Calanques/Porquerolles from Bandol

Old Jul 25th, 2018, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calanques/Porquerolles from Bandol

During our stay in Bandol next month we would like to take a boat to visit the Calanques. The Atlantide offers several trips each visiting either 6, 12 or 14 calanques. We are traveling with kids ages 10-14 and hope that they also enjoy the boat ride. However, I am not sure how many calanques is enough to see without feeling like it's too much, too long , etc. The duration ranges from 3-4 hours round trip from Bandol and I don't know if there are certain calanques that are must see. Has anyone done this from Bandol before or have any knowledge of it? Will this trip be fun for kids? Any alternative ideas to visit the Calanques?

We are also doing a sailing trip one day which won't go as far as the calanques but will give us an opportunity for stops to swim, snorkel and have some snacks.

We are also thinking of a day trip to Porquerolles and if anyone has thoughts about that I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 07:15 AM

Do you want to stay a few hrs in a (or each) calanque or just see them from the sea?
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 07:50 AM

Yes we have done so. But from Cassis and from Marseille. The trip you are looking at will include probably 2 hours of travel to and fro the Calenques. I'd recommend going closer to the parc.
As for whether therre are more must see, we didn't really see a big difference between one calenque and another. Our children were smaller but enjoyed it very much. We jsut stayed on the boat. We didn't make any reservation - we usually go to the port, select one boat and either have lunch or a drink before boarding. We have not been during peak season (mid july-mid august) though.

We do sailing trips with like you picnic and swims and thoroughly enjoy it. Next such sailing trip is foreseen this week-end ! Enjoy and don't forget a hat or a cap and suncream... Adn of course rosé wine, some iof the most famous of the region are from Bandol actually.
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

While I like the idea of spending time at the calanques, I think we are more likely to just view them from the sea. However, I did see one trip from Bandol that uses a motor boat and stops at the calanques so you can swim and spend time there. It's a longer trip and since we will be doing a sail another day(but not to the calanques) I thought the Atlantide seemed like a good way to at least view them.

Thibaut, I'm not sure the extra time it would take us to get to Cassis to get a boat there would make it worthwhile over just taking the boat from Bandol where we will be staying. We have visited Cassis before but I am not sure we will be doing so this trip. If we do, perhaps we will make that our day to see the calanques.

Anyone know much about Porquerolles? Is this a good day trip with 4 kids? It looks beautiful and we can rent bikes and go to the beach. I also know there are some wineries on the island which is appealing for the adults.
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 07:02 AM

We've been about a dozren times to Porquerolles, we highly enjoy it and the kids too. Port Cros is smaller but highly enjoyable too. You can rent bikes upon arrival.
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

We might do Porquerolles and the Calanques but if we had to choose one, which would you recommend?
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 02:08 PM

We enjoyed the trip from Bandol to the Calanques, but the commentary on the vessel was French only. My understanding is very limited and my husbands even more so! I believe the trip was about 3 hours and it was a lovely way to see the coastline. It could be a bit long for kids if they don't understand the language, but entertaining if they do. The other guests were well entertained and frequently laughing at jokes. I believe we went in 6 or 7 bays, slowly and with commentary.

We loved Bandol by the way, and stayed at the Hotel Ile Rousse.
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mrs. P and I did a day trip to Porquerolles some years ago and enjoyed it. We did a walk (level ground path/road hike), admired the unusual plant life, watched kids playing soccer, had a picnic (picked up on the mainland), walked to the vinyard (it was closed that day), had ice cream, made sure not to miss the last boat back to the mainland. There are no cars. A nice quiet place.