Search

Calling zebec re Lyon

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2024, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling zebec re Lyon

Hi zebec,
Long ago (2021) you posted in a thread I'd started about unexpectedly great cities. Here's your post:

Lyon has a fabulous weekend market @quai St. Antoine. Also, happy to provide contact info for the Lyon couple who rented to us in the Old Town. Atmospheric location literally within the 'miraboule' (traboule) called 'La Tour Rose'.

We're thinking of going to Lyon in the fall (if I'm not already too late to make plans) and would be very interested in the rental in Old Town if you're still willing to share the information. I'm not sure you're allowed to do that here, unless the rules have changed, but you can always send me a private message. I've googled it but I'm seeing a few things by that name, one of which is temporarily closed. And thanks for the market suggestion. I love the European markets!
Many thanks
GTG
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 08:21 PM

Hi GTG.
As for that apartment, *below is everything from their business card. If you saw Coquelicot's recent 'In Need of Inspiration' thread and its attached article links, the very first link at the top features a foto of the traboule below that very apartment!
The apartment itself is somewhat modest but is plenty OK. But its overall setting within that miraboule is A++ - like a staged theatre setting. Note that the adjoined tower and the other buildings there also feature their own other rental apartments.
Finally, just up the road there is a luxe hotel with the same name - not to be confused.
That market across the river is excellent and also has added value nearby: on the same day, there is often a good-quality Braderie (pottery) market PLUS a stamp collectors market.
Chez Jules is a great little boulangerie that also sells salads and stuff. very popular with locals of all ages. I rest my case.

*Lyon-Renaissance
Patrick & Francoise Mouton phone 33 (0) 427893058 and also mobile 33665032434
[email protected]
www.lyon-renaissance.com
3 rue des Tourelles
Lyon

Last edited by zebec; Apr 15th, 2024 at 08:53 PM.
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, zebec. That's a wealth of information! I'm on my way to NY for a few days and as soon as I get home I'm going to start planning Lyon (and Barcelona, just in case you have any info about that).
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 07:42 AM

Studying Barca as we speak...err post, GTG. Happy to later share info.
Apparently they speak Spanish there.
I am done. the well wishes to the NY-bound Fodorite
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, zee. As soon as I can gather a little pre-planning (isn't that redundant?) intel I'm going to put this into the hands of a travel agent. I've never used one before but all that shopping around for airfares/times/dates, hotels, apartments, neighbourhoods, etc., that I used to be happy to do, now seems daunting. I'm going to give her (friend of my sister) my preferred neighbourhoods and a couple of lodging ideas to look at and let her do the rest!
NY was fab!
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 08:38 AM

Been watchi binging old 'Law and Order' episodes recently, so NYC of the recent past is in our minds now, GTG.
Det. Lenny Briscoe, (Canuck actress) Jill Hennesey, Sam Waterston et al.
Good to hear that things went well.
Perhaps we'll be trading NYC tips for Barca ones!
cheers
I am done. the reesurch
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 12:13 PM

If you are referring to Barcelona, I wouldn't call it "Barca", that's a tourist thing to do, it kind of annoys some people who live there. Like when tourists call San Francisco "Frisco". I used to live in California a long time and find it really irritating when tourists call it "Cali", myself. Although the horrors are my nephew moved there and he calls it that sometimes.

That is actually a nickname for the soccer team FC Barçelona (although they don't pronounce it like barka either and use the cedilla when using that nickname specifically to avoid calling it what sounds like Barka, they call it Barça).
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 07:18 PM

Thanks for the clarification Christina, we know zilch about that city and have never been clear as to its nicknames.
I had even forgotten that it has a beach - LOL!
Toronto is sometimes referred to as 'T.O.'

I am done. the chorus to 'Dreamline'