Capri - Bathing Establishment?

Sep 16th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Capri - Bathing Establishment?

Is it true that it is very expensive to rent beach chairs in Capri? I have heard that some one has paid atleast 40euro.
Sep 16th, 2004, 12:57 PM

I don't know. I've never heard of anyone going to Capri to lie on a beach. There's so little beach there, I wouldn't be surprised if most of that price is for the space, not just the chair.
Sep 16th, 2004, 01:38 PM

I was reading that this summer in Italy the prices applied by the beach establishments were more or less unchanged compared to last season. The medium price for one chais runs about 5-7 euros per person, whereas the bed is about 7-9 eurso, the shade is about 6 euros, whereas the cabin (where you can change) is about 25 euros. Tourists though complained by the fact that the prices always go up, so maybe it depends on the establishment (due to the position or the facilities it offers etc) to raise their prices, this I don't know. Now, maybe in Capri the prices are a little higher especially in Marina Piccola and marina Grande the 2 main beaches of the island, but I am puzzled by the fact that it is 40 euros for ONE chair.
Sep 16th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Batuffolina - i do hope that it doesnt cost 40 Euro to rent a chair. even if its a cabin - that's still a lot of money. Thank you for the information though. Have you heard of Hotel Weber in Capri?
Sep 16th, 2004, 03:25 PM

No unfortunately I have never stayed at hotel Weber so I can't tell you how it is. Maybe some other fodorite stayed there and can give you better advices. I looked at their website though and it looks very very verrrrry nice, right near the beach of Marina Piccola and it has gorgeous views.
I can give you an advice though. When I went at Marina Piccola in 1984 (I know it's sooo long ago, I was a teen ager) I cut my foot on one of the rocks, so as marina Piccola beach is rocky with a few little concrete decks and steps, you might want to wear plastic (actually rubber) sandals.
Sep 17th, 2004, 10:28 AM

Italy2005 -
We spent the last few days of our honeymoon on Capri at the Hotel Luna. We actually prefer swimming in the Med over lounging by a pool so we spent our days at the Fontelina beach club down by the Faraglioni. There is no sand whatsoever, the club is carved out among the rocks with small concrete pads on the rocks providing flat ground upon which to place your chairs, etc. It has a small open air restaurant that my husband ate lunch at daily. He spent around 25 Euro for a simple meal and beverage. We paid 10 Euro for a chair or thin mattress and 5 Euro for a beach towel - total of 15 Euro pp. I personally don't find this price prohibitive but each to his own. We loved our days down there, lounging in the sun with a view of the Faraglioni, people and yacht watching, and swimming into the clear blue water. We were on Capri in mid September and the club was busy by late morning. We went early and were able to get a good spot - something to consider depending upon the beach club you visit and the time of year you are visiting.
Sep 17th, 2004, 10:33 AM

Sorry - just so you know - we were there in 2003.
Sep 17th, 2004, 11:05 AM

Actually, you can just go down on the other side of where you purchase the funicular tickets to a free beach and park yourself and swim.

Alternatively, look at caprionline.it and scroll down to bathing establishments.

On a dip in the sea next to the blue grotto, we stopped for drinks at a bathing establlishment called the Bagni Nettuno -- fabulous location right above the blue grotto with killer views and several beautiful pools overlooking the sea. Cost was about 12 euro per person to swim there, but if you wanted to take a dip in the sea by the blue grotto, you could just walk down the stairs to the sea.
Sep 17th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the information you had given me. I now have ideas of what to expect. My friends and I are planning to go on August 2005. I am sure that it is going to be crowded. Has anyone rented a boat to tour around capri? If so, how much does it cost?
Sep 17th, 2004, 03:34 PM

We took a private boat tour around Capri last summer ( July 2003). For four hours, it was $240.00! My advice would be NOT to do what we did, i.e. book through the hotel. You can probably get this same trip somewhat cheaper either by negotiating directly with the captains down at Marina Grande, or through the tourist kiosk in the center of town.

Sep 18th, 2004, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the warning weadles. Were you able to see a lot of things in 4 hours?
Sep 18th, 2004, 11:14 AM

There's a stand right next to the free beach that rents boats for 80 euro for 2 hours.
Sep 18th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Hi surfer girl. Which free beach in Capri? How many people can fit the boat? Thank you.
Sep 18th, 2004, 04:55 PM

If you are at Marina Piccola (where you get off the boat), past the kiosk where you buy funicular tickets, there is a free beach. The area where you stand to wait for buses is right in front of the beach. We didn't rent the boat, but I know it would hold at least 4 people, if not more. As an alternative, you can take one of the many boats that tour the island, such as Laser Capri, which charges 10 euro per person for a tour that goes completely around the island, and some stop at the Blue Grotto, if it's open, and wait for you to go in and out. One hour to 1 hour 45 minutes duration, depending on whether it stops at the Blue Grotto. This guided trip shows you the Villa Jovis, the Grotta Bianca, the Arco Naturale, the Faraglioni rocks, the grotta verde, the punta carena as well as the Blue Grotto (extra to go in).

There are other boats that go directly to the blue grotto that cost less, but I think it's worth the trip around the island, especially going through the rock in the sea.
Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:41 AM

My husband and I just returned from a trip to Capri (8/22 - 9/6). We visited a fabulous bathing establishment (mentioned above) at La Fontelina and the prices quoted are still valid. We thought it was really nice. As far as boat tours, we took a private tour for 2 (about 2 1/2 - 3 hours) for $140 Euro. I thought it was well worth it. The boat was so nice--our hotel set it up for us thru Sercomar (at Marina Grande). During our tour, we passed some of the boats that were priced at $40 Euro and they were crowded! We were very happy with our decision. If you have a chance, you should visit Positano--we took an amazing boat tour there (along the Coast to Amalfi) with Salvatore e Genaro tours--that was SO MUCH FUN! It was on our last day and probably the highlight of the trip!!!