Search

Canary Islands?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Maggie

Canary Islands?

Can someone please tell me why the Canary Islands are on the Middle East and Africa board and not on the Europe board?<BR>Just curious!<BR>Regards<BR>Maggie.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 09:28 AM
xxx

because they lie just of the west coast of Africa. Look at a map!

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 10:13 AM
EP

Are they? Now that is strange, part of Spain being in Africa. Great geography.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 10:47 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>What about Guadeloupe/Martinique ?<BR><BR>They have a member of parliament in Brussels.<BR><BR>Equally they drive LHD cars shipped from Paris. European specification, see ?<BR><BR>You know it makes sense !<BR><BR>Peter<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 11:02 AM
xxx

No, it does not make sense. Millions and millions of Europeans vacation in the Canaries every year, and they all think it is Spain.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Maggie

Actually xxx, my geography is pretty good and I know that they lie off the west coast of Africa, about 90 miles or so.<BR>I have also visited four of them over the years.<BR>Of course the islands belong to Spain but they are duty free ports and as such do not enjoy the same benefits - if they can be called that - as mainland Europe.<BR>Tenerife also has, in Mount Teide, the highest point in Spain.<BR>I do wish Fodor's would put them where they belong - on the Europe board.<BR>Regards<BR>Maggie.<BR>

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 09:52 PM
xxx

EP - your point is what exactly? American Samoa belongs to the US but it isn't in the States. Or the Falklands belong to England but are off the coast of Argentina. <BR><BR>Just as the Canary's may belong to Spain but are less than 100 miles off the coast of Africa. <BR><BR>The Africa board is the logical place for them

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 01:51 AM
Gitta

I don´t know if the people who think Canaries should be on the African board are Europeans or Americans. I am European, and in my mind Canaries are Spanish islands that belong to the European board. I wonder what some Spanish person would think?

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 02:06 AM
Daniel

The Canaries are Spanish and European islands, no doubt about it. They can not be compared to French curiousities like the Departements d´outre-mer.<BR><BR>Sardinia and Pantelleria are closer to Tunisia than to Italy. Why are they not on the Africa board? <BR><BR>Why are Turkey and Kazakhstan on this board? I consider them to be Asian countries.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 03:10 AM
xxxx

x

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 03:25 AM
Robyn France

OOOPs! Guadeloupe and Martinique are departments of France, not Belgium.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:03 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>Guadeloupe / Martinique are French Departements.<BR><BR>My point was that just because they were French and had European members of parliament, no one considered them to be covered by the europe board.<BR><BR>So why treat the canaries differently ?<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 06:25 AM
Duh

I don't get it...French Polynesia has "French" in its name, is a protectorate of France, Air France flies there, many French vacation there as do other Europeans, but yet Fodors has it listed on the South Pacific discussion board. What is the deal with this?

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Daniel

So why are there a lot of questions about Hawaii on the United States forum? The islands are on the same latitude as Mexico City.