car hire paris to dordogne??

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car hire paris to dordogne??

We arrive in Paris (CDG) mid week in the middle of august and are going to rent in the Dordogne from the following saturday for a week.
Friends suggested us getting a train to Chartres or Orleans and hire a car there.
There are four of us - two teen daughters. My husband thinks we should hire a car at CDG (the train will probably cost at least as much as car hire for maybe an extra day and would be much less tricky with luggage etc), however, I am concerned about him driving in paris. Is there a ring route that means you can miss paris and drive down to the south easily?
When we come back we are staying in Paris for a few days in the Marais and will need to work out the best way of getting the car back again. Any ideas very appreciated.
Also can anyone suggest a route to take on our way south for a few days - it would be nice to see some of the Loire valley of course - we like country walking, markets, smaller villages rather than cities. And can we find accommodation as we go for just a few nights at that time of the year?
thanks muchly
kate
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

oops meant to say the car would be much less tricky with luggage etc than the train!!
Kate
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 11:33 PM

aussiekate

Definitely pick up a car at CDG but if you are arriving after a very long flight, you shouldn't consider driving too far or for too long a period. In terms of train - too hard with luggages and negotiating your way around the various stations/platforms.

You will not have to drive into Paris to get to the Dordogne. After you collect your car, heading south you'll probably be advised to leave CDG on A3 then connenct to A32 and then the A10 towards the direction of Bordeaux. It is freeway all the way so don't worry about getting lost, you won't.

Insofar as driving back to Paris is concerned, don't worry either. There is a ring road which is a highway that goes around Paris. Just make sure you know where you need to drop your car off, then pick the exit to leave the ring road. Ask your car rental company for a good Paris map when you collect your car and return direction.

In 2004 we did a similar trip to the Dordogne via the Loire as followsbr />
Left CDG drove straight to Chambord, it took approx 4 hours, a long drive after a long flight. Our original destination was Amboise but fatigue got the better of us and that was as far as I could drive on that day. Nevertheless, Chambord is the site of one of the greatest castles in the Loire valley and we stayed within the grounds of the chateau, it was special to say the least. The hotel was Le Grand St-Michel, a very basic outfit, we paid 70E for the night.

We then stationed at Amboise for a couple of days and visited other surrounding chateaux including the romantic Chenonceau.

We left the Loire Valley, taking the A10 towards the direction of Bordeaux, passing through the beautiful St Emilion. Our destination was Domme, stayed there for a few days and explored nearby towns and hamlets, notably La Roque Gageac, Baynac, Sarlat, Monpazier, Rocamadour. Our last stop in the Dordogne region was St Cirq Lapopie after which we continued south towards the Pyrenees.

Where are you staying in the Dordogne? Mid-August is the best time to be in France with diminishing tourists and weather still relatiively warm, we were there around the same time of the year.

Have fun planning your trip!

S

PS Given your screen name, I assume you are from downunder. Where are you from? I live in Sydney.

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 12:37 AM

If you contact me, I can send you the directions we give people who rent from us for getting from Paris to the Dordogne - including how to drive around, rather than through Paris. Another possiblity is to take the airport shuttle (navette) to Orly, which is on the south side of Paris, so you miss the traffic. Pick up your car there, and get right onto the autoroute.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 08:06 AM

I wold get the car in CDG and stop either in Fontainebleau or near Vaux-le-Vicomte. Visit one of the chateaux before going to the Loire valley. Mid-week sounds like Wednesday. So you have Thursday and Friday to see chateaux in the Loire valley, and then a longish drive to the Dordogne. I suggest you go downstream. You might want to see Fontainebleau or Vaux-le-Vicomte, Chambord, Chenonceau, Amboise, Villandry for its garden, Chaumont for its annual garden comptetition, Azay-le-Rideau. These are too many, you'll have to choose. On the way to the Dordogne, stop by St. Savin (about 30 km. east of Poitiers) to visit the Romanesque abbey church.

Get the Michelin Road Atlas and start planning your route.

To whet your appetite, here are some photos:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...2&tid=34670352

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 12:50 PM
ira

Hi AK,

You can take the 13:45 TGV from CDG Terminal 2 to Libourne, arr 17:36, and pick up your car there. PREMS fares about 39E pp.

This will put you safely in the Bordeaux area the same day, and save you hotel costs.

You might find my trip report helpful for what to do for a few days getting to your rental.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34676645

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 03:23 PM

But Ira, they have several days before they get to the Dordogne, so why not enjoy the Loire valley?
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much to everyone who has taken the time to reply - had a crazy weekend but am looking forward to digesting all the info and making a plan. And yes it would be nice to explore the Loire a little on the way.
It does seem doable to get a car from CDG but the other possibility seems to get the shuttle to Orly - will follow up some more
Again thanks a bunch
AK
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

swagman
sorry I forgot to answer your query.
Am in adelaide - occasionally work in sydney but born and bred in the south!
K
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 03:09 AM
ira

Hi Michael,

>But Ira, they have several days before they get to the Dordogne, so why not enjoy the Loire valley?<

Why not enjoy the valleys of the Lot and the Tarn, as well as St. Emilion, Albi, Castelnau, Cabrerets, Peche Merle, Figeac, etc?

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 07:34 AM

Ira,

Because the Loire chateaux are a must for what I assume are first time visitors.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:19 AM
ira

Hi M,

>...the Loire chateaux are a must for what I assume are first time visitors. <

If they are 1st-time visitors, why are they not staying in Paris?

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:56 AM

They might be like my wife's cousins who do not like cities. On their first trip to Europe, they assiduously avoided all large cities, including Paris, but saw Burgundy and the Dordogne.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone - we are going to Paris but after the Dordogne
do you think europcar is the best bet re car rentals? and do you book from overseas via the internet?
thanks
K
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:25 PM
ira

Hi AK,

>..do you think europcar is the best bet re car rentals?<

No.

www.autoeurope.com will book you through Europcar for a much lower rate. They also have better customer service.

Also see www.novarentacar.com

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:45 PM

aussiekate

If you are booking from downunder, Australia in particular, go through Driveaway Holidays, www.driveaway.com.au, they will source the best deal for you.

S