Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Car Rental from Europcar? Look for other options.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rented a car in Italy in late September. The agent “found” damage to the car that had not been reported by us when picking up the car. There were three small scratches to the bumper. Could have been there when we picked it up but I wouldn’t think of bumper scratches as damage so wouldn’t have reported it anyway…not then. The agent told me we would be notified by email if we were to be charged for damage.
When we received our charge statement in November there was a charge for over 500 Euros on the statement. We found they charged an extra day for turning the car in late, (we did not), and most of it for “damage!” We did get the extra day removed.
Never got the email about damage. Many folks don’t check their charge statements and just pay them. Check them closely if you deal with Europcar. All the insurance I paid for and they sting me within the deductible.
Document your car with photos and video before you leave their lot, although I've seen other posts on Fodor’s where they did just that and still got tagged for 900 Euros, with no way out! Frankly I would exhaust all other options before using Europcar.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 10:59 AM

Didn't you have any insurance coverage, through your credit card or buying the CDW?

We'd had a couple of encounters with Europcar agents (as well as AVIS) over the years, which is why I only rent cars using the Amex insurance coverage. But overall, my experience with Europcar has been on the more positive side.
Old Feb 1st, 2014, 05:56 PM

I prefer to go through AutoEurope.com, a New England consolidator. Or, directly through Hertz using a big corporate discount.

Major U.S. rental companies are not always run by their parent company, as some are actually franchises. And not all rental car operations are created equal.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

I did go through Autoeruope. I bought coverage and had coverage through VISA. However, I never received the email from Europcar they said I would IF they were going to charge damage to my account. The first I knew about it was on our charge statement 6 weeks or more later. By the time I could get them to clarify which charges in that amount were for damage and which were for a couple of other items, I was apparently, barely, outside the time frame VISA would consider it. I'm going around with them as well since I have been a 20+ year card holder with them.
It's the principle of the thing with Europcar. I think they are shady in their dealings. Maybe it's particular offices or agents but I suspect the corporation in general knows exactly what it's doing.
Thanks for the replies.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 07:56 AM

I wouldn’t think of bumper scratches as damage so wouldn’t have reported it anyway…

Ummmm, I sure would point it out--and it isn't Europcar that is the problem. ANY damage on a car we rent is pointed out--anywhere in the world.
We have used them through AutoEurope with no problem.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 08:00 AM

I assume you let AE be your advocate---they have saved me before, and you are their customer.
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 01:34 PM

We rented a Ford Focus for a late April trip from Milan through central/southern Italy. Our original rental was through Auto Europe, but the rental company was Europcar. We had reserved in February and the voucher clearly stated that there might be a winter tire surcharge not reflected in our rental price, stating that Italian law requires winter tires in some regions. In picking up the car from Malpensa April 12th, there were no Fords available and we were upgraded to a small Alfa that was perfectly acceptable. Following our return home we received our AMEX bill, reflecting an additional charge of $311.40, and on query we were informed that it was a winter tire surcharge, as Italian law requires such. In fact on investigation, Italian law does not require but only recommends such tires in certain provinces and then only from the period of November 15 through April 15. Our Alfa was not so equipped having standard high speed Pirelli tires rather than all-season or winter tires. We filed a complaint, and received the response that the Europcar Italy said that the car had been equipped with winter tires. We re-filed a response and were informed that we needed proof that the car had not had winter tires. Of course that is not feasible as we have a photo of the car, but the tire detail isn't shown. So it is Europcar Italy versus our actual experience and Auto Europe will not delete this erroneous rental charge for tires that were neither required by Italian Law nor included on our vehicle.
All of our prior many experiences with Auto Europe have been positive, but this is so outrageous that we will never be able to trust them again.
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 02:46 PM

as one poster noted above, i think it's the individual agent or office to be blamed. i would love for people to report here which agents and offices have been dishonest-- i would actually make a point of avoiding them.

we have had this sort of problem only twice in many many years--- and both times it was a nasty or dishonest agent... much tougher in your case when it all went down after you had turned the car in. which office was it?? let's share that information. (our worst event was at the airport in nice-- but it was 20 years ago!)