Search

Car in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Paci

Car in Italy

We used to rent a car whenever we would travel to really see the area. Do not jump on me for this but is it safe to drive in Italy? We are going to the Tuscan countryside but we were going to either use a private driver or public transportation. Are we missing out by not renting our own car and doing the driving ourselves. We would be renting out of Florence.

Old Aug 20th, 2004, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am not sure what you mean by safe. Are you asking about bad roads? Or bad drivers? Or being stolen by gypsies?

I can;t imagine any of these is a significant problem - although I have seen a few bad drivers.

It will be much more fun - and you will have much more flexibility - if you rent a car - and unless you're a timid driver - there's really nothing to be concerned about.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 10:19 AM

Paci,you say that you used to rent a car...what made you change your mind this time? How long ago did you rent a car in Italy? if age is your concern,then I completely understand, but otherwise I don't think driving is anymore dangerous recently. We have driven for years and will do so again next week. However, I do have friends who would never do it. Guess it is a personal thing.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 10:22 AM

If your intention is to see the smaller hilltowns for several days or a week or longer, then the best way to see Tuscany is by car. A car gives you the freedom to stop whenever and wherever you choose. There are so many wonderful vineyards, shops, cafes, restaurants, etc. not to mention picture taking opportunities that can only be found by wandering and exploring the region at leisure.

Both times we drove through Tuscany, we felt completely safe during the daylight hours. We tend to not drive at night only because the roads are unfamiliar and it isn't fun getting lost in the dark, although we did drive at night twice and we were fine.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Paci

Mincepie:

We have never been to Italy before but when traveling in the Carribean or Mexico, we always rented a car. I keep hearing about so-called "bandits" on the roadways and at the risk of sounding like a "drama queen," wanted to know the possibility of something like this happening. Also, we used to do this in our 20's and 30's. Now, at the age of 50, a little fear has set in, yet, we do not want to miss out on a wonderful experience.

Old Aug 20th, 2004, 10:51 AM

At the risk of repeating what I said a few days ago on another thread, I'll comment.
We have been to Tuscany a few times and always rented a car as we often do for smaller towns in Europe. But this year we had a very bad wreck in Wales just before going to Italy, so we called up and cancelled the car for our week in Montepulciano. It ended up being a blessing. Instead of our usual driving around all day exploring towns and whizzing through the countryside, we took busses to nearby towns, explored them more in depth, and walked from village to village through the countryside. I feel we experienced Tuscany far more than ever before. Where there are no trains, there is usually good bus service, and walking is great. The busses are on time, clean, air conditioned, comfortable, and have huge windows so even the person normally driving can see what you're passing.
If your goal is to quickly get from place to place, then YES you need a car. If you can relax and take it as it comes, you may really enjoy not having one.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 01:23 PM

Well - I've heard of banditos in Mexico (friends of a friend did in fact have their car taken - and themselves stranded, on a picnic out of Puerto Vallerta) but never in italy.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Paci

Thanks, everyone. We really love to hike and are in great shape so maybe we'll do the bus/hiking thing since we are only talking about 1-2 days. If we were spending more time in Tuscany, we would probably rent a car.