Cahir Castle and Rock of Cashel

May 23rd, 2012, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Cahir Castle and Rock of Cashel

I arrive in Shannon on Sunday morning and do not want to rent a car. I plan to take a bus to Cahir and then to Cashel. After visiting Cahir Castle and Rock of Cashel I will then take a bus to Cork. Questions:

1. Does it take a full day to tour each of the Castle of Cahir and the Rock of Cashel? note I don't need to rush through them but can explore them fully.

2. Will I be able to walk to each of the sites from the respective towns?

3. Is it better to stay in Cahir or Cashel?

Any other logistical information will be appreciated!

Thank you.
May 23rd, 2012, 09:54 PM

First you should check your options to travel in between Shannon AP and Cahir and Cashel at www.buseireann.ie
I think it should be no problem to get from Shannon to Cahir, maybe with one transfer in Limerick to the Waterford bus.
Between Cahir and Cashel you should also have a bus each hour in each direction. But you need to check that with the help of the online timetables.

1. I'd say you can visit each in 2-3 hrs. But you may also want some extra time to take a look at each village/small town.

2. Yes, the bus stops right at the castle in Cahir. And in Cashel it's an easy 15min walk.

3. Maybe Cahir, I find it less touristy and more "authentic" than Cashel. But Cashel is also nice.
If you stayed in Cahir, you could include a nice walk and back to Swiss Cottage next day.

My only question would be you will feel fit enough to do all this on day 1. If you stayed in either Cashel or Cahir (as I guess you plan to do), and took the bus to Cork next day it would be more relaxed.
May 23rd, 2012, 11:34 PM

I think I was a bit too optimistic re. the frequency of bus services on those routes you need to travel. On some routes you have just one bus every two hours. Between Limerick and Cahir it's almost every hour one bus.
Guess you will have to take a good look into the timetables to see if it will work out for you.
May 24th, 2012, 12:54 AM

Both are on the No8 Cork-Dublin bus route. getting there from Shannon is easy enough but matching with the No.55 through Cahir and staying there might be the best option.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1271066407-55.pdf

Both are "Authentic" The Rock dates back into pre history although the oldest remaining part dates back to before 1100AD and Cahir was constructed after the Norman invasions dating from the mid 1100's but the Castle as is was constructed 200yrs later.
May 24th, 2012, 03:03 AM

I did not mean that the South Tipp. Co. Co. artificially erected the rock and built a castle in Cashel as if it were Disneyland ;-)

Authentic was more aimed at the overall "look and feel" of Cashel and Cahir.
IMO, Cashel has a slightly more "touristy" look than Cahir, which probably can be described as (even more) quaint and bit more sleepy.

Traveling on a Sunday may eat up quite some time as fewer buses run, though. Especially the 2hr interval in between buses from Shannon Airport to Limerick (where you need to transfer to the 55 service to Waterford) may make it a bit difficult to get there within reasonable time.

From SNN to Limerick you should also consult the 343 timetable of BE and the SNN-Limerick leg of the Shannon-Dublin service of Kavanagh bus, but I am not sure that you will be able to get to Cahir (your first destination) any sooner than with the 55 service that gets there by 12.35pm.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1290185006-343.pdf
http://www.jjkavanagh.ie/Shannon.html
May 24th, 2012, 06:03 AM

Was not having a go about Authentic. In actual fact Cashel is Authentic Irish and Cahir is Authentic French (Norman) so looks more like what many expect a castle to look like.

Anyway. An option on Sunday if you get in Early might be to get the bus to Cork and then the No8 after dropping your baggage. There are as far as I know no left luggage facilities in either town.
May 24th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! My plan is to go from Shannon to Cahir on Sunday and spend the afternoon at the castle. Then either stay there or Cashel. Monday would be visiting Cashel and then taking the bus to Cork Monday evening.

Re spending the night, given that I'm not renting a car and thus it will be harder to visit smaller towns, I'm leaning toward staying in Cahir to experience the more "sleepy" town. My one concern is what to do with my luggage the next day when I go to Cashir - any ideas where I can leave it while I visit the Rock?

Since you seem to be in the know, I will also present my vague plan for the rest of the trip in case you have any comments: Spend a few days in Cork/Kinsale/Cobh (maybe a day each so Tues/Wed/Thurs). Then (yikes!) rent a car at either Cork Airport or take a bus to Kerry aiport and rent a car there and do the Dingle pennisula and environs on Friday/Saturday. Renting a car in Kerry would be better b/c then I could return it there, take the bus to Limerick and spend Sunday there and then fly out from Shannon on Monday morning.

I just booked the flights and leave on Saturday!
May 24th, 2012, 02:20 PM

It might be possible that your Sunday accommodation would hold your baggage whilst you tripped up on the bus to Cashel or you could stay 2 nights and set off early to Cork Tuesday morning.

If you don;t want to rent a car then you can use Killarney as a base and take tours from there, there are a couple of good tours to Dingle from Killarney and good links with Limerick. If you have an early flight out consider the Oakwood Arms in Shannon for the last night on the local bus route from limerick and €10 cab to the airport.
May 25th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Can I rent a car in Killarney? I would like to rent one for 24 hours to do the Dingle Pennisula.

OK here is my proposed itinerary:
Sunday - arrival. Bus to Cahir via Limerick. Visit Cahir Castle and see the small town. Overnight Cahir.

Monday - leave bags in Cahir. Go to Cashel. Visit castle and town. Bus back to Cahir. Bus to Cork. Overnight Cork.

Tuesday - Day trip to Kinsale (or Cobh). Overnight Cork.

Wednesday - Day trip to Cobh (or Kinsale). Overnight Cork.

Thursday - spend day in Cork. Train to Killarney. Overnight Killarney.

Friday - Hiking and biking in Killarney National Park. Pick up rental car in late afternoon. Drive to Dingle. Overnight in Dingle.

Saturday - Do rest of Dingle Pennisula - hopefully Blanket Islands. Return rental car to Killarney. Train/Bus to Limerick. Overnight Limerick.

Sunday - Limerick. Overnight Limerick (have special deal if stay 2 nights so want to take advantage of that.

Monday - Early morning bus to Shannon for flight.

How does that sound?
May 25th, 2012, 08:18 AM

Budget are the only company with a rental office in Killarney and you would have to change days as the office is (or used to be) closed most of the weekend. Might be worth renting and returning to Shannon after the Limerick bag drop, maybe call at Bunratty off the southbound bus back to Limerick from the airport?

Also double check with your chosen accommodation that they will hold your luggage before you make your booking. It shouldn't be a problem but best to send a nice polite email to check.

Which hotel in Limerick?
May 25th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Have rented from Hertz from the Killarney airport. The only automatic that Budget had was $160! Now have to figure how to get to the airport from town.

The Limerick hotel choices are: Limerick Strand or Absolute Hotel and Spa. Any comments
May 25th, 2012, 07:18 PM

I was going to say that I dealt with Hertz in Killarny but that was back in '03 so things may have changed. The office was downtown. The nicest people there sorted out the problem that the Shannon office had caused.
May 25th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

As you suggested looks like my only option from Shannon is the 9:50 but to Limerick where I will have an over an hour wait for bus to Cahir. If my flight and I miss the bus then the next one isn't until 12:50! Kavanaugh does not have any buses in the morning! I see there are trains from sixmilebridge - if I miss the bus would I be able to get transport from the airport to the sixmilebridge train station?

Thinking of staying in the Cahir House Hotel Sunday night in Cahir. in Cork (Mon-Tues-Wed nights) looking at Hotel Isaacs or Ambassador Hotel (looks nicer but seems less convenient to the center of town). Any thoughts on these?

In Killarney will do the Fairview for Thurs. Not many options in Dingle so not sure if I will stay there or not Friday night.
May 26th, 2012, 12:58 AM

Cab to Sixmilebridge will cost you €25 so might as well pay the €35 into Limerick by Airport Cab.

Cahir House did go downhill a bit a few years ago but is back up to a decent standard now and Sunday night should be quiet. (there is a nightclub Friday and Saturday)

I like the Ambassador but as you say the Isaac is more central.

Fairview is more hotel than guesthouse, well located and handy for O'Connors and Tattler Jack's which are a couple of mixed local tourist bars.

The Hertz office in Killarney has been closed for years pre07 anyway. Kerry Airport is 20minutes on the No14 bus.
http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1308580332-14.pdf

If I suggested staying in Killarney and just doing Dingle on a tour I would get the tony hates Dingle brigade moaning on.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...nty_Kerry.html

The Absolute get my vote for Limerick but either are decent river front hotels although which rooms you get on a discount bundle might be worth checking?
May 26th, 2012, 02:19 AM

Tony wrote "If I suggested staying in Killarney and just doing Dingle on a tour I would get the tony hates Dingle brigade moaning on."

Is that any worse than your moaning about Dingle? Leaving aside their usefulness as jumping-off points for trips (where Killarney does score well) I'd much sooner stay in Dingle than in Killarney.
May 26th, 2012, 02:41 AM

Knew it!
May 26th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Re the Limerick Hotel, my special thing includes an automatic upgrade

Back to transport to/from Shannon:

Arrival tomorrow is at 7:50 so I should be able to make 9:50 to Limerick which arrives 10:20 and then take the 11:30 bus to Cahir arriving at 12:35. That should be fine for afternoon at the Castle and hopefully the Swiss Cottage as well. If I miss the 9:50 I will probably just take a cab to Limerick.

The problem about leaving my luggage in Cahir while I go to Cashel the next day is that then I would have to get off the Cashel - Cahir - Cork bus the next day in Cahir to get it and then would have to wait 2 hours for the next bus! Will have to play this one by ear when I get there.

Now for big problem, return flight out of Shannon is at 9:35 am on Monday the 4th. I really wanted to stay in Limerick the night before and take an early bus on Monday (I believe bus is using the Sunday schedule b/c the 3rd is a bank holiday). However doesn't seem to matter if it is Sunday or Monday schedule b/c looks like there is no bus service in the morning on either day by either the bus or by Kavanaugh shuttle. Help! Is there another way?
May 26th, 2012, 08:37 AM

Cab again at €35 because the first bus on BH Monday 4th would be the 7am 343 which takes 45mins so under 2 hours before departure. If you are on a US flight with pre clearance you should be at the airport for 7.00am at the latest.
May 26th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

What is BH? I didn't see that the reg bus had any morning departures?
May 26th, 2012, 12:35 PM

BH = Bank Holiday
http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1290185006-343.pdf I doubt the 5am service will run.