Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Car rental for dummies - I need the book!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought planning the trip was hard because of so many neat places to visit and so little time. But alas, the last piece - car rental- has really boggled my mind. First, there are so many websites and no two seem to be the same which eliminates fair comparison. So, we selected a compact car to fit luggage and two adults comfortably. Now there is the rental insurance and exclusions. AmEx says they'll cover us if we decline the Super CDW, but I still worry that it is not enough especially with the rental company excluding tires, roof, windshield etc. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 01:26 PM

We used Amex Premium Car Rental Protection on this last trip.
But I do know of a UK company that does cover the underside,etc.
www.insurance4carhire.com
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sher!
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 06:10 AM

Hi
Have you checked out Autoeurope. They're a wholsaler and work with many rental cos. we've used them for over 20 yrs. We just reurned from Israel and had used them again. this year it was Avis. They offer good rates. We take the CDW just to be on the safe side.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 06:31 AM

Actuall7y, you might want to look at Autoeurope's sister company Kemwel....they frequently offer the same car at the same location for less than Autoeurope.

As to rates, you really might want to see WHO either of these companies will use in your particular case...generally you can get an "all inclusive" rate which includes SOME insurance....but often leaves you with a healthy deductible..and that deductible can be in the THOUSANDS of Euro...but when you get to the counter you can ask about the additional insurance which can reduce your deductible to zero.

There are many insurance alternatives including one which a lot of people seem to swear by..the insurance which is offered by your credit card program...but i would caution you to enquire about that and find out whether or not the CC program will act as your primary (before your own auto insurance) or secondary (after your own auto insurance) coverage begins.

I hope you have a wonderful trip and that all the insurance you end up using is unnecessary.

I can tell you from personal experience it is a joy to be able to walk AWAY from a damaged car with absolutely no requirements, lingering claims, wondering who will pay for what, etc., but to each their own....
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 09:14 AM

We have rented cars three times in Portugal. The most reasonable rates have been through a consolidator.

www.carjet.com
www.economycarrentals.com

We rented this last year through Hertz as they has the largest mid sized automobile. We had four people.

But for two people, the first two have been really great.

But even though Ecomomy has no excess, I haven't been able to find a company that covers undercarriage and tires or lost keys.

Good Luck.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

This has been a good education. Our car insurer does not cover out of the country (not surprised). Talked with AmEx rep and she said they would act as secondary and since the Portugal companies have such high deductibles with their version of CDW, we could accept the CDW (decline Super CDW) and AmEx will cover the deductible. Other credit card coverage varies. Am Ex will even sell a premium coverage that includes theft of personal possessions. The consolidators really do have better car rental rates! What a difference...more money for pottery and port Checked out Kemwel(they have meet or beat policy) and can match portugal Car Rentals price and the rental agency is just a couple of blocks from hotel. Life is good! Thanks Fodorites.
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 02:32 AM

Hello! I haven't booked yet, but cheking prices from http://www.decodecarhire.co.uk/car-h...rport-fao.html . They show insurance prices for every car you choose in search results. Haven't heard about them before but I have found them having best prices for Faro till now. If I don't find anything cheaper I will try with them even if I have read some unpleasant comments about this company in several forums. In case you have any experience with this site I will appreciate if you share it.
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Their price for 1 week compact is about 176 euros but I never heard of the companies they work with; portugal car rentals was 166euros and it was through Budget. I chose the latter because I felt it would be easier to resolve issues should there be any with a nationally recognized company. Hope I never have to find out!
When are you traveling?
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 04:03 PM

Bring your camera, take "before" shots and keep all of your paper work!
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 09:23 AM
dng

We just returned from Portugal. Rented a Ford Mondeo, station wagon which was perfect for the 4 of us adults from http://www.portugal-auto-rentals.com/ and subsequently Budget. Cost 675E for 16 days and 261E for super CDW. Our car was run into while parked! But no hassles at all with the company ie Budget. This was a great rate. Also got 5.7 L/100km which is well over 40 mpg (diesel) is gasoleno.