Canal Cruises in Amsterdam

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are traveling to Amsterdam for the first time. We would like some advice on the canal cruises and anything else you think we should know. Please tell us the most important things to see. Thank you, we are American senior citizens.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:24 AM

How long will you be in Amsterdam? When will it be? What interests you? What do you hope to see in Amsterdam? Do you want to take some day trips to other places in the Netherlands whilst here?
If you do a search on this forum, and on the web you can find lots of information about Amsterdam and what to see.
Maybe if you have look and see what appeals we can help you further with more specific questions.
As far as canal boat tours do you mean just the canals in Amsterdam or one that will take you to other places in the Netherlands?
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:13 PM

Maybe it's a good idea to put in your itinerary a visit to 'De Zaanse Schans" in Zaandam. You can visit the old, still in working order btw. windmills and houses there. Very nice!
It's my home town.
Anna.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:44 PM

Last time in Amsterdam we took a hop on hop off cruise. We got on in front of the Anne Frank house and got off at the Rijksmuseum.
We then reboarded after seeing the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh and got off near central station. Very handy.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 03:20 PM

As hetismij says do a search on the Forum. Type Amsterdam in the search box above. You might think about getting a guide book and a map while you are at it.

As for the canal boat cruises they are a waste of time and money in my opinion. Most Fodorites think they are great. I suggest that you hire one of the bicycle rickshaws instead.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. We only have two days and I was just looking for ideas. My question was which type of canal cruise is best. The one hour tour; is this a good introduction to the city? A dinner cruise is usually fun; has anyone been on one to tell us which might be the best? The hop on hop off cruise sounds great but do they give any narrative in English?
Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:40 PM

If your time in Amsterdam is limited I would stick with a 1 hour basic cruise. There are so many wonderful sights - Rijks Museum, Van Gogh Museum, Anne Frank house, several burghers houses that can be toured - that I wouldn;t spend so much time on canals.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:51 PM

Has anyone already the water(canal)bike.?
That's also a nice way to see Amsterdam from the canals.