Car for 6 in Italy

Search

Car for 6 in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car for 6 in Italy

I am traveling through Italy in September with my husband and two other couples - 6 adults in total. We want to rent one car and have tentatively reserved a Renault Espace, but I am worried about luggage space. We don't want to rent two cars and prefer not to get a 9-passenger van as that would be too big to manuever (especially on the Amalfi Coast).

Has anyone rented the Espace and is it possible to squeeze 6 adults and luggage (one medium-large bag each)? Maybe with taking out the 7th seat and in between the other seats? We'd only have luggage with us on the trips between cities - just a couple of times.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 03:00 PM
annieladd

Jess, where are you going to leave the 7th seat? We rented a van in France last year, and considered pulling out a seat, but AutoEurope wouldn't let us leave it with then. That wouldn't have worked anyway since we dropped the car off in another location. We did fine with the van through tiny tiny roads in the Dordogne. But, I can't speak for Italy. 6 people and luggage is a problem even in the van, we never actually had everyone and their luggage in it since we arrived at different times.

Final call, if I were you, I'd rent two cars. More luggage space, and you have more flexibility.

I'm sure there are folks here with much more expertise in this matter, but there's my 2 cents. Have a good time, maybe we'll see you there! annieladd

Old Aug 8th, 2007, 04:25 PM

There is no car in europe that will hold 6 adults and 6 full-size bags. It simply doesn't exist.

You'll even have trouble fitting all that into a van.

I strongly reco you consider 2 cars instead. Can;t imagine all 6 of you will want to be joined at the hip every moment - and 2 cars gives you so much more freedom. And = you still have a couple of drivers for each car.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 04:52 PM

We had 6 adults, and luggage to match, in Italy last October. Granted, we didn't do the Amalfi Coast, so I can't speak to the tiny hillside roads and such, but...

We rented a Mercedes Vito 9 pax van, and had no problems at all, not on tiny little alley type roads, or windy, bumpy country roads. We were comfortable, and had ample room for the luggage we arrived with, as well as the extra bags we went home with. All 6 of us were very pleased with the rental.

Ours was through autoeurope.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 06:08 AM
ira

Hi J,

I also suggest 2 cars.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 09:12 AM

We just returned and rented an espace for 5 of us. I think you can do it! It will be cramped....3 in the middle seat, 1 in the back with bags packed tight. The area behind the seats is narrow, but as long as the bags aren't huge, it can be done. The Renault was a fine car...fast enough for the freeways and easy to park and negotiate narrow roads.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Are you planning to make sightseeing stops between base hotels? One thing to think about is to make sure all your luggage is hidden if you leave your car parked while you sightsee. You don't want to invite thieves. This will affect the kind of car you pick.

I think 2 cars are better.
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

slbuz - Finally someone who gives me some hope! We really don't want two cars. Driving together is half the fun of the trip!

We're only going to have luggage with us a couple of times, aren't stopping along the way on those drives and will make every effort to pack as light as possible. We're not so much concerned as to whether we can do it comfortably (we'll survive for a few hours), but rather whether it can be done at all. We really don't want to have to get two cars, have two drivers and then have to be split up every time we go somewhere.

Thanks everyone for your input!