Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can I use a harness on my toddler in Italy ?

Aug 19th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Mom

Hello! For his safety and our peace of mind, we bought a harness for our child. Has anyone seen them used there or will we be looked down upon because we have our child on a "leash"??? Thanks for your intelligent responses!!!!

Aug 19th, 2002, 08:02 PM
Mark From Minnesota

An excellent question!

Aug 19th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Mom

Thanks Mark! Do you have any insight??

Aug 19th, 2002, 08:21 PM
Mark From Minnesota

Not really. Am going in a month with a 2 1/2 year old and a 4 1/2 year old. Some family members think that we should buy/use the harnesses. I personally don't want to, though I also don't want to lose the kids. I am going to bring two strollers instead. Could be a bit of a hassle and much bigger than harnesses, but this way when their legs get tired (which happens often and I know we will do a lot of walking) they will be able to keep up in a stroller. Plus they can nap in the stroller and we can keep going.
I guess though the harnesses seem practical, I just don't like the way they look or may be judged. (I am not judging you at all). Plus in the crowds, I'd hate to get tangled around people.
So no right or wrong answer from me, just my gut.

Another important tip that I intend to use is...
I will have little (business size) cards in their pockets with the current hotel's info on it plus a phone number for relatives back in the states, etc.
That way, if GOD FORBID we get separated, someone will know where we are staying.
Hope this helps and that I am not rambling.
When are you going to Italy and which cities?

Aug 19th, 2002, 08:39 PM
tracy

I'm sure I saw both harness and strollers(small,folding type) being used in Italy. I think in high traffic areas you must carry your small child because some cars, vespas, etc. drive close to the curb. Have a good trip.

Aug 20th, 2002, 01:16 AM
Ellen

Mom, that's a good question.
Sorry I don't know about Italy. In the UK, yes, yes, yes - no problem.
In Switzerland, Austria and Germany it's a no-no - for the very reason that you give. So possibly in north Italy, too?
Are you sure that you really care what people think? As long as your baby's safe, I don't think it matters. Do you?

Aug 20th, 2002, 03:29 AM
invisible

In the UK its OK. Suggest when in UK you keep the toddler bound hand and foot with duck tape across it's wailing mouth. Don't take toddler into adult pubs moaning about how the smoke will affect poor Timmy's asthma. Keep toddler in kiddy's pool at leisure centre. Don't be boastful about your toddlers under-achieving. In fact, leave toddler at home when in UK.

Aug 20th, 2002, 03:30 AM
You've got to be

If you want to use the harness approach to keeping your kids in control, suggest you first go to dog training obedience school. "Heel" and "Sit and Stay" education will come in very handy.

You've got to be

Aug 20th, 2002, 03:47 AM
amy

Dear Mom: I don't know how it's viewed in Italy, but I can sympathize with your need to ask the question. Remember the Scandanavian parents who outraged US citizens by leaving their child sleeping in the perambulator outside a restaurant in New York? Different cultures, different practices.

My oldest child was a "climber." She would detach herself from the stroller and scuttle up anything. Our local mall had a railing she was particularly attracted to. Three-story drop. Still makes my heart stop.

What I used was a wristband attachment. It was more discreet and didn't cause the raised eyebrows. Just needed it for two months--then she moved onto the next stage of development and has been "sane" ever since.

Well, comparatively.

Aug 20th, 2002, 03:54 AM
Cristina

Bring the harness. There is no problem with using it (ignore all of the ignorami). I was speaking with the mother of our neighbor yesterday (here in Siena, mother born and raised in Volterra). We were talking about my very rambunctious 4 year old and she said her children were the same 30 years ago. She was given a harness for her oldest by her mother and highly recommends them. This just as a POV from an Italian in Italy

Aug 20th, 2002, 04:00 AM
Alice Twain

Harnesses have been out of common ue since some 10 years, this means since Italian mothers started keeping children seated in strollers until the age of 5 or 6 (I swear, some do!), but they have been used until than. Also remember that Italians are used to behaving towards children in a more pargmatic way: children abusers are not tolerated, but a well deserved slap on the thight is not though of as an abuse (and indeed it is not).

Aug 20th, 2002, 08:42 AM
also

In reponse to your questions:
This year, in Italy, I saw a harness on a child and I couldn't believe people would use such a thing in 2002 .
You asked for our opinion.

I can also tell you that in the 2 recent trips I made in Italy, I only saw once a harness.
I can also imagine that it won't be easy using a harness or two in the crowds...

Aug 20th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Alice Twain

Also:

it may look bad, but harneses are great for children who just started to walk: it allows them to move around with no risk of falling and stay in check of the adult in charge still allowing a good measure of independency. For the adult, it allows checking on the child without having to stoop and hold his hand.

Aug 20th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Some knowledge

Frankly, I think a harness on a child is just a poor excuse for a parent being lazy.

Alice, if the child is that young, you don't want it to be walking around cities in Europe. You are going to have your hands full just by dragging along a very young child.

Some

Aug 20th, 2002, 09:28 AM
xxx

I live in northern Italy. When my toddler was new at walking, I used a harness on him.
I live in the center of my city on a very busy street, and didn't want to take chances, of one of us letting go of the others hand and him falling or running into the street.
Also, when they are first learning to walk, they do not always want to be held onto, and you do need to go outside for fresh air every now and then, so a harness if perfect to give security and catch them if they fall.
I am assuming since you say a leash, your child is older and can walk just fine.
If this is the case, again, you will not be looked down on if your child is wearing one.
Being a tourist, you are most likely to always be around crowds, and this will just give you a little extra peace of mind.
Who cares what others think when it is your child, it is always best to take every precaution possible where children are concerned.

Aug 20th, 2002, 10:04 AM
MLK

I don't think anyone who is horrified by the idea of a harness has ever had a child, or if they did, they lucked out with a docile "stroller potato."

I think a harness or a wrist-to-wrist line is an excellent idea for wandering toddlers, and actually some kids like it -- a sense of some independence without ACTUALLY being out of contact w/mom (classic 2-yr.old psychology). But you still need to keep an eye on some of the sprinters -- esp. close to moving traffic.

Aug 20th, 2002, 11:32 AM
tracy

A reply to "youve got to be kidding". Harnesses for toddlers are not used to "control" children, but to keep them from danger, just like strollers.

Aug 20th, 2002, 11:44 AM
ignore

Mom,
I have several wonderful pictures of my sister and me when we were little, here, there and everywhere with our little harnesses...these never seemed at all like leashes, we knew M&D loved us and didn't want us to get lost in the crowds. We had very long leads! When we were safely at home we were free to run and roam. I've seen harnesses all across Europe(including Germany), and there were no angry mobs stoning the mothers and trying to liberate the little commrades.

Aug 20th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Mom

WOW! I have just had a look at all of your responses and thank you all so much. You ALL reflect how I feel as I have a a tough time deciding since I have never used a harness with him but I am definately nervous just "holding his hand". We are using a stroller most of the time but he can only take so much of that. I have decided to buy the traditional as well as the wrist-type "harness" and see how I feel when we are there. One reason I have looked into this is because we will be in Rome (busy city), the Amalfi Coast (steps, cliffs, water, etc.) as well as other minor tours we may do. We are going in less than 2 weeks. This trip is definately going to be interesting with a 2 year old but the main purpose is for a family wedding in Andria (Bari) and they would like to meet him. So there you have it. Quite an interesting discussion. And Mark, thank you for the business card idea. I have also thought of a simple ID bracelet. And no, I am not lazy, just a little nervous!! Take care all of you!
Mom

Aug 20th, 2002, 06:42 PM
mile

Be a responsable parent and keep an eye on the kid and he won't get lost or looked down .People in Europe do not use
leashes on their kids. Take a stroller
with you , your kid will be safe and you
will enjoy the trip and have your peace of mind,Also remember all the walking you will be doing , he is going to get tired too. Europe is very child friendly
no one is looking upon your kid to still them.As an extra precaution my mom used to tape or straple a hotel business card with the her name and room #. Relax if there is 2 of you switch days and have 1 in charge of the kid that day.
Have a nice and safe trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO