Can someone put me out of my Misery

Apr 24th, 2006, 01:42 PM
adamriemer

Can someone put me out of my Misery

Im leaving next thurs and still have lots to do. I will be arriving in Florence by train on Thursday May 11 ay 7am. I have to fly out of Rome on May 19, and have made reseration at Yellow Hostel in Rome from May 15- 19. I just can decide if I should spend a night in one of Cities in Cinque Terre or make a day trip out of it and return to florence for night. Is it even worth it to visit florence for 2 nights being that im 24 and would like to enjoy just a little bit of some nightlife

Basically, IM thinking of Speding 2 nights in Florence w/ day trip to cinque terre and other day touring florence and visitng musemums. The next 2 nights I would visit naples/pompei, and then rome for my final 4 days.

I know this is very basic, but what im aking is if this sounds good. Everything is open for suggestions/changes except my reservations in Rome.

Apr 24th, 2006, 02:35 PM

You're trying to do too much in too little time. Leave out Naples and Pompeii on this trip.

May 11-12 Florence (2 nights)
May 13-14 Cinque Terre (2 nights)
May 15-19 Rome (4 nights)

You can, if you must, do a day trip to Naples and Pompeii on one of your days in Rome. You'd have to leave very early (7:25 with a high-speed train that gets you into Naples at 8:52). Go up or down one floor (depending on where your Rome train comes in) to the Circumvesuviana commuter train. Take it as far as Pompeii Scavi, right across from the entrance to Pompeii. Spend 4 hours at Pompeii, take the Circumvesuviana to Naples, spend 4 hours in Naples, take a late train back to Rome.
Apr 24th, 2006, 03:18 PM
adamriemer

My only concern about your suggestion is that I am young and although very enthused to visit museums/sitesee, I wonder if I will get bored (i know thats a horrible thing to say) and would rather be on go.

Apr 24th, 2006, 03:38 PM

You sound more like a 4-year-old than a 24-year-old!
Apr 24th, 2006, 03:59 PM

Adam:

We were only in Florence for one night recently (we arrived at about 1 pm and left at 6 pm the next day). While we weren't able to see every single thing that piqued our interest there, we did see the Duomo and climb to the top, the Uffizi, and the Accademia. We even stopped at a couple of other churches and museums and crossed Point Vecchio bridge (full of gaudy gold jewelry shops). From every vista we could see the green hills beckoning, and we wished we had saved a day for some hillside explorations. Would we have gladly spent another night in Florence? Yes. But, we probably would've used that extra day for exploring outside of Florence.
Apr 24th, 2006, 04:11 PM
adamriemer

Theres no need insult me elloise. I seek to gain useful knowledge to apply for my trip from all the nice members here. Maybe there should be a seperate fodorite forum for grouches like you, huh???

Apr 24th, 2006, 04:12 PM

I say get off the internet and go on your trip (just kidding/partly). Board like this can make things more confusing than they need to be.

If you have plane/trian tickets and a reservations in Rome for the end of the trip... why not make one more reservation for the 1st night in Florence and then play it by ear from there. Nothing you are describing is so incredibly complicated that you couldn't figure it out as you go along. If you get bored, go to the train station and get on the next train to somewhere else. Really.
Apr 24th, 2006, 04:53 PM
rex

<< I seek to gain useful knowledge to apply for my trip from all the nice members here. >>

I can't tell that from your message header.

I thought you were seeking someone to assassinate you.

Best wishes,

Rex
Apr 24th, 2006, 05:01 PM

I think suze is giving you the right advice. You are very likely to meet people you're own age, and you can decide in Italy what you want to do. If the weather is nice, you might want to do something outdoors. If not, you'll be just as happy to get out of the rain and visit Museo San Marco in Florence.

Also, when you see the hillsides of Tuscany in spring, maybe you'll just want to take a train or bus and get off somewhere and walk around.

But if you want nighttlife, Florence has got a lot more than Cinque Terre. And Rome has got the most.

Apr 24th, 2006, 05:04 PM

I agree w/ above post -- nightlife in Rome, Florence, and CT, in descending order. CTE awfully quiet for your age from from my recollection of 2 nights three days there; if someone else found nightlife then by all means they can post info about it here.

My younger colleagues/friends did find some night action in Florence, but Rome seems liveliest of all.

Not every trip has to be about museums etc. so I say skip Pompeii etc. this trip and go for the popular culture instead.
Apr 24th, 2006, 05:06 PM

Eloise, you sound like some crotchety old 90 something year old..

And some people wish that we would all follow the hidden book of Fodors rules to the T..when all we want to do is ask questions and talk about trips.

Adam, it is possible to overdose on museums, that is a valid worry. I usually try to see one huge museum or a couple of smaller types in a day on a trip..and not every day. So you might want to see if you just visit the places that really call to you or just the huge ones and hope for a second/third trip to see more. Don't feel that you have to see everything in this trip , you will end up not soaking it in, you will be so frazzled.

I also think more time in Florence would be worthwhile..

Don't be Miserable..it gets overwhelming, but it is SO worth it when you get there!
and don't worry about having ALL the information you need, some of the best trips include surprises and unexpected adventures.
Apr 24th, 2006, 08:46 PM
adamriemer

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better. I agree best times are usually from the unexpected. Im not really miserable, but about once a day, I feel like i havent done enough to prepare and ask as many questions as possible.

Thanks Again, except for Elloise

Adam

Apr 24th, 2006, 09:48 PM

Adam, we are never fully prepared for anything! lol

I am sure you have the Big things covered by now, make a loose itinerary and put down the things that you reeally want to see or do. If there is time left in a day, you can just leave the rest to happenstance .

You can definitely keep tweaking the itinerary and post it here for more advice or approval

You are going to post a trip report when you come home, aren't you?
(you know, that is a condition of getting advice here you owe us )
Apr 24th, 2006, 10:09 PM

Scarlett, who the heck is Happenstance and how long have they posted on this forum?

Apr 24th, 2006, 11:26 PM

degas, happenstance is how you and that girl in the red dress met, don't you remember????
Apr 25th, 2006, 08:25 AM
MaureenB

There are lots of college students who spend a semester in Florence and Rome, so there's a fair amount of nightlife geared to your age group. You may be there between semesters, though, but I'll bet you'll still find plenty of twenty-somethings around those two cities. Are you definitely wanting to get to Cinque Terre? Because CT-Rome creates a longer train ride than going Florence-Rome direct. San Gimignano makes a nice day-trip from Florence I'm told.
I, too, suggest you drop Naples/Pompeii from this short itinerary, unless you do the day-trip recommended above.

Apr 25th, 2006, 08:56 AM

I spent several weeks backpacking around Europe in 2002 right after I finished grad school. I was almost 23 at the time so a bit younger than you, but probably pretty close in interests. My friend and I ended up changing our "itinerary" at least once a week based on people we met that we wanted to travel with for a bit, places we really liked or didn't like much at all, etc. I think you should go with a general idea of what you want to do and have some reservations lined up for your first few days and then allow for flexibility. Happy Travels and remember that if you miss something big... you'll just have to go back! ;-)
Apr 25th, 2006, 09:06 AM

Go with Eloise's itenerary! There is a great bar in Vernazza in the Cinque Terre called The Blue Marlin. My husband and I were there last week and had a blast! We're in our 20's. It's not a night club, but it was a great bar full of all sorts of people! I wouldn't miss Cinque Terre for Naples and Pompei.