Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where in Europe have you made your money go farthest?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As we look toward our next trip to Europe - whenever and wherever it may be - I'm curious to know where you feel like you've been able to stretch your money most. When I research budget travel destinations, what I usually find is a list of countries/cities to which there are good flight deals and in which reasonably priced lodging abounds. However, as I've probably mentioned in previous threads, we tend to fly using miles and stay using hotel points, so I'm more interested in costs such as food, shopping, public transport, landmark attractions, day trips, etc.

Of course I know that most places are as cheap or as expensive as you make them. But I'm wondering if there are destinations that people might not necessarily think of as budget-friendly, but actually are. For example, we recently spent a week in Munich and found it surprisingly affordable, and we didn't stint on food or activities at all.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 05:52 AM

I can only compare where I've been recently. Last two months - London, Paris, Berlin, and Seville. We found Seville to be very affordable. Beautiful city, great food, architecture, etc. Actually a bargain and cheaper than home.
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 06:03 AM

The air fare and hotel costs are my major costs, so the rest of it doesn't really matter that much in terms of my overall budget. But of course I've found public transportation and attraction fees to be cheaper in mid-eastern Europe than in Western Europe, that's the big difference. And then attraction fees, at least, are cheaper in smaller cities than the major capitals. That's the main difference, I think, the big major cities versus smaller ones, in terms of most costs.

I don't really shop hardly at all so that is irrelevant to me, and your costs for shopping depend on what you are buhing and why, obviously. If you jsut buy a few cheap souvenirs, that can't be a major item in your budget anywhere. But I guess the Czech Republic and Poland were cheaper for me than France/UK/Spain/Switzerland in terms of those costs (food and transportation and museums). But it depends what you want to do, also, Paris and London have attractions that are free, but others cost a lot (Paris museum costs can be high for the Louvre and Orsay, for example). I think Barcelona had some high attraction costs, also, it's not a cheap city.
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I should have noted that I meant recent costs, since things fluctuate so much, especially in this crazy economy. Christina, that is interesting about Barcelona. I've always thought of it as a less expensive destination. And good point about big cities vs. smaller ones (though I've been in some towns and villages that could give the capitals a run for their money...the Bernese Oberland comes to mind).
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 06:40 AM

Portugal !
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 06:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Greece but that was several years ago.

IMO a significant part of what may make a place "expensive" is due to the currency exchange rate. I can remember when the Euro and US dollar were at par; I also remember when the Swiss Franc was a lot cheaper than it is now.

I think Switzerland is pricey; London can also be pricey, etc., etc.
Depends also IMO on where you stay and what you like to do.

I would not avoid a place I really wanted to visit just because it is expensive; I would make a determined effort to save money for the trip if I decided the expense was worth it.
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 06:47 AM

We traveled to Austria, Czech Republic and Hungary this year and found our dollar bought the most in Hungary. Travel costs were more expensive to Central Europe than Western Europe but food and lodging in Hungary was the cheapest. Would definitely recommend it as travel destination, lots to see and do (and eat!).
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 06:58 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Portugal, Greece, Hungary
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 07:12 AM

Definitely Portugal. Lisbon is a lovely city, lots to see, do and eat, and our expenses there were surprisingly modest. I can say much the same of Prague, Warsaw, Krakow, Budapest and Belgrade.
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 07:48 AM

Another vote for Portugal. I also generally find small towns in the country off the beaten tourist track much more affordable. For example, we found Le Marche in Italy much cheaper than other areas.
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 08:26 AM

Portugal was the absolutely cheapest country I've been to. Food is inexpensive and the portions are very large. One person should ask for half a portion and sometimes half portions could feed 2 people with a side veg or salad. Lodging prices are also inexpensive. The Lisbon area was the most expensive and small/medium towns were downright cheap.

Czech Republic and Poland are also budget places. I spent about $1,500 last year for 2 weeks in Poland (trains, no car rental). That covers everything except air fare (did not shop).

The Czech Republic (outside Prague) is very inexpensive and even in Prague it's possible to find budget lodging and restaurants.

The same is true for all countries - minimize the time in major cities and avoid popular sightseeing areas for eating and you can stretch your money very far and still see some wonderful things.
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Great feedback so far. I love all the suggestions! Please keep them coming, Fodorites!

Since hotels where we can use points tend to be clustered in major city centers, I'd be open to an inexpensive inn, B&B or farm stay for smaller and more rural places.
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 08:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
bamafam - you make a good point there about rural places/small towns being cheaper than large cities.

I agree about "eastern" europe being cheaper in general than the west, though i have always found Germany to be good value, even in Berlin. Recent threads on Puglia suggest that you can still eat there pretty cheaply [and well] too.
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 12:21 PM

We found central europe - esp Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland to be significantly less expensive than western europe - and much more so than Switz and Scandinavia. Things were distinctly less then in NYC - but still might seem expensive if you live in a rural area with very low prices.

(We had a truly wonderful dinner in Prague one night and it was only about $250 for 4 people - including wines - and in NYC would have been at least $500. Hotel rates in all 3 countries were also quite reasonable.)
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 12:41 PM

I join the penny-pinchers who suggest Hungary. Budapest is Paris at half price.
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 12:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
and i meant to add that you can considerably reduce costs by staying longer in one place and by renting an apartment.
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 02:38 PM

I have not gone to Portugal but DS and DDIL went last year and liked it very much and it is definitely a bargain!
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 03:15 PM

Just got back from Krakow, Poland, and spent less than $200 per day on;

4 star hotel including a rich buffet breakfast,
lunch and dinner, daily, in top rated restaurants, including a bottle of wine with dinner

Skipping the wine we could have done it for under $170.

Considering how blown away I was with Polish cuisine (it's much more than pierogies!), this was a true value experience.
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 06:41 PM

Central-Eastern Europe, Portugal, Greece, Turkey...and don't forget North Africa if you want to get out of Europe.
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 04:32 AM

I might add Croatia/Bosnia/Montenegro. While Croatia isn't as inexpensive as it used to be, it can still be very budget friendly. Add in the simply gorgeous coastal scenery of Croatia & Montenegro to the difference in culture and recent war history of Bosnia and I think this area is incredibly attractive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -