Calling Bobthenavigator!

Search

Calling Bobthenavigator!

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling Bobthenavigator!

Our family of four will be visiting Italy again this September thanks to our frequent flyer miles. My husband and I will fly into Venice September 1, stay in Venice for 3 nights, then rent a car to pick up our two adult daughters at the Florence Airport. During the course of the next 7 days we'll be visiting Montalcino, Pienza, Montepulciano, Cortona, Perugia, Assisi, Deruta, Todi and Orvieto. We have hotel reservations at Locanda Dell'Amorosa in Sinalunga (who could only take us for part of the time) and Il Falconiere in Cortona for the balance of the time. We fly out of Rome on September 14 at 11:55 AM.

We're thinking of leaving Cortona early on September 12 to visit Castel di Sangro in Abruzzi, the town where my grandparents were born. According to Michelin, it'll be a 4-hour drive. We'll have lunch there, visit a couple of hours and then drive about 2-1/2 hours to Rome. We're not sure about going to Castel di Sangro because of the logistics. We would then arrive in Rome late in the day, and would like to spend the the next day relaxing for our trip back home. We'd like a 4-star hotel with an outdoor swimming pool if such a combination exists outside the city. So far, we have 2 options, but they're further away from Rome. We're considering the Parkhotel Villa Grazioli just outside Rome....a 40-minute drive to the airport, even though they do not have a pool. We're also looking at Hotel Torre Sant'Angelo in Tivoli, a 1-hour drive to the airport. Does anyone have any recommendations? Or....would we be better off staying in Rome so we'd have a shorter drive to the airport and leisurely enjoy Rome the day before our departure? (We've been there twice before) I haven't set up the car rental yet. I'm presuming we'd return the car to the airport unless there are other suggestions.
Old May 18th, 2004, 04:39 AM

Here's a place that nina found. We have also book there -- just outside Rome and a short distance to the airport.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34498910
Old May 18th, 2004, 08:16 AM

Sorry I missed this earlier.
First, sounds like a fabulous trip--can I tag along? I cannot comment on the diversion to Abuzzi except to say driving is not easy in those mountains and I always add 20% to viamichelin times. Of the hotels, I love the Tivoli option if you have enough time the next day. That loop around Rome will be crowded at rush hour and I feel one hour is optimistic. But, Tivoli is wonderful. Yes, I would drop at the airport--stay left as you approach the parking garages across from the terminals. If you stay near the airport, then the Satellite Palace in Lido di Ostia is a good option.
Good luck !
Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your input!
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:16 AM
ira

Hi Italy,

Am I correct that you will be within 4 hrs of the villlage from which your grandparents came and you are not sure that you want to go there?