Car rental - Auto Europe

Search

Car rental - Auto Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car rental - Auto Europe

I am planning to rent a car from Malaga to Lisbon and found reasonable prices on Auto Europe. Has anyone used these people before? Recommendations? Horror stories?
Thanks, all.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:02 AM

Many people (including me) have used Autoeurope with no problems. I've used them in France, Germany, and Italy.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:08 AM
rex

You will find here hundreds of reports on AutoEurope experiences, ranging from very good (over 90%) to fair/ppor (rare). One key is to understand what AutoEurope is, and is not. They have no cars to rent; they are brokers. They will get you a rental with Hertz, Avis, National/Europcar or other vendors at a better rate than you can get on your own, because they have huge contracts, and effectively act as "after-market" sales agents. So your experience can vary according to who actually rents you the car.

AutoEurope also acts as your advocate if you have any trouble with your rental. Their 24/7 phone service can be very, very helpful in smoothing out minor disputes, language barriers, etc.

I assume that when you say "reasonable prices", that you are content with the drop charge to return a Spanish car in Portugal? Or did you luck out and get a quote without one?

Might be worth a phone call to clarify this with them. Besides, most people report that over the phone, your AutoEurope will often quote you an additional 5% discount, compared to online booking, because they work for commissions, and he/she wants your booking on the spot, while talking to you on the phone.

Enjoy,

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:12 AM

Yes , they are brokers for several rental agencies,, and usually get the best price for various countries. Very reputable and good customer service, and have a 24 hr. "question/complaint service'. Headquartered in Portland, Maine (I THINK?)
If you can prepay in advance and have your voucher in hand it makes it easier at the rental counter. Auto Europe use to just take "partial" down and the rest on pickup....and that was usually a little confusing and questionable......I think now you can pay ahead.
One time in Switz. they were very pushy about buying more insurance, quoting thousands if something happened to the car etc...but that is not the norm, I don't believe.
All in all Auto Europe is probably about the top rental company~~~good prices, good service etc.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:20 AM
ira

Hi B,

We have always been happy with AE.

I also suggest trying www.gemut.com and www.kemwel.com, two smaller brokers asssociated with AE who often come up with even better deals.

On our last trip, Gemut saved us $100.

Also, look for rates on the other sites from AE, Spain, Portugal, UK, etc.
sometimes you can save money that way.

Also look at www.novacarhire.com. Somtimes they are cheaper than AE and AE will meet their price.

Have you considered saving the drop off fee by dropping your car at the border, crossing the border by train and then getting a car in Portugal, OR taking the train to Portugal and picking up a car there?

As Rex advises, call them. You will get a better rate than online only.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:23 AM

I have used them several times and find them very good to deal with. Kemwell is their sister company and I have often found their prices lower.

For Italy, I got a better rate when I called Auto Europe because on their website only Europcar was displaying but Avis had a promotional upgrade program that was a lower price. I paid for subcompact but got an upgrade to compact.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

I did not book the car yet, but did not see the "drop" charge. I'll keep an eye on that, and will probably book by phone now. Thanks. Also, just fyi, they quoted about $325usd for a basic charge (no insur) for 10 days, compact standard car, Malaga to Lisbon.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 07:53 AM

Kemwel is AE's sister company. Sometimes they will give you an even better price than AE and sometimes they will have cars in their "fleet" which AE doesn't offer and vice versa.

You can ask about that possibility when you call.

In my experience, sometimes they will include a drop charge and other times not..ask about that, too, as well as the possibility of a AAA discount (if you are a member).

My only "poor" experience with AE has been when one of their agents recently tried to convince me that Avis wouldn't guarantee an automatic transmission as AE does.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 08:28 AM

Always used them never had a problem - good prices - service fine - unlike the idiots at Thrifty.