental will have both pickup and drop off in France, typically Sixt or Europcar will charge nothing extra. Hertz or Avis will add a fee if the drop off is not the same agency as the pickup.
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 08:15 AM

>> offered by Autoeurope (Kemwell).<<

In case you Google - only 1 "l" in Kemwel.

https://www.kemwel.com/

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 10:54 AM

I agree with everyone who is recommending AutoEurope/Kemwel and would like to add my recommendation to call them when booking a car. Their agents are very knowledgeable and helpful and will help you determine the type of vehicle most appropiate for your needs, then find whether AE or Kemwel offers the better rate. In the US, the toll-free number is 888-223-5555.

Once again, AE/K came through for me when Europcar erroneously charged us for an extra day back in April. I called AE the day after receiving the electronic invoice from Europcar and the next day received an email from them passing along Europcar's "most sincere apologies" for their billing error.
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 02:36 PM

My experience FWIW:
  • Used Enterprise at the Avignon TGV station without any issues.
  • Used Hertz at the Lyon Perrache station without any issues...though trying to find the return garage was a nightmare due to the construction around the station.
In both instances, everyone was nice and there was no attempt to look for pseudo damage at return or hard-sell to add services at the start.

NOTE: Neither was a one-way rental.

NOTE: Both were booked online well in advance (without pre-payment) and cancelled/rebooked as significant decreases when prices dropped as trip time approached.

ssander
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 05:35 PM

Like ssander we also booked with Enterprise last year. The first was a one way rental, pick up at Avignon TGV for drop off at Brive la Gaillarde, the second was at le Creusot.

Both bookings were made several months before our June-July vacation and we were more than satisfied with Enterprise. No issues at all about insurance up-sell, nor any claims for damages when we returned the vehicles.

Old Sep 6th, 2019, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice. We booked Europcar (no one way drop fee...thanks Stud Dudley!) through AutoEurope, and found their phone service very helpful. Also, I'm using the CDW through my credit card. Thanks for that reminder Michael.

I do want to say that Andy at Gemut.com was extremely kind and helpful and I would not hesitate to use him in the future.
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 04:37 PM
kja

Originally Posted by iregeo2 View Post
I do want to say that Andy at Gemut.com was extremely kind and helpful and I would not hesitate to use him in the future.
Isn't he great?!? And so, IME, are the other people at gemut. I've gotten wonderful service from them over the years. And their web-site has some very, very helpful information.