Can you recommend a hotel in Salzburg?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'll be staying in Salzburg for 5 days in April, hiring a car for the last 3 days.

I ideally want to find a hotel that has free parking and is ok to drive to / from each day without having too much trouble with traffic and city streets, and close enough to be able to walk into the centre in about 20-25 mins. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 08:52 AM

Hi! We stayed at Hotel Hohenstauffen last May. It was wonderful! I think it was $130 euros/night- possibly less. It is very close to the train station, about a 20 min walk to the Aldstadt. I am not sure about the parking situation as we did not have a car. The owners/staff are amazingly nice and helpful. Here is the tripadvisor link:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...rian_Alps.html
Enjoy Salzburg!!

Michelle
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 08:58 AM

We have stayed in the altstadt a couple of times at the Goldenen Ente and the Weisses Kreuz. We liked them both.

The Am Moos B&B has been mentioned favorably here but you will need to book pretty far ahead.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:08 AM

The Achat Plaza Zum Hirschen. Nice, comfortable "classic" hotel, free on-site parking (free for hotel guests, anyway), easy walk or bus ride into the old town. An even shorter walk to the train station.

What we liked about the hotel was its inexpensive restaurant with an emphasis on organic and regional food. Very good, much better than we expected. If you've been out sightseeing all day, it's nice to know you can get a good meal "at home" if you don't feel like going out again. Good selection of Austrian beer and wine too.
Number #6 on the Trip Advisor list (for what that's worth), just behind hotels that are much more expensive (except for the Wolf-Dietrich).
Final note: the hotel includes among its many TV channels a channel that plays the Sound of Music nonstop 24/7. Really. It plays the movie, there's a brief rewind/restart loop and on it goes again.
Fortunately, there are plenty of other channels to choose from.
Top floor complimentary fitness center.
http://www.achat-hotel.de/wEnglisch/...Uebersicht.php
the restaurant:
http://www.biowirtshaus.at/
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:19 AM

By the way, I don't know if April is "spargel" (asparagus) season in Austria. It was when we were there in late May. Anyway, my mother LOVED the white asparagus soup at the hotel's restaurant. We ended up eating there most nights of our trip (she was 79 and she often felt a little too tired to go out at night, plus it poured with rain every day of our trip, fortunately the hotel's food was good). She ordered it every time. I am not a white asparagus fan (I prefer the green variety), so can't say.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:23 AM

I must second BTilke's recommendation of hirschenvirt restaurant- the clerk @ Hohenstauffen suggested it to us. I had the most amazing weinerschnitzel there!

Michelle