Search

Lodging in Capri?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lodging in Capri?

Hello fellow travelers,
I am planning a weekend trip to Capri from Rome. I am looking for recommendations for places to stay for a college student on a tight budget. Also, I welcome opinions on whether Capri is too small to fill up an entire weekend. I hear Anacapri is a cheaper place to stay, too.

Thanks!

Old Apr 7th, 2007, 12:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know your definition of a "tight budget," but I know there are fewer options in the lower rate ranges on Capri. Go to www.venere.com and see whether there is anything that works for you. FYI, the Marina Grande area is probably cheaper but is also much less desirable than anywhere else on the island.

"Too small to fill up an entire weekend"? I don't think so, but what are you expecting/hoping to do on Capri? What time of year? Are you spending two full days and nights (or more) on Capri, or are you arriving Saturday morning and leaving Sunday afternoon?
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Capri Town get *very* crowded, so crowded I couldn't stand it. Anacapri is much less crowded, and the views of the sea are incredible up there. I vote for Anacapri for those two reasons.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 02:02 PM

Hi brian,

It would be helpful if you could post your nightly room rate budget. I thought La Minerva had great rate, but it might be too pricey for some people at 150 euro a night.

I have been to the Isle of Capri twice and prefer Capri Town over Anacapri. Different strokes for different folks.

But, how boring it would be if we all like the same thing!
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Hello all:
I am a college student, hence the tight budget and desire for a decent nightlife. For bars and a younger crowd, would it be better to stay at Anacapri or Capri Town? I can't imagine the island too big but I would also prefer to be closer to the main sights. P.S. I was able to find B&Bs for $75-100, including an apartment "Alle Ginestre" for $100.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 06:57 AM

capri.net is a good site for the island. It has links for "nightlife". What there is of it. There is more for younger people to do in Sorrento.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 09:29 AM

You might also want to check Hotel Weber and Villa Sarah.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Hey, it's the poster of this message, again. I would like to speak to someone in general about Capri, if they have a chance, about the sights, nightlife, beaches, etc. My email address is [email protected]. When you have a chance, thanks!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 01:08 AM

Hi Brian - You might want to check out Villa Eva - popular with young people and students.

I often used to spend weekends there ...

http://www.villaeva.com

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 01:38 AM

"I welcome opinions on whether Capri is too small to fill up an entire weekend" : I've twice spent an entire week there & it wasn't too long. But I'm not a student, not into nightclubs etc and just go there for a relaxing time in beautiful surroundings - maybe it would be too quiet for you if you are looking for a livelier scene.

"Capri Town get *very* crowded, so crowded I couldn't stand it" : I also prefer Capri Town and in my experience it is not crowded once you get away from the main square & the streets immediately off it : it's only a few minutes' walk to lovely deserted flower-filled lanes. And it's all fine once the daytrippers have gone.

What time of year are you going ? There will be more to do when it's sunning/swimming weather.

Each time I've been, I've spent one day getting a bus to Anacapri, hoping to go on the chairlift which was shut both times, then got another bus to the Blue Grotto, walked down the steps & got on a small boat to go into the grotto, then spent the rest of the day at the beach club next door.

Another day each time I've spent doing the circular walk to the Arco Naturale - first, harder way out & easy way back, including lunch at the nearby restaurant; second, easy way out, harder way back including a detour to the beach club at the Faraglioni.

There are La Certosa and the Gardens of Augustus to visit, in Capri Town.

There's also the walk up to Villa Jovis but I haven't done that - sounds a bit strenuous for me

But the rest of the time I've just spent relaxing, enjoying the views, eating, drinking & sunbathing.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Poster of the message, again-I will be going in a couple weeks actually, right at the end of April. I have a few options for places to stay, all bed and breakfasts. Seeing as how I may be up later than the buses shut down at night, I need to decide to stay in Capri Town or Anacapri. Since I am going in late-April, will it be more subdued around Capri Town?
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 05:04 AM

Brian - You're better off staying in Capri town, I think.

Unless it's changed since I was there, the nightlife in Anacapri consists of a handful of restaurants ...

Steve
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 05:05 AM

I've only been in June so couldn't comment on April. But I'm not quite sure what kind of nightlife you are expecting - I only noticed restaurants, small bars and hotel bars. Capri Town has several grand hotels with sophisticated bars, plus small bars in and around the main square. From what I've seen of it, Anacapri is a small sleepy village with one or two small bars.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 05:56 AM

Another vote for staying in Capri Town, although it may still be on the quiet side in a few weeks' time.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 06:21 AM

IF I were a young person and IF I had an interest in nightlife I would stay in Sorrento. When I travel I'm so busy during the day my nightlife is trudging my way exhausted back to my hotel at 10pm. You can always make an easy day trip to Capri.