Gimmelwald and Murren/worth visiting?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd thought about stopping in Gimmelwald and/or Murren and riding to the Schilthorn/Piz Gloria on my way to Rome from Zurich this April..<BR><BR>Are Gimmelwald and Murren worth visiting, or spending the night?
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:59 PM

Scooter - Murren is certainly worth a visit. The Schilthorn trip is amazing but is so weather dependent that you may not be able to take it. I wouldn't bother with Gimmelwald unless you just wanted to walk down from Murren. There is no &quot;there&quot; there. The scenery in the area can't be beat and there are many lovely hikes in the area. CJ
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 10:36 AM

I've read such glowing reports about Gimmelwald?<BR><BR>Could I not have an enjoyable time eating cheese and drinking wine overlooking the scenery? (that sounds funny, but that's really the kind of thing I enjoy. In the U.S. it would be beer and peanuts)<BR><BR>Anyway, is Murren the same quality of scenery, inexpensive lodgings etc?<BR><BR>
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 11:35 AM

Gimmelwald is a very small place. I have walked through it a few times, and don't recall much about it. I recall no hotels although there is a Gasthaus of some description, a few homes that rent rooms to tourists, and few farm houses that sell cheese and other products. <BR><BR>M&uuml;rren on the other hand is a full resort village with hotels, apartments, stores, restaurants, etc.<BR><BR>The Luftseilbahn from Stechelberg to the Schilthorn makes its first stop in/at Gimmelwald. Passengers bound for M&uuml;rren and the Schilthorn change cars at that point. <BR><BR>
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 12:13 PM

lawdogkms: &quot;I've read such glowing reports about Gimmelwald&quot;... So had I but Rick Steves put this small farming community on the tourist map. There is a hostel and a rustic sort of hotel with a place to eat - Walter's. The scenery all around Gimmelwald and Murren is what you go for. Of course, you can sit on a patio, drink wine (or beer), eat cheese and take in the scenery. Search the forum for Murren or Gimmelwald and you will get a good idea of what to expect and where to stay. Have fun - and don't miss that area. CJ