Buying Travel Insurance Online

Sep 30th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Buying Travel Insurance Online

If I need cheap travel insurance mainly to provide basic health coverage while abroad, does anyone know who's a good insurer or good websites to purchase from? Thanks.
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:30 AM

Try looking into Travelguard
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:32 AM

If your employer has a health insurance plan, it may cover you abroad as well. Mine does.
Sep 30th, 2004, 10:36 AM

Make sure you read the fine print in the policy.

There is usually a reason why insurance is cheap. Watch out for the exclusions
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:04 AM

Travel agents are having a hard time these days, and they provide a very valuable service, so I always buy mine from my travel agent.

--Marv
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:19 AM

One of the companies we recommend is "Specialty Risk International" (https://www.specialtyrisk.com/) located in Indianapolis, IN. You can obtain a quote on-line, or call them for additional information.

Regarding your own Health Insurance policy through the place where you work, private or government. Coverage while traveling abroad is extremely limited, except for corporate executives, and will not provide medical evacuation insurance (up to $50,000 in some locations), or cover your hospital stay, if needed, in a foreign country. Most countries in the EU will treat you, but you can expect to receive a bill for their services, most likely before you leave the hospital, so have your VISA card handy.
Sep 30th, 2004, 04:12 PM

Our insurance through work pays the same overseas as in the USA. There are preferred providers and non-preferred providers, just as there are here. Accident care is paid 100% for treatment within 72 hours, etc. They have toll free numbers to call to contact preferred providers or, if you are in a hospital overseas, to arrange direct payment to the hospital.

I carry the phone numbers with me. Fortunately I've never had to use them in the 30+ years I've had this insurance.