Search

Hertz Complaints

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hertz Complaints

I recently rented a car from Hertz and was surprised to find to additional charges on my bill when I received it. Neither of these charges were mentioned when I ordered the car.
There was a miscellaneous charge that I was told when I enquired was for registration charges, and the other was for airport location charge (I rented from a major airport)
I am exploring the possibility of a class action suit against Hertz (If they have done this to me, they have probably done this to others)
They also charged me for 3/4 of a tank of gas, instead of 1/4, and only admitted their error and agreed to correct it after I had gone though 2 sets of customer service reps and contacted management.
If any one else has had problems with Hertz, especially these problems, please contact me at
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 08:10 AM

The airport location charge is pretty common - rental car agencies are assessed a fee by the airport for doing business there. The rental agencies then pass that fee onto the customer.

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 08:20 AM

Not sure what you mean by "additional charges."

Were these above and beyond what you were originally quoted? If you booked online, you'll find that you start with a base rate, and then you're given the final rate that includes all the taxes (including airport fees, state & local taxes, etc.) These can practically double the base rate in some areas! If you booked via phone, you should have received a final quote also inclusive of these taxes. I always find it's best to come prepared with my online printout.

It's no surprise--been that way for years, and it's pretty much the same for all companies. Certainly not class-action-suit-worthy.

Now if you're saying there were additional fees beyond what you were quoted and printed out, that may be a different story.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 08:39 AM

While you are gathering information it may be wise to contest the entire charge through your credit card issuer. They should be able to assist in ferreting out the charges and will withold payment until things are settled.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Did you initial the charges boxes when you got the car? Nothing is written in stone until that contract is signed/completed.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 08:58 AM

"I am exploring the possibility of a class action suit against Hertz"

OMG, not another lawsuit. get a life.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 12:16 PM

Re the "additional charges":

you obviously weren't paying close attention when you accepted the agreement at the counter or on-line

Re the gas overcharge: you really weren't paying attention when you turned the car in.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 01:45 PM

IPOD_ROBBIE

Agree!!! Just what the lawyers want you to do.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 01:53 PM

Sounds like normal charges based on the options you chose when you rented the car.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 05:49 AM

The more I think about this--given that it's a first time poster who has not returned to the thread and who immediately asks about a class action suit--the more I think this is an attorney looking to drum up business.

Apolgies if I'm wrong, but it seems very strange, and lawyers do make big fees on these suits and are often the ones to initate them.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

I haven't used forums very often, so wasn't ready for the quick responses. I appreciate your advice and comments.

This was only one of a few things that happened to spoil my trip. So when I got the bill it seemed like the final straw. Made the reservation by phone. Went to pick the car up after a long flight and was told that I had to go to another terminal and then told that office was closing in 5 minutes. My fault that I didn't read all the fine print as they were hustling me out. However, I didn't initial anything (charge boxes) When I returned the car, the Hertz office was closed again - in the middle of the day. So I put the paperwork through the door to be process later, I guess.

It just seems more and more difficult to get what you ordered or were promised. I will be more careful next time.

Again, thanks for the insights

Old Feb 7th, 2006, 03:50 PM

A few observations...

1. It appears that you do not have much experience in renting cars. Airport charges, "recovery fees", and taxes have been common for years.

2. Since you acknowledge that, "...My fault that I didn't read all the fine print", I doubt that you are an attorney.

3. It would appear that you are asking for a class action suit...because you didn't read the contract that you signed.

4. Can you explain what damages you suffered that you think warrants a class action suit?
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Let it go. NGrey has chilled. So should we. As you said, she hasn't had much experience renting cars. I'm sure that seeing this and that and a whatchamacallit all adding up to more than she expected made her feel like she was ripped off. Her last post was in a different spirit. I think we should honor that. Just MHO, of course