Car Rental in Iceland

Old Feb 4th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Rental in Iceland

Going to Iceland in July. I need to rent a car for just two days. Would like to pick up donwtown and return at the international airport. Car rentals are high in Iceland. Anyone suggest where to rent from?
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 06:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Pam,

I went to google and found this website:

http://iceland.carrentals.is/>>

there are several others
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 09:24 AM

We used Rental Car Group in Iceland (Cartrawler) and had no problems. Price was good, and we were able to do the opposite of you - hire at the airport and return in town - without issue. Don't search the major US carriers, better deals can be found by searching via Icelandic companies.
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 09:20 AM

DON'T RENT A CARS FROM AVIS, BUDGET ICELAND...!! It's one company - ALP - they withdraw mileage in cars. You can rent scrap car with small mileage !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*crooks* ! be careful
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 09:37 AM

Pamo2, I am also planning a trip to Iceland soon. I've been in touch via email with route1 (mentioned above by Afarhan) and Sixt. They are both very responsive and co-operating. Sixt's prices are lower (check www.sixt.com).

Sixt has mixed reviews on TA but Route1 has amazing reviews on tripadvisor and my personal experience so far confirms that Route1 will work for me. They are slightly costlier than Sixt, fyi. As long as I have no headaches renting/returning the cars...a slightly higher price is ok for me.

TP
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 09:38 AM

Doh, just realized this thread is from 2012 !!
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 01:32 PM

yes, tiger, like many threads it was revived by someone advertising his/her business. one way of telling is that it's his only post.

I've pressed the yellow triangle.
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 10:31 AM

Hello!

I recommend a car company call Reykjavík Cars. They are locally based and they have assistance 24 hours a day both online and by telephone...

www.reykjavikcars.com

I had a really cheap car and an excellent service
I paid 743€ for a Suzuki Grand Vitara 4x4 with GPS.

It is just my recommendation, I did it with them and I am happy!
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 02:02 PM

isn't it great how many wonderful car rental firms there are in Iceland.

and how many people visit fodors for the first time just to tell us that.

I'm touched.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 04:09 AM

Don't rent with Budget - you will get charged for damages you did not cause.
Avoid, avoid!!!
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 06:46 AM

sleeping dog - did you incur extra charges as a result of this pre-existing damage to the car you hired?

have you disputed those costs with you credit card company?
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 07:56 AM

how kind of Stephanie to join fodors just to tell us about her car hire experiences in Iceland.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 08:08 AM

Gummi is another kind person who has joined fodors apparently just to tell us all about this wonderful car hire firm.

yellow button pushed.
Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 08:22 AM

Apparently there are 140 car rental companies in Iceland. Do your research before committing to a car rental. I have used http://www.rent.is/ a few times to find the most affordable car rental for the time and was happy with that. Not sure if there is one that I would recommend above others but if I am forced to, I think I would chose http://www.goiceland.com/ or maybe http://www.glaciercarrental.is/.
What you should do is to do your research of driving conditions. If it is during any other season than summer, you might be hit by bad weather so fast and for people not used to snow, it might be a bit of a surprise. Here is a very useful video to watch before leaving for Iceland:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MprZuQ-gM3M
And this page here is so useful too:
http://www.safetravel.is/
If you want to drive off the beaten path, you will be driving on narrow roads, one lane bridges, sheep roaming free etc. Just know what you want to do, where you want to go and prepare accordingly and you will have a great great time.
Old May 5th, 2014, 01:31 PM

Hi, i recommend that you review the prices compared to the quality of the cars, there are many car rentals in iceland with different prices, you should take a solid car to drive in Iceland.
Old May 6th, 2014, 01:49 PM

BTW, the OP's holiday in Iceland was nearly two years ago so i don't think that s/he is too bothered about car hire now.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 05:14 PM

Alex also joined to tell us about a car rental place.... that doesn't even have an office in Iceland yet!!!! On a thread that is over a year old. Wow. Just wow.

You stole those 2 minutes from me and I can never get them back.

For the record, since someone else may visit this zombie thread, I had a two week rental from Blue Car Rental that was spectacular. Having read horror stories, I was worried about the options and this one was perfect.

I did get every coverage available, including sand. After visiting the beaches near Vik in a driving storm, I can see how you could have the paint peeled off of a car.
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 09:00 AM

thanks for the update, RoamEurope.

Iceland does seem to attract a surprising number of trolls telling us about their wonderful car hire - it must be a cut-throat business for them to bother coming here.
Old Aug 25th, 2015, 03:08 AM

Another one to add to your list. Do not rent through HASSO car rental! I just returned 3 weeks ago from a trip to Iceland. I do admit that some of the damage was mine. I washed the car!!! When I did, I must have scratched the dirt into the door. Mind you, I never noticed this until I took the car back and they pointed it out. They took 2000 Euros off my card. They said they would get it fixed and refund me the difference. After 2 weeks I had not heard a word (they said they would get back to me in a couple of days). They ended up charging me 1200 EURO for one door panel to be painted. It was surface scratched. I have asked for a copy of the insurance report, the insurance company's name, the insurance details themselves, the gravel protection plan (which I took out) , the name of the company where the repairs were done and they refuse to give me any of this information. Worse thing is I had booked and paid for a car through SIXT and read such bad reports about them doing just the same thing so I cancelled the booking and the same things happens! Do your research and be very careful who you book with!
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 08:09 PM

OK I realize the OP is loooong gone and this thread is 50% ridiculous... but I am wondering about actual car rental companies that real humans have used IN Iceland. It seems everyone using Reykjavik Cars or Cars Iceland was a troll.

Any real people use either of these companies with a positive or negative experience? They seem to have the best prices for our Spring 2016 trip by a landslide.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -