Car or Train from Milan?

Search

Car or Train from Milan?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2004, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car or Train from Milan?

We'll be flying into Malpensa and then going on to Santa Margherita Ligure. I've seen that the bus from Malpensa to Milano Centrale is about an hour, and then 2 1/2 hours more by train to the coast. Would it be easier just to rent a car in Milan and drop off in Genoa? Advice is appreciated
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 02:47 PM

i was just in malpensa.. and there is a train station under terminal one which i ASSUME can take you where you want to go, unless it only has trains going north to lake district. (which by the way is soooo near, do not miss at least a stop or two on that shore.)

also check posts about italian insurance policies.
read the fine print. ( this may be true all over, i haven't rented a car for years, and was surprised).

unless i wanted the car for stopping at quaint villages on the way .. i think i would opt for the train/bus if there are just two of you.

Old Oct 31st, 2004, 04:07 PM

From Malepensa you must go into central Milan and transfer trains to reach Genova. If you have any need for a car after Genova it may be to you benefit (convenience wise) to rent it and just let it sit for a few days. However, if just trans from MXP to Genova...by all means take the train. Car rental is not cheap in Italy, mandatory insurance costs the same if not more than the base rental itself. Driving however is easy and not what it is toted to be some horrible hair raising experience....well unless you drive in Rome or Naples....but then again drive in NY, you get the picture. Do what makes sense, have a great trip.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 01:44 AM

BS - I can't see renting a car just for Malpensa-Genova would save you much time. I'd go by train.

The train (FerrovieNord) from Malpensa doesn't go to Milano Centrale - so it's best to take the airport shuttle bus to Milano Centrale.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 03:16 PM

I just came back last week from those places. Don't rent a car. Take the bus or train to Central Station in Milan. Although the bus says 50 minutes, allow more. And, drivers are rude but that's another story. The trains to Genoa leave about once an hour, I think. It takes about an hour and 45 minutes to get to Genoa. In Genoa, be prepared to lug your own luggage down two flights of stairs and then up another two to switch to whatever line your train to Santa M.- will arrive at. WARNING: Do not depend on the overhead signs to tell you which line.......they often change during the last ten minutes and this is announced in Italian and not necessarily posted on the sign. Keep asking. The train to Santa M.- from Genoa takes about an hour. If you try to do all this on the day you arrive....you will be mighty tired. Have a great time and brings tons of money. Meals are outrageously expensive though wonderful.