Capri or Taormina?

Old Apr 1st, 2003, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capri or Taormina?

We have to decide where to spend the last 4 nights of a very active big city tour of Italy. This is a honeymoon visit and we would like to complete the last 4 nights in a sunny place with lost of R&R. We were originally scheduled to go to Santorini, but my husband is not comfortable traveling back to the States from Athens due to current int'l climate. I have heard that both Capri and Taormina are wonderful, and I would like something that is comparable to Santorini in terms of romance and relaxation. We would be leaving from Rome, so travel time is a consideration. Ok, thanks again and let me know what you think.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 08:22 AM

While Taormina is lovely, I just don't think it compares to the beauty of Capri. Considering your travel time needs, no question--choose Capri.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 04:51 PM

I agree - given that you're leaving from Rome, Capri makes much more sense. And, if you're visiting Capri, the way to do it is to spend some time there - since the whole island changes after the last tour boat leaves. It's magical.<BR><BR>If you want to stay on the mainland, I spent some time at Il Pelicano, a beautiful hotel on the sea - just north of Rome. It's a splurge, but fabulous. I'll send you the website if I can find it...<BR><BR>Dona
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 04:53 PM

Hi -<BR>I found it...<BR><BR>http://www.pellicanohotel.com/<BR><BR>Have a great time, whatever you decide...<BR><BR>Dona
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 05:13 PM

Wow, what a choice. I think in the long run I actually prefer Taormina a bit over Capri especially for four days as there is more to do, but hey, this is your honeymoon so looking for something to do is not an issue. I think Capri is the wisest choice for you. Its beauty, especially at night is simply magical.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 05:26 PM

While I haven't been to Santorini, I just came back from Sorrento and visited Capri last month and Capri is a lovely island.<BR><BR>It will be great for honeymoon/R&amp;R. Be prepared for lots of tourists if you go in the Summer. There really isn't much to do (ie: museums and things) other than to just enjoy the scenary and the island. There is a neat Villa San Michele to visit in Anacapri (2nd town on the other side of the island).<BR><BR>We had a very active city tour of Italy for 2 weeks and we relaxed in Athens for another 4 nights. We saw a few student protestors outside of a parliament building, but the Greek people that we encountered in the restaurants and touristy placed were VERY polite and hospitable towards us when we said we were Americans. <BR><BR>Enjoy your vacation!
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 06:17 PM

I would go to Taormina. Capri is fabulous, but after Easter it will be jam packed with tourists--hardly the ideal atmosphere for a honeymoon. Taormina is more out of the way and exotic. However, if I had the choice, I would go to the Costa Smeralda on Sardinia for my honeymoon.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your helpful input. I've inquired at some hotels in Capri for availability - we need for the 2nd week of May. Per the reviews on this board, looking at Villa Brunella and Ceasar Augustus, as well as Luna. <BR><BR>ThinGorjus - I hadn't thought about Sardinia, any thoughts on how long it would take to get there from Rome what the weather's like in early May?
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 08:25 PM

It would probably take an little more than an hour to fly from Rome to Cagliari. You would then have to drive to the coast. The weather in early May would be nice, but I think the water may be a little to cold to swim. Only the most elite of the elite vacation on Costa Smeralda. I think you would have a fantastic time, if you want to spend the money. If you decide on Capri, the ONLY hotel to stay at is Quisisana. I would stay nowhere else. But, Luna does have a nice pool, garden, and a beautiful view.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info ThinGrojus! <BR><BR>I think we'll go with Capri as this makes sense with regard to making the best of limited travel time. Will look into the hotels you mentioned. Thanks again.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:25 AM

Capri is beautiful - You can easily visit Sorrento by hydrofoil (if you want more shops - although not as classy as Capri shops but less expensive). You can also visit the rest of the Amalfi Coast from Capri - the town of Amalfi is a bit touristy but Ravello, slightly further on is beautiful - very quiet and peaceful. It is worth paying a few Euros to look round Rufolo Gardens (just off the main square) with fantastic views of the coastline. You could also have a sail to the Island of Ischia for the day.<BR>Another hotel in Capri is the Casa Morgana - I havent been there but looks lovely in the brochures - balcony and breakfast in your room.<BR>Have a wonderful honeymoon!
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:58 AM
GAC

Capri nudges out Taormina by a smudge, in my opinion. If I were to do an Italian honeymoon, I would also seriously consider two or three nights at the Hotel Villa Cimbrone within the exclusive grounds of the whimsical Villa Cimbrone in Ravello. In my opinion, no hotel in Capri matches the uniqueness of Villa Cimbrone experience (although the views from the Hotel Caesar Augustus in Anacapri are also magical).<BR><BR>Too bad for Sardinia. It's only 35 minutes flying time from Rome, and the beaches there are really lovely. However, the sea water during the second week of May is still cold (you could, however, stick to the pool). If you ever decide on Sardinia for the future, I've got lots of tips.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:43 AM

Diva, many congrats!<BR>I have been to Capri many time( I used to spend the summers there as a child) this is a helpful web site for Carpi-www.caprionline.com<BR>It has hotel/restaurant listing as well as the hydrfoil schedule.<BR>Here are some hotels to check out: Casa Morgano, la Scalinatella, Puta Taragara &amp; Mamela.<BR>The Villa Brunella is lovely , but be where there are many many steps.<BR>Feel free to email me with any questions.<BR>Fluffy
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:17 PM

I stayed at La Scalinatella which was gorgeous - one of my favorites. It, along with the Casa Morgana next door, have the same owners as the Quisisana. While the Quisisana is a beautiful old hotel, it's a little too much in the center of things for me. I'd return to La Scalinatella in a second! But, beware - when I was there, believe it or not, they only accepted cash!
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

You guys are getting me revved up! Thank you all for such great feedback. We booked Luna based on all the rave reviews it's received on this board. Incidentally, have any of you driven to Salerno from Rome? Is it an easy drive? And can anyone recommend a reliable/english-speaking car service to pick us up from Salerno for a drive to the Amalfi?
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:23 PM

If you get bored in Capri (not very likely!)...you can take the ferry over to Ischia for a quieter atmosphere.<BR><BR>It only takes about 40 minutes.<BR><BR>Have a great trip.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:25 PM

Both are lovely, but Capri is close and very romantic. You must be able to walk up and down hills and steps but lots of spots to stop and ............kiss!<BR>Very relaxed and it is expensive if you shop so do so on the mainland. We stayed 2 years ago at Hotel Mamela and had a gorgeous huge room, king bed and large bath brekkie included and gorgeous view of the bay. Best thing is it is an easy walk to the center of town and all around Capri. To go to Anacapri and the gorgeous sites there, grab the bus at city center. Get a pass for a couple days. See the Grotto (AM or Late Afternoon for smooth water) and live and love!!!
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

BTW - Anyone know if the Quisisana spa is open to everyone or just guests of the hotel? Are there any spas in Ischia which anyone can recommend?
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:48 AM

I'm not a &quot;spa&quot; person myself, travlindiva, but the last time I was there I stayed at the Hotel Mare Blu. Plenty of folks were in the mineral tubs and mud baths there.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:05 AM

Capri!! Taormina is way down in Sicilia. You would have another 6 or 7 hour train down the boot of Italy, then a boat ride over to Sicilia, then a train down to Taormina. Way too much trouble (unless you have the time). It makes more sense to see Capri since that is closest to Rome.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -