Cancellation fees for Autoeurope?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't tell from the website how it works at Autoeurope. Do they charge your credit card when you book? What kind of cancellation policy do they have? Thanks.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 06:16 PM

Lina, phone AutoEurope and ask your question. The 800 number is on the website and they answer 24/7. As far as I know, you can cancel at any time. On one trip we extended our rental and on another we cut it short by a few days and there were no extra charges for having done so. But don't take my word for it. Find out for sure.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 08:00 PM
rex

In my ten years of dealing with the company, I think they have been very successful in negotiating great rates without having to ding prospective renters with a cancellation charge. But I am pretty sure I had one this past spring or last fall. They will indeed make it clear to you. And with the changing competitive environment in all travel-related businesses, I am not surprised that sometimes they are having to add a cancellation fee.

Computers have done this - - predicting and matching supply and demand has made a lot of bargains possible - - but it has also made it possible for companies to know when a cancellation fee is good business (recoups their reasonable and ordinary costs of holding space for someone who cancels late) and when it is bad business (causes prospective customers to not want to book with them in the first place).

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 08:22 PM

Just booked with them and they charged my credit card at the time of booking. But my understanding was that I could cancel up to the day before and get a full refund. They seem like a very reputable company and we were very pleased with our experience. Would definitely use them again. Of course, check directly to be sure!
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 08:23 PM

I've never had a cancellation fee with this or any other car rental, though there surely is some deadline, maybe 72 hours prior? When I reserved a car for 3 weeks this September, I was offered a 10% discount for pre-paying and the charge was put through on my charge card. This was on top of the 10% online booking discount which they gave me even though I needed to phone them to work out the details of the rental. I'd never pre-paid before nor been offered the option. I've found them to be a stellar operation thus far, knock wood!