Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Canadians Getting Married In Vernazza, Cinque Terre...Help!!?!?!?!!!

Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

We are looking for some help...

We are planning our trip through Italy for the beginning of September 2010. Our plan is, that while we are in Vernazza, Cinque Terre, to get married. I've started trying to find out information on how to do this, and have realized there are a TON of hoops and paperwork. We both have been married prior, his divorce was finalized this past September, and mine will be soon....I realize that is not the 300 days that they used to require, but from what I've read they say as long as I fill out another sheet proving I'm not pregnant that 300 day rule is waived.

I guess what we are wondering, is if any other Canadian citizens have done this - got married in Italy, and what the process was, how long it took, how/where did you find a translator...etc. We are not really wanting to pay the $4000 it is through some of the websites to do it, knowing we could probably figure it out ourselves, but we are just wanting to see if any fellow Canadian travellers have done this same thing.

Thank-you in advance for any help...
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 09:47 AM

First of all, Good luck and best wishes!

While my wife and I got married in Italy, I'm not sure how much help I can be. We're both Americans and didn't have previous marriages.

It is a bit of a hassle and we started the process about 6 month before the wedding. We had to travel to an Italian consulate (with a non-relative who could vouch for us being elgible to marry) to do some paperword in the US, then the US Embassy in Milan and a regional government office in Italy... and then the town hall in the city where we were going to be married (should be at least a week before the wedding, but they allowed us to do it for only 4 days). We also had to have a translator at the wedding.

We had an advantage of an Italian relative who helped (although she had never done similar before) and it was still an adventure.

That said, if you can pull it off, it's definitely worth it. If not, you might consider actually have a small civil ceremony in Canada and then an 'unofficial' church wedding in Italy.

Another thing that you didn't mention... is it a church wedding or civil? That will change some of the requirements.
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help....

I did hear that we could possibly mail the afadavit to Rome, rather than present it in person...as we will be landing in Nice, then going to Monaco, then Genova...then Vernazza for 6 days.

Where did you find a translator? Or was that your family member that did it for you?

It is a civil wedding we'd do, as neither one of us are catholic...

If you (or anyone else) has any contacts to get a hold of that would help out in Italy with anything that would be soooo awesome....

Thanks again for your help!!!!
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 03:40 PM

Our was civil and that worked out well... the mayor of a small town did the ceremony in a neat room in the city hall in Orta San Giulio (northern lake area).

We used a relative as the translator... unfortunately, she's way too far north help you out. I did have some info on some cheap translating services... I'll see if I can dig them up.
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

That would be awesome, we are trying to find out as much information as possible...

Are you Canadian? Did you submit all the forms and everything via mail or did you wait to get there and go to Rome etc. in person to do it?

If you can find that information on translating services that would be so excellent. Thanks again.
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 04:08 AM

We're Americans, but my understanding is that the process is very similar. We actually did all of stuff in person (in Milan in our case).

There was a significant hassle factor, but I have to admit that some of it was fun and we still have a lot of laughs about the whole process.

The translation services has something to do with local universities and used (graduate) students as translators. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 08:58 AM

Hello from Genoa,

you have to check with the municipality of Vernazza:
http://www.comune.vernazza.sp.it/comune/uffici.html
Try to mail Mr. Francesco Di Martino from the "Ufficio Anagrafe". If you need a translation service my wife is an accredited translator at the court of Genoa.

And my best wishes from a german married in Italy!!
Thomas
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank-you astein12 and Thomas, I will look up all that information as well. This is the first time I'm posted a question to forums, and I'm finding it so helpful, people are wonderful!!!!

Thomas, if your wife would be able to help us translate that would be excellent - we are still in the beginning stages of all this but securing anything is awesome....I will contact Mr. Francesco Di Martino (do you think he would speak english or should i translate letter into Italian)?

I don't know if it is bad to leave my email address on here or if there is a better way that I can send you it so we can communicate directly?

Thanks again!
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 10:54 AM

@dknelson: you can contact me at th.krueger <at> gmail.com
I can call Mr. Di Martino to ask him which documents he needs.