Buying Euros in the US

Old May 5th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Michael Snowdon

Buying Euros in the US

My wife wants to get some euro before we go, where is the best place to exchange in US.

Michael

Old May 5th, 2002, 12:57 PM
x

there's a booth on the corner of 45 and Main that can handle this. Even gives good rates and a free fanny pack with every $500 exchanged.

Old May 5th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Rex

Consider your local American Express office. I wouldn't recommend purchasing more than "about one day's income" before you get to Europe. It's going to cost you about 5% more than if you wait, but convenience and peace of mind is worth something to lots of people.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old May 5th, 2002, 01:02 PM
kittrdg

Don't buy a lot here - the exchange rate is crap. Wait and get it of your ATM or chargecard when you get to your airport destination.

Old May 5th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Bob Brown

Out of interest, I checked the exchange booth at Hartsfield Airport in Atlanta last week. The cashier was selling euro notes for $1.00 per euro. The wholesale rate that day was about 90 cents US for 1 euro. That is a markup of about 10%.
I usually wait, or get at most the minimum that the bank will sell me. !!

Old May 5th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Michael Snowdon

That is interesting while in LAX last week they were selling at 99C to euro and buying at 87c

Old May 5th, 2002, 02:44 PM

topping

Old May 5th, 2002, 02:48 PM
bettyk

I recently checked 2 different brokers here in Houston -- American Express and Thomas Cook (Travelex) -- as well as www.oanda.com and my local Chase bank. Oanda and my local bank had the best rates. My local bank was able to have the amount of Euros I wanted delivered to my branch bank by the next business day for me to pick up. There was only $2.00 difference if I had gone with Oanda. They could deliver the money to me within 2 business days.

Old May 5th, 2002, 04:47 PM
kelsey

Where are there Oanda locations? or is it by mail order?

Old May 5th, 2002, 05:05 PM
xxx

betty, your post is worthless without telling us the rates you were offered. $2.00 difference doesn't mean much if the rate of exchange was already something like 100 euro for $99.00 US.

Old May 5th, 2002, 06:02 PM
fc

If you have an account at Citibank, you can order them there for a decent rate.

Old May 5th, 2002, 06:20 PM
xxx

What do you consider a decent rate, fc? Apparently 5 to 7 % over cost? A rather expensive proposition if you are getting more than a few euro.

Old May 5th, 2002, 06:31 PM
bettyk

Dear unknown one, I purchased my Euro several weeks ago, so the rate is of little consequence today. My point is that there was quite a bit of difference in the rates from the brokers, but not much difference between my bank and buying thru Oanda online. And, I believe the purchase was for $200 dollars because that is the minimum for Oanda.

Old May 5th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Christina

Since no independent person can get euros "at cost", 5-7% over bank rate is not that expensive. YOu can't get them for less than about 1-2% over bank rate at minimum and many people pay more than that when using an ATM due to the ATM fees (which range from about 2-5% of the amount if you get $100). Since many people like to have about equivalent of USD100 upon arrival -- gosh, that's an excess expenditure of about $2-4 !!!!!! over using an ATM. Such an expensive proposition, better cancel the trip for another year. xxx is a good description of your thinking.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:36 AM
jmh

"You can't get them for less than about 1-2% over bank rate at minimum..." Where do you get this rate????