Cappadocia scooter rental or car rental

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would prefer to rent a scooter when in Cappadocia but wondering if weather in early May would be too cool or too wet for a scooter. If I go with the scooter will I have better access to valleys? Parking would also be easier with a scooter.
With a car if it is cold or wet this would be the better option. If you have been to the Cappadocia area in early May what would you do?
Thanks.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 05:05 AM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
We were in Goreme in mid-May a couple of years ago. It was warmish - but not hot - in the day & very cool & windy at night with rain one morning that cancelled all of the balloon rides. In other words, it is a coin toss that time of year.

Ian
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Ian,
Thanks, cool and windy at night might be enough to make me think a car is the way to go.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 04:53 AM

Here's a chart of the average temperatures for Kayseri which would be similar to Göreme - http://weatherspark.com/averages/32429/Kayseri-Turkey

I reckon 20 degrees and sunny would be fine for riding a scooter. I went out on my motorbike this morning here in the UK - sunshine and 7 degrees - very nice in the right clothing!

With a scooter you can access tracks that you couldn't with a car. Be advised that you need a full motorbike licence for anything over 50cc.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Croesus,
Great sight for weather information thanks. Rain is my major concern and I can make that decision while there. I was not aware of the need for a full motorbike license for over 50cc. I do not have a motorbike license but have had one in the past. I am not sure I would be happy with a 50cc motorbike. Thanks for the information.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 05:18 PM
kja

I have full confidence that Croesus is correct when he says that there are some tracks that you can access with a scooter, but not a car. On the other hand, my experience was that most of the major trails would not be accessible to either a car or a scooter - one needs to park and then either walk or hike. Maybe it depends on which parts of Cappadocia you want to visit.
Old Mar 5th, 2013, 03:25 AM

I've done a bit of motorbiking on dirt tracks in Cappadocia, some of them you wouldn't want to drive a rental car along. Actually, I'm not even sure if you're allowed to, but my attitude is that if farmers can get to their fields by tractor then I can ride that track.

You could drive a car to this place - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...02411&t=h&z=19 - and then walk up Güllü Dere (Rose Valley) and then maybe cross over to the neighbouring Çallıdere and walk down that one. Although I'm not sure how feasible it is to get over from one valley to the other at the top end, might be a bit of a climb.

Here's a basic map of the hiking trails - http://www.atamanhotel.com/walkingmap.html
Old Mar 5th, 2013, 03:28 AM

Google Earth is a good tool for viewing the valleys, especially if you tilt the view, then you can see the profiles better.