Can we fit in a visit to Delos?

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can we fit in a visit to Delos?

Right now, our two-week, mid-August (!) family trip (2 adults, 2 teens) to Greece is sketched out as follows.

Night 1: Arrive Athens (from Paris), take plane that night to Chania, Crete.
Nights 2-5: Stay Chania 4 or 5 nights (hike Samaria Gorge, beaches, ruins, rent car & see other parts of island)
Nights 6 and 7:Move to Iraklion (to see Knossos and museum or really wherever artifacts have been moved, given the museum's closure),
Day 8: take ferry to Santorini
Nights 8-12: Stay Santorini, Oia (relax, hike, Akroti, Thira)
Day 13: Ferry or plane to Athens
Night 13 and 14: Athens, possible day trip to Delphi, if time.
Day 15: depart Athens for U.S.

Question: I have read rave reviews of Delos. Is it worth re-routing to fit in a visit to Delos? Should we cut short our time on Santorini to fit this in? I have no desire to see Mykonos, so our thoughts are that we'd move from Santorini to either Naxos or Paros in order to a do a day trip to Delos.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Be advised that Akrotiri most likely will still be closed to the public this year but you can go to Ancient Thera on the mountaintop overlooking Kamari Beach. There's also a hiking trail between Perissa Beach and Kamari Beach that passes by Ancient Thera as well as a hiking trail between Fira and Oia.

It might take you 2 days out of your time on Santorini to get to Delos as the ferry from Santorini to Naxos may not arrive in time for the excursion to Delos that same day, meaning you'd have to spend one extra night there to accomplish this. I think you might be spreading yourselves too thin for relaxation and fun. Something to consider......
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Honestly, I think 4 nights on Santorini is more than enough unless you're on a honeymoon. There's simply not much to see, and the island will be overrun with tourists in August, not to mention maddeninglyl expensive. And I didn't find Oia nearly as charming as many on this board have. I felt it was way too tourist and expensive.

There's not much to "see" on Mykonos except for the Delos excursion, but it's a fun place, and the kids may enjoy the nightlife and beaches. I actually really enjoyed the day we drove around the island and explored some of the little villages. And the scenery on the north coast is actually pretty spectacular.

My only qualm about sending you to Delos is the August heat. I was there last May, and it was monstrously hot even then because Delos has almost no shade. It's a nice archaeological site, though, and well worth seeing, though not a "must-see" in the sense of the Parthenon. I might be heretical to suggest this, but I'd prefer to see Meteora than Delphi. If you want to add an extra day or even two on the mainland at the end of your trip, that might be a better choice.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 01:43 PM

Excluding the sites in Athens my first choice would be Delphi. It would probably be a toss-up between Delos and Meteora as to second and third. Four days on Santorini, in August, would be my absolute last choice!
Unlike some other posters I like Myconos. It has great beaches, it's a little more spread out than Santorini and Delos is an easy boat ride.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Well, we're pretty set on seeing Delphi. And, yes, I'm thinking that we don't need as many days on Santorini with a family. At least one of us has read so much about Delos that we'd like to try to get there, despite the heat. If we're willing to go a little bit crazy, would it make more sense to move to Mykonos or Naxos/Paros in order to do a day trip to Delos? I'm thinking that we'll have to cut two days off Santorini in order to do this, in any case. I don't have a good feel for what ferry timings/schedules are likely to be, and that needs to factor into which island we move to, in order to see Delos.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:04 AM
dgg

I've been to Delos which, IMHO, is a nice excursion from Mykonos. It is not a "must-see," and as has been described earlier, there is no shade. I also agree that four nites on Santorini can be a little long. The mainland of Greece is often overlooked. Delphi is fantastic and must be seen. If you take a day from Santorini, you will not regret going to Meteora. The drive to and from is long and not particularly pleasant, but there is nothing in the world like Meteora.

We've visited Greece many times and are going back with our family in July. Our itinerary is much like yours, but we are only staying two nights in Santorini and 5 or 6 nights in Crete. We are going to Napflion, Sparta (family farm there), Olympia, and Delphi. I'm trying to figure out how to make time to take the kids to Meteora since it's amazing!
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 08:51 AM

In August there are multiple sailings from 7 am 10 am noonn, to Naxos, and your teens would be able to swim from a sandy beach vs the volcanic beaches of Santorini. I'd advise taking 2 days off Santorini for Naxos, NOT mykonos... August crowds, and Naxos is bigger so can absorb, cheaper plus more relaxing. Take your Delos trip as excursion from Naxos; 3 hours on Delos is ALL you'll want in that heat.

As for Delphi, save it for another trip when you can go up the nite before. U have just 2 nights in Athens -- a lot to cover there, Acropolis, Forums, Arch. Museum, Plaka, Musical Instruments museum, Likovettus Hill et etc.