Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you give me some fashion/clothing advice???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The details are Venice, Florence, Sorrento and Rome, Sept 30 - Oct 16.

I've been following the weather reports for all places and it seems to be about 20 - 25C and generally fair.

One thing I'm wondering about is linen at this time of year. I have two linen outfits, long loose pants with a matching shirt, one in oatmeal and one in a military green. I wore the green pants with a black or white tee pretty well all summer - it was my standard go-to for hot days. Sometimes with the shirt over the tee almost as a jacket. They wrinkle like crazy, but they're linen, so I'm trying to just embrace the wrinkles.

So my question is, will linen be out of place in October? Would one colour be preferable? Going into fall in Canada, we generally put away light colours - is that the same in Italy.

If I was going to Florida I would bring them for sure, but I have no idea about Italy. One post said Italians dress for the season, not necessarily the weather, so that got me thinking linen may not be a good idea.

If I get the ok to bring linen, do they get packed in between plastic? Read that somewhere. Perhaps that reduces the friction and therefore wrinkles?

Everything else is mostly black, either pants, ankle length cotton pants, maybe jeans. They can all be worn with sandals or walking shoes. No skirts.

I don't dare ask anyone here at home - they're sick of the topic already
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 12:58 PM

I wouldn't travel with oatmeal trousers as they can get dirty easily. My trick for linen wrinkles is to soak the garment in the shower then pull the fabric when very wet to get out the wrinkles. Let it hang dry over night. This method works very well. I don't think it matters what you wear as long as you are neat and comfortable.

Any place by the water can get cold and damp in October. I was in Venice once in mid October and it was quite cold anywhere near the water but Rome was warm so you'll need clothing for all temps. I'm not sure about sandals at the end of September. I think you'll get limited use out of them.
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 01:04 PM

IMHO, I'd take one pair of the linen pants to wear with black tops
incase it's really hot but I'd leave the rest of the outfits at
home.

I love linen, too and take it along folded - if I don't have access
to an iron I hang it in a shower to dampen it and let it dry with
wrinkles and all - but that's in the heat of a Roman summer.

When I've been there at that time of year the cool Italians have
been wearing down and scarves! Crazy yes, Canucks, no. And in
actual fact, nobody will be noticing what you have on anyway plus
few North Americans can come close to being as fashion-wise as
the Italians of either sex.

Your other choices are just what I pack, spring or fall and no one
has thrown rocks at me. At least not yet. I'd take a pair of dark
wash, slim-legged jeans to dress up or down with shoes or sandals.
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 01:21 PM

Hello, markland, I love linen but I would not pack a lot of it for the time period you will be in Italy. Perhaps the military green might be useful for Rome and Sorrento. My experiences at that time of the year in Venice is it can get cold and often there are storms. I would take (you can bring it on the plane with you) a longish jacket or coat that is rain proof. Black, that is always the basic color I have, even here at home. Do you have any black jeans? If so I would take that pair. I have commented that Italians tend to dress for the season versus the weather. Except for a pair of good flipflops (I take those for running out for coffeee early morning if the weather is conducive and as slippers if I want them in my hotel room) I personally wouldn't bother to pack any other sandals. We all have different opinions as to our wardrobes so no doubt you will receive different suggestions. I would pack as light as possible and take clothes that you feel wonderful wearing. For example, even at home I do not like jackets or coats with hoods. But many women do wherein I use an umbrella when necessary. I personally would take a rain outwearer that would fit over a sweater. I would pack with layering in mind. Wishes for a wonderful trip, I was planning to be in Italy at the same time but "life" got in the way, sigh.
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Hi LoveItaly. Life does tend to intrude. We were orignally planning on going spring of 2009, but, as you say - "life".

Maybe I'll just bring the dark linen trousers in case it's very warm in Sorrento or Rome.

So if it's going to be 25C, you wouldn't wear sandals? Are the locals out of sandals in Sorrento and Rome then? My other choice is Ecco walking shoes. I like the look of them, but not with anything other than long pants.

Oh, I hear you on the hoods. The only hood I have is on my rain jacket, and it wasn't something I wanted.

I have kind of a golden Michael Kors cotton swing car length coat that might be good, spring or fall weight. Or should I be bringing a leather jacket instead?

I'm beginning to obsess right about now!
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 02:32 PM

It very well may not be 25 degrees C in a month. Have you checked average temps? I'm assuming Rome is at the end of your trip in mid October. The 21 year average temp for October is 17 degrees; 21 degrees in September. The average number of days below 18 degrees is 27. You may be in museums or churches with marble floors and you will feel the cold.

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w...=&units=metric
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 02:57 PM

Hello again, markland. One time (Sept and part of October) I took a favorite leather jacket to Italy. I was only in the northern portion of Italy btw. When the storms arrived the leather jacket didn't do me any good. Thankfully a friend in Italy who wears the same size as I do loaned me a longish trench coat. I found with the leather jacket I was either too warm or too cold. So I would opt for your Kors cotton swing car length jacket as long as you can wear a sweater underneath it. And regarding sandals, no I would not bring any except for a pair of good flipflops as I mentioned earlier.

Like most places the weather has been unpredictable in Italy so again try to pack with layering in mind. Pants, whatever tops you enjoy, a few sweaters, your Kors jacket etc. I don't wear short sleeve Tshirts but like long sleeve ones. A black long sleeve Tshirt with black pants if it is decent weather. I have usually taken a black twin sweater set, short sleeve pullover with matching black long sleeve cardigan. They can be worn together or separtely of course. And btw, cashmere is a good material for sweaters as it is comfortable when warmish and also when it gets cold, especially when wearing the outwearer jacket/coat. I do always pack a silk dress, a black print or plain black along with a black skirt but that is because I need those when going to dinners with Italian friends as they all wear dresses or skirts. No need for you to bother with that unless you think you might want to be dressier a few evenings. If you have a few silk or silkish scarves pack those as they can dress up your outfit. If not that would be a fun item to buy in Italy if you think you would enjoy having one. Don't fret..pack as little as possible, again think of the possibility of layering and enjoy dreaming about the fact that you will soon be in beautiful Italy!
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 07:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would bring the olive green linen pieces, but not the oatmeal. I'd bring the lightweight car coat, not the leather jacket. I do wear sandals in the fall, so I'd pack one pair myself (assuming they are comfortable and good for walking).

I agree with the 'layering' approach, make sure every piece can be worn with most of the other ones. a nice quality tshirt, long sleeve shirt or silky lightweight cardigan over it, nice pants, like that.

Since I have no friends in Italy (boohoo & haha) I don't need dresses or skirts or nice shoes.
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 07:11 PM

markland, I've been in Italy in late September/early October and have been hot in Rome and cold in Venice. Be prepared to layer.
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 09:46 PM

"QUOTE" It very well may not be 25 degrees C in a month. Have you checked average temps? I'm assuming Rome is at the end of your trip in mid October. The 21 year average temp for October is 17 degrees; 21 degrees in September. The average number of days below 18 degrees is 27. You may be in museums or churches with marble floors and you will feel the cold.
END QUOTE

I agree wit this definitely need to check
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 05:53 AM

Hi Markland, Could you tell us what age group you're in.
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 09:35 AM

I often travel to Italy in October, though in the latter half. I would not pack linen nor would I pack sandals.

The Italians IMO and IME do dress more for the season than the weather and the weather in October is unpredictable.

For me, I pack one pair of tailored dark wash or black jeans that I wear with boots and silk turtleneck in the evenings. I also bring a nice park of black slacks for evenings that I can dress up or down. Some travelers do not dress for dinner but we enjoy freshening up and dressing up a bit for drinks and dinner so we pack accordingly.

Day time I wear black slacks and whatever top the weather of the day calls for. I pack camisoles to layer for warmth and some long sleeve t's as well. I like twin sets for mixing and matching. I pack my Cole Haan Nike Air walking shoes (2 pair) as they keep my feet as well as my fashion sense happy.

For outerwear, I pack a print pashmina for dry, cool nights and a lightweight rainproof trench for rainy days, which I always use a few times. I also pack an umbrella.

I like accessories so do pack a variety of belts, scarves, etc., to give me options without adding weight to my suitcase.
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Good advice all. What would I do without you all So, no linen and no sandals. Two pair of Ecco walking shoes, dark wash denim jeans, black/white/grey pants (sounds awful, but they're not!), 2 pairs lighter weight black pants, pashmina, rain jacket, tops.

Actually, that's what I had originally intended, but I began to overthink and outsmart myself (again!!)
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 11:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
well I'd take a pair of sandals, but that's just me. i also wouldn't take 2 of any same thing (black pants).
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 01:21 PM

I wouldn't take linen traveling in the Fall. It just isn't a Fall fabric (at least for pants, for sure) and isn't going to work with other things, like jackets, and layering. I wouldn't take oatmeal linen pants anywhere when traveling, to be honest, not even Florida.
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 02:04 PM

"i also wouldn't take 2 of any same thing (black pants)."

I bring only black pants and one pair of jeans, often black. For me, they travel well and always look nice. I dislike khakis as I find them unfeminine and there is just no other color that is as versatile with my other choices.

I am headed to Germany in late November and will be packing 5 pair in various fabrics and cuts.

Must be the New Yorker in me.