Car rental and itinerary recommendation?

Jan 23rd, 2019, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Car rental and itinerary recommendation?

Hello travelers! I'm planning a trip to Iceland with my fiance and we are not sure about what type of vehicle would be most convenient for it (4wd -vs- 2wd), we assume that a 4x4 vehicle would be safer but we're just going to drive on the Ring Road and maybe we would spend a few days in the South if we have enough time. Taking into account this, Which type of vehicle and rental company do you recommend us? Any suggestions for our travel plan? We will spend 15 days in this beautiful country Oh! It is very important for us to get a full protection coverage with 0 franchise and a new brand car (2018-2019) Thanks a bunch for your help!
Jan 23rd, 2019, 11:13 PM

We will be in Iceland for 4 days, 5 nights in May. We rented a Toyota Corolla from BlueCar Rental with complete insurance including sand and gravel. I researched pretty thoroughly and found only good reviews for Blue Car. We will not be doing any interior Iceland driving so advice we received was a 2WD would be adequate.
good luck, car rentals are always treacherous waters!
Jan 29th, 2019, 12:43 AM

Hi Geekybag ,

Well, that really depends on the time of the year. I've been in Iceland a couple of times and driving the ring road is not the same in every season. If you will be traveling in winter or Fall, then a 4x4 is the way to go.

I usually rent with Cars Iceland, but there are several local companies that are also nice and local. Reykjavik Cars, Holdur, Cars Reykjavik...etc. I usually go with Cars Iceland cause they have most insurance included and they offer the 0€ excess you mentioned. No, you can select the one that suit you best.

As itinerary, I usually recommen my friends this one:

Iceland Road Trip - 10 Days Around Iceland Itinerary

I did it two years ago and I think we manage to see most of the cool places, we relaxed and enjoyed each stop as it is so packed up. In Höfn you can eat the best lobster ever!
Feb 4th, 2019, 07:11 PM

Hi Geekybag,

For summer and for the Ring Road 2WD is good enough. You don't need a big car (gas is pricey in Iceland). I had a 7-day round trip in July 2018. It was great but very intensive. I would love to have the same route within two weeks instead of one.
We rented Skoda Fabia for three people and in terms of space it was fine.

One important warning: don't rent with the cheapest companies. I rented from Green Motion, and it looks like they never maintain their vehicles. At some point we got the Check Engine and message about low oil. I had to buy and add oil on the road. The old oil was completely black.
Few days later we had an issue with a transmission sensor and had to spend half of the day in Akureyri while the car was serviced by a mechanic (it was free for us). I don't regret about this delay because we got a chance to see the city, and then on the updated route we saw a bunch of beautiful things which we would not see if the car would run well (but probably we would see other things though).
In other words, even with the car problems we got a nice trip chock-full with wonders, however, don't try to save a hundred of bucks/euros at the price of peace of mind.
Feb 24th, 2019, 07:06 AM

Like Minnietheminx said, it depends on the time of year you go on what type of vehicle you need. If summer time, then you should be fine with a regular car. We went in mid May and rented from Blue car rental and rented a regular small car. We got the full insurance and it isn't cheap! You will drive on regular roads that are just gravel sometimes. So you need all coverage. Before you leave the lot, check the car over and note any dings. Take pictures of the them. When you return the car, they will notice everything. I had the original documents saying where all the dings were.

You won't need a car while in Reykjavik. We took the bus from the airport to the city hotel. We did city stuff and walked around and also did a tour that took us to the glaciers for snowmobiling. Then we rented the car in the city. We walked to Blue down near the wharf. Then we returned the car at the end of the trip at the airport stopping at the Blue Lagoon along the way. Just a thought..
Mar 2nd, 2019, 02:11 PM

If you go in the summer and plan to drive on the Ring Road and not the interior, then a 2 WD is good enough. Remember that gas is very expensive like everything else in Iceland. We rented our car from Budget and did not buy additional insurance since we are only driving on paved road. Make sure you examine your car for any scratches and note them down. Take photographs of the car.
We spend 8 days driving around the Ring and westfjord in the summer. Even though it was a bit rushed it was worth it. The South coast, golden circle and snaefellsnes peninsula are beautiful areas to visit
more details on itinerary and photos https://bigsmallmoment.wordpress.com/
Mar 20th, 2019, 12:21 PM

I used Blu Car Rental in July 2011. I drove the RIng Road and we had a 4wd but it was not necessary.

Be prepared for EXORBITANT prices in restaurants. I was there again in August 2018 and prices were extremely high. You might try googling some hotels in VIK and then check the restaurant prices in the hotels. Most dinners for one person were around $50 for an entree, $25 for a bowl of soup. The restaurant food was expensive but fabulous.
A burger, fries and Coke for lunch at a gas station restaurant was about $22.
Mar 21st, 2019, 07:38 AM

I agree with Linda on food prices, also drink prices are high. The wine wasn't very good either. I hate to pay 20 USD for a glass of wine and its lousy. I stuck with the mixed drinks but they are pricey too. I guess most things are imported so what can you do. Try the Icelandic yogurt, it was delicious and I get it at Wegmans here in the states.
Mar 21st, 2019, 07:40 AM

Also no tipping in restaurants. Being from the states, this was tough for me, but honestly NO ONE tips at all. It is not done there. We found it easy to just sign the check and go. Also everyone uses credit cards for EVERYTHING. So don't get a lot of Icelandic money. I would say we used 50 dollars in cash over the course of a week.
Mar 21st, 2019, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by girlonthego View Post
I agree with Linda on food prices, also drink prices are high. The wine wasn't very good either. I hate to pay 20 USD for a glass of wine and its lousy. I stuck with the mixed drinks but they are pricey too. I guess most things are imported so what can you do. Try the Icelandic yogurt, it was delicious and I get it at Wegmans here in the states.
The good thing is that in the Reykjavik airport there is a duty free at the arrival (!). You can buy all you need during your trip before you exit to the land. Just check online the allowable quantity (you can google, there is an official website about it), however the acceptable amount is quite generous. The prices in duty free are comparable with the Canadian regular liquor stores. In the city - 2-3 times higher. In the slideshow about my trip in Iceland at the time point 17:40 you can see a slide from the city store with prices in Icelandic krona:

Last edited by bassarisk; Mar 21st, 2019 at 08:04 AM.
Mar 21st, 2019, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by girlonthego View Post
Also everyone uses credit cards for EVERYTHING. So don't get a lot of Icelandic money. I would say we used 50 dollars in cash over the course of a week.
In our 7-day trip for three persons we have not changed a single dollar, paid by the c/c only for everything.