Search

AutoEurope for Portugal car rental

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2003, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AutoEurope for Portugal car rental

hi all,

anyone had experience with renting from AutoEurope? we are considering renting a car from them for our 13 days in Portugal, as they seem the least expensive way. any siggestions re: other ways to book a rental car online for Portugal? Thanks! -julia
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 06:30 PM

They are good. We did a single rental in the Veneto in June. When you debark in the airport realize that your car may come from EuropCar or some other company, but your auto and paperwork will probably be in order.

Keep track of your final-day gas receipt as they may challenge it.

Portugal beats Naples for crazy driving. If you can imagine it, they do it. Take a deep breath and join them.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 04:18 AM

We used AutoEurope this spring for a 12 day rental in Portugal. They were the cheapest from the beginning. They also honored discounts that became available after booking. The rental was actually through EuropCar. The only minor problem I had was getting someone to answer the telephone numbers provided in our paperwork when we were trying to make a change to the return date. The correctly credited our balance when we retured the car one day early. Just a note to what Poppa said--we were in the country a few days prior to getting the car. After seeing how they drove, we purchased every insurance available!
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 05:58 PM

Does anyone have a website from which to rent a car in Portugal from AutoEurope or Europcar or any other rental company?
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 06:08 PM

Do a text search for AutoEurope on this website and you'll have all your questions answered.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 06:55 PM

http://www.autoeurope.com/index.cfm
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 09:25 AM

Hi Julia, I just rented a car for September with Auto Europe/Europcar. They originally quoted me the highest price beween Hertz, Avis and Budget. For 14 days, Budget quoted me 642.33 euro. Auto Europe was 1070.57 euros. I called Auto Europe back and they matched Budget with Europcar and quoted me a lower rate of 632.33 euros. I gave them my quote number from Budget. Only deal is you have to pay when you book, but it's fully refundable. My quote was for a Intermediate Car, 4 door, Manual AC, Renault Laguna or similar. Their toll free number is 888-223-5555. Good luck.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 05:24 PM

We rented with Budget and did almost all of our business over email. Someone from their office did call us to confirms almost immediately after I initally booked. We paid about $40 per day. The Citroen (sp) was large enough for 2 adults and 2 children. I have an SUV and the Citroen had as much room in the front seat as the SUV
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 05:48 PM

Elaine

Did you find the Citroen had enough room for luggage for the 4 of you? How many bags did you have?
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 10:56 AM

We only used the Citroen for our travel around Lisbon. We had way too much luggage. We used taxis for the airport transit. The Citroen would hold one medium suitcase and 2 carry-ons. If you go to the Budget website there is a section where you can see exactly how much the cars hold. Taxis are relatively cheap in Lisbon. You can take taxis (you may need 2, or you may get lucky and get a station wagon), deposit your luggage at the hotel, and then use your car just around town. This is what we did. Of course we stayed in Lisbon the entire time...
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 11:59 AM

Last year we rented a car for a very reasonable amount. The service was excellent. We had even gotten suggestions about hotels and where to go and where to stay. I recommend them highly!

A. A. Castanheira-Budget Rent a Car