Search

Buying train tickets while in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying train tickets while in Paris

Hi

I'm wondering about buying train tickets while we are in Paris. We are thinking about a day trip to Reims and I was wondering if I could get the tickets while in Paris, without going to an actual train station.

Perhaps at the main tourist office? Or do they sell train tickets at travel agencies, as they do in Italy?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 06:53 PM

There are SNCF "boutiques" where you can buy tix; I think you are staying in the 6th? There is a boutique on the rue de Rennes, or at least there was a couple of years ago.

Have a great trip, Deb!
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Sue. How are you?

We are escaping to the 6th for Thanksgiving. We have what looks to be a charming studio on rue de Grenelle near Blvd. St Germain.

We will just stay for 6 nights, soak in some art, and have nice but inexpensive dinners planned. I really wanted one "live it up" lunch, but with great art exhibitions to see each day, it didn't fit the plan.

On the Monday, we may try to go to Reims; I am a cathedral chaser! That's why I was looking for something other than the train stations. I've now found a list of Boutiques SNCF. Super helpful.

Will you be in town for Thanksgiving? Hope you have a wonderful holiday.
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 09:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Often the wait can be longer in an SNCF boutique, because they operate as travel agencies, and a lot of the customers are also choosing accommodations and booking car rentals.
Old Nov 16th, 2011, 03:41 AM

tuscanfeedlit...just started reading a John Baxter book I hadn't seen before. The Most Beautiful Walk in The World, the author lives in the 6th on rue de L'Odeon. The book starts with mentioning Cafe Danton and it's fun to read, especially if you know the area. I have read 2 other Baxter books about Paris that I have enjoyed.

I love Reims! I think the cathedral there is spectacular and is my favorite in France, to this point. Maybe try to be at SNCF right as they open to avoid standing in line too long.

Maybe our paths will cross while we are in Paris. We are looking forward to it. I hope your trip is wonderful and that you make it to Reims.
Old Nov 16th, 2011, 04:05 AM

We bought tickets via www.sncf.com and print them at home. As we did this a number of days before travel day, we saved 1/2 price.
Old Nov 16th, 2011, 04:32 AM

I bought SNCF tickets 30 mins before our trip to Reins. We went local train (versus TGV). Catheralb was great
Old Nov 16th, 2011, 03:09 PM

Michel_Paris...how long was travel time to Reims on local train??

We bought train-(TGV) tickets at the Orsay RER station (below museum) SNCF "boutique" when we stayed near Blvd. St.Germain...."took a number"...waited for our turn.
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Kerouac: I did read that the boutiques can have long waits. I'm just not sure yet.

denisea: I'm certainly no expert on the area, but thanks for the book rec. I'll see if I can get it but we're leaving on Tuesday!
Perhaps our paths will cross. I've seen your photos on your Christmas trip report, so I'll know you if I see you!

valtor: I thought about printing the tickets at home, but we aren't really sure that we're going on this day trip. I think I've already missed any 1/2 off fares.

Thanks everyone.
Old Nov 18th, 2011, 04:06 AM

Nottingham,

According to the timetables on the SNCF site, riding regional trains from Paris to Reims (one connection in Epernay) takes 2hr1min and the 2nd class fare is €25.70.

A direct TGV makes the trip in 45 minutes and the standard 2nd class fare is €32.50. If you book well in advance (up to three months allowed), you can get a Prem's fare as low as €12.00. However, that ticket is for a specific departure date and time and is non-exchangeable and non-refundable.
Old Nov 18th, 2011, 04:53 AM

The boutiques work on a number system similar to a deli and waits can be long; some people take a ticket and leave to do other errands but of course, if your number comes up and you aren't there, you are SOOL. I would just get to the station early enough to buy your tickets or if you pass one of the boutiques, have a look. As grandmere wrote, there is at least one on the Rue de Rennes, not too far down from St. Germain, on the left side of the street if you're walking south.
Old Nov 18th, 2011, 11:38 AM

Here's a link to a map of SNCF boutiques: http://preview.tinyurl.com/darr8t

If you happen to pass one and they don't seem too busy just pop in. I doubt it took 10 minutes when I stopped at one for tickets a couple of years ago...