In Time - Milan to Torino?

Feb 9th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

In Time - Milan to Torino?

Hello. My flight arrives in Milan at 7:45AM. If I take the bus to the central train station then the train to Torino, will I be able to make it to a 12PM Olympics event?
Feb 9th, 2006, 06:48 AM
MaureenB

Try Trenitalia.com for train schedules from Milan to Torino. I think they run quite frequently.
Which Olympic event are you attending-- will it be in Torino, or at a ski area venue which is another hour or more from town?

Feb 9th, 2006, 07:00 AM
GAC

There are unfortunately no trains from Milano to Torino between 9:18 and 11:10 a.m.

You're unlikely to be able to catch the train at 9:18 a.m., because travel time from Malpensa to Milano Centrale is at LEAST 60 minutes (often 90 minutes), and (assuming your flight arrives exactly on time) you're not likely to leave MXP any sooner than 8:30 a.m., having first passed through long lines at Passport Control and then collecting your luggage.

You will NOT arrive in Torino by 12 noon.

The non-stop SADEM airporter bus from MXP to Torino leaves at 11:30 a.m., again not soon enough.

www.sadem.it

I suggest that you rent a car at MXP and rush to Torino on your own.
Feb 9th, 2006, 07:04 AM

I don't think so. Say you get out of the terminal at 8:30, get on the 8:40 bus, you get to Milano Centrale at 9:30. You've missed the 9:18 train; and the next one is 11:10, arriving at Torino around 13:00.
Feb 9th, 2006, 08:02 AM
MaureenB

I'm surprised additional trains haven't been scheduled during the Olympics. Are you sure there's no train between 9:18 and 11:18 a.m.? Sounds like an oversight on their part, if true.

Feb 9th, 2006, 08:07 AM

I think most Italians outside of the Turin area care about the Olympics at all. I was in Rome/Florence/Milan over Christmas, which was <2 months before the Winter Games, and I didn't see any sign or ads related to the Olympics at all in any of those cities.

So, I'm not surprised that TrenItalia isn't running extra trains to the region.
Feb 9th, 2006, 08:17 AM

I am also surprised they have not added trains to/from Turin. The only increase has been from Turin to the mountain venues. I will be based in Milan and have two problems..one Cross Country Ski event at 10:00 AM in the mountains, and the first train leaves at 5(something AM) from Milan and between changing trains and using the shuttle system, I will not arrive until almost noon! Also last train leaves Turin for Milan 11:00PM I will be at closing ceremonies until at least Midnight...next train is 4:50AM Turin to Milan. It will still be a good time though!
Feb 9th, 2006, 08:25 AM

HERE IT IS, right from the Trenitalia site, but available only in Italian. I will translate for you.
1. The new high-speed train from Milano to Torino WILL be working during the Olympics.
2. You can catch this train directly from Milano Malpensa airport, departing from Malpensa at 10:40 and arriving directly in Torino at the Porta Susa station at 11:53 and then at the Porta Nuova station at 12:05. You will be slightly late. Your olympic ticket package will tell you which train station is closest.
3. You will get a special price for using this service: 16 Euros for second class and 21 Euros for first class.
4. This trip involves a 30-minute or so bus transfer to the appropriate train station. I believe you have to purchase these tickets ON SITE, as the website does not give any information as to how to order them online (they only give info for the Milano Centrale-Torino line).
5. Since this train leaves at 10:40 and you are arriving at 0745, you can approach any info desk. They will help you out.
6. For further details, go to the www.trenitalia.com site. USE THE ITALIAN VERSION, and click on the special window in the upper right hand part of the page. It will link you to all the details, but in Italian only.
Good luck!
Feb 10th, 2006, 07:09 AM
GAC

This direct airporter train service MXP/Torino will operate from February 10 through February 26!!!!!!!

What a deal!
Feb 10th, 2006, 10:48 AM

It's in English, too, not to be missed, the huge ad top right at

www.trenitalia.it/en/index.html

WK
Feb 10th, 2006, 11:17 AM

Not only do Ferrovie dello Stato have a terrific service from Malpensa to Turin.

They've written the website WallyKringen refers us do in proper English. No "Venezia". No "Milano". No other pretentious slugs of pseudo-Italian.

Now if the Italian government can get "Turin" right in English, why can't the self-styled English speakers on this thread?
Feb 10th, 2006, 08:42 PM

You haven't indicated which event you plan to see. Only a few sports are held near the city center. For more details, please visit www. olympicproportins.net
Feb 11th, 2006, 10:23 AM

Glad to see they finally posted it in English! When I posted, it was only in Italian!
Feb 14th, 2006, 01:45 AM
Original Poster

I am watching skiing up on the mountains, so I don't think I'll make it since it's another 1 hour bus to the mountain and another 30 minutes to the event site. Alpine ladies downhill.
Feb 15th, 2006, 12:30 AM

DRAT!!!!
Best of luck...