Search

Can someone suggest a travel agent in Portland, Oregon

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone suggest a travel agent in Portland, Oregon

Hi,

A friend needs some help in planning a trip to Europe. They suffered a bad experience with a travel agent in the past.

My e-mail is [email protected].

Thank you,

==Mike
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 09:19 AM
rex

Why a travel agent, Mike? Do they need some sit-down face-to-face time? With a 100 word explanation of what they are seeking, I'll offer an hour of telephone consultation for free - - as kindness repaid to you for our previous correspondences; bobthenav and others probably make similar initial consultations for free (or at nominal cost).

Are you unable to help them through their needs?

I'm not saying that travel agents don't offer something of value - - but incerasingly rarely, they are not a match for the Fodorite community, especially "at the cost we charge" (i.e., nothing but their time).

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 09:45 AM

At www.slowtrav.com you'll find some good travel consultants with far broader experience than most travel agents (though one IS a travel agent, and a terrific one).
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 09:53 AM

Rex,
What a generous offer! It's because of people like Rex that this website is such a gem.

Rex, if you could use another KLM/NW coupon, e-mail me at creativeinseattle and I'll e-mail you the numbers.

Best wishes,
Paula
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 09:59 AM
cmt

I've never found travel agents particularly well informed about travel, except for the mechanics of booking flights. I guess I just never found a good one, but at some point I stopped looking.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for the replys.

In searching for airfares to Europe and in the U.S. my travel agent has consistently found the best fares and flights.

Rex, as you know sometimes it's best to sit down face to face and discuss all the possibilities. It's an art not a science, right?

Thanks again,

==Mike
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 10:38 AM

I live in Portland, and was a travel agent in a prior life. Europe is not a heavily promoted destination on this part of the left coast. Most agencies are selling Mexico, Alaska, Hawaii, and/or cruises, mostly to those same destinations. You really do have to be lucky to find an agent who knows half as much as can be learned from a little research on this site. I'd take Rex up on his offer
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 11:42 AM
rex

So kind of you, paula - - as a matter of fact, I have two NW/KL certificates myself - - and I feel guilty that I have not offered them up to the public already! I keep thinking I will think of some use for them, although my spring continues to be full of potential surprises and maybe-this'es and maybe that's...

So, if you;re reading this, and need some - - from Paula AND from me, state your case! My e-mail address is here, and I can be a go-between for Paula, if appropriate.

Let me know if I can help, Mike.