C.T. & Tuscany anniversary trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2004, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here goes! First time to Italy . . .first time to post! Discovered this site a few weeks ago and have had fun "listening in" on the great questions and answers. Have found in the past few weeks, while reading numerous travel guides and visiting web sites that the amount of info seems overwhelming. Put that together with a somewhat detail oriented personality and you find your self "stuck"!!! Thus, the cry for HELP! Twenty Fifth anniversary. . .hoping for a relaxed trip. Leaving from Kansas City Oct. 18th Returning Oct. 28th. Have narrowed down the destinations to C.T. and Tuscany. Prefer the slow travel style. Here is what i have so far. . Fly into Genoa. . .train to C.T. (stay 2 nights) train to Florence with stop in Lucca. (What does one do with suitcases while looking around Lucca?. . .these are the types of details that bog me down!!)A night or two in Florence. . .get car... stay at working farm near San Gimiango or Greve. . .see hilltowns. Fly out of Florence. I've never done the train travel... but you all make it sound pretty easy. Other option would be to fly round trip in and out of Florence. . . and make the drive to C.T. a part of a bigger circle. I've appreciated tips on places to stay that have been posted recently. I chatted with a travel agent who specializes in Italy but decided i'd put in enough time on my own to pull this off. However, i need a friendly shove to get the ball rolling. Haven't been to Europe in about 10 years. That trip was to Ireland and we drove everywhere and just found B&B's along the way. It sounds like reservations would be a good idea here? Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 05:25 AM

OK what exactly are you asking and what is C.T.?
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 06:07 AM

You have a good start, but 3 destinations in 9 days is hardly slow travel. I would do 3-2-4 and fly into and out from Pisa not Florence. Pisa has more flights and is easy to access.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 06:33 AM

srice: CT = Cinque Terre.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 06:45 AM
ira

Hi WB,

Please space your writing with paragraphs. It makes it much easier to read.

Would you mind sharing your reasons for skipping Rome and Venice on your first visit to Italy?

The weather on the CT is going to be iffy from mid to late Oct.

I don't recall luggage storage at the Lucca station. You might wish to consider going to Florence and bactracking to Lucca without luggage. It's only about 1 1/2 hr on the train.

I suggest at least 2 nights in Florence.

Is staying at an agritourismo a major objective? You can easily visit Siena, Lucca, Arezzo, Castellina in Chianti, Montepulciano by train from Florence.