Car & Driver in Paris?

Sep 22nd, 2006, 08:39 PM
IWS
Original Poster

Car & Driver in Paris?

I've picked up some great tips / ideas on this site re car / driver in Rome. Does anyone have a recommendation for Paris. I will be there in about 3 weeks and am travelling with my wife and 3 kids.

Even spending a bit more I find is generally worth it especially between the airport and hotel. Also if they can tailor some day and 1/2 day tours around the city it is a bit more comfortable than the usual bus tours and you get to learn more about the place and the people. Ian
Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:30 AM
Neopolitan

Funny, I've never thought that a car was a decent way to see Paris. You'll learn a whole lot more about Paris and its people by walking among them.
I suppose a guide would be a nice idea if you want a lot of narration -- Michael Osman is often mentioned here (mainly in reference to hearing back from him), but I don't think he drives you around in a car -- that would seem to defeat the purpose.

Sep 23rd, 2006, 02:50 PM
IWS
Original Poster

Funny? I don't think buses are all that great either and whilst I agree that walking is the best way to meet people, have you got any other great ideas on how to get out of the city and see as much of Paris as we can with 3 kids in tow?
Sep 23rd, 2006, 03:08 PM

Well, you know, a driver who gives private tours cost perhaps three times more the cost of a regular sightseeing tour company. Sure, I get why you prefer to have the ease of touring with three kids.

I emailed this French woman who is a private driver/tour operator and she replies to emails promptly and is willing to work out a good rate. I found her on the tourism site parisinfo.com. Her name's Sabine Le Duault. She offers tours within Paris and outside Paris. She does require prepayment by wire. Unfortunately I ended up not hiring her.

http://paris.authentique.free.fr/sab_eng_06cltour1.htm

Sep 23rd, 2006, 03:36 PM

It seems like a car in most major cities is a good way to really soak up a view of the same street. Eventually, you'll get to turn the corner and see a new street. If you miss anything, you'll see it again and again as you look for a place to park.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 03:48 PM

L84SKY, but the o.p. isn't going to be doing the driving.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 04:29 PM

I just returned from London/Paris and while we just did a day trip to Paris via the Eurostar, I had hired a driver/guide through British Tours. Jiji was our guide's name and he was excellent. Buses can't go up to MontMarc, but cars can. I would't do it anyother way--especially if you are wanting to learn about Paris, etc. He asked us what we especially wanted to do and he added some places we didn't know about.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 04:33 PM
Neopolitan

Oh, your last post threw me. Now you say "get out of the city" which is a whole lot different from "around the city" which I took to mean inside the city.

On the other hand, if you want to get "out of the city" then why not take the RER to Versailles, or to (gasp heard now by some readers) Disneyland Paris?

I guess my point was I don't find much benefit in traveling all over the city to "see" every building. I'd pick a few spots and go there and enjoy them. To me, experiencing a city isn't about seeing it all.

And frankly, one of those tour busses (hop on, hop off type) really is a better way to "see" the city highlights than six people in a car, in my opinion.

Sep 23rd, 2006, 04:58 PM
IWS
Original Poster

MollyB - thank you!! I'm happy to search on British Tours but if you have a link / contact I would appreciate it. Most of the holiday is being booked through Qantas but I'm making arrangements for side trips / tours / cars prior to leaving Oz.

Jiji sounds exactly like a guy I've made arrangements with in Rome - from advice I received on this site - many thanks for your response. Ian
Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:10 PM

Sorry if I wasn't helpful enough, but looks like you found what you needed already.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:11 PM

Btw, I agree with Neopolitan about the hop on/hop off buses. Gee, my cousin did that type of tour with her husband and toddler. I think you can very well manage with three older kids. In fact, it'll be much cheaper than hiring private tour guides!
Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:34 PM

IWS....hiring a driver and car seems IDEAL for getting around Paris and outskirts. You'll have a wonderful overview of things,and the feel of the city. I know you'll be doing lots of walking also... and lots of "mingling among the people". With 3 kids it will be perfect.
I only wish I could give you a personal recommendation, which is always better., ....but I'm sure one could be found by doing lots of research.....perhaps with some of the sites like "BonjourParis.com" etc.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:09 PM
IWS
Original Poster

Thank you Mari for your thoughtfull post - part of the fun is researching but it can also be daunting!! I appreciate some of the very good advice I've been given on this site as it has helped a lot - Ian
Sep 23rd, 2006, 11:08 PM

I talked with Aline via e-mail at: [email protected].
I told her what I expected and she encouraged my questions. We were very satisfied. Our driver/guide met us at the train station and delivered back. He suggested two or three places for lunch (after we told him what kind of lunch we wanted). We were very satisfied. His name was Jiji.